ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I plan on getting my barrel turned down to 12.5 inches at the local gun shop. Going with the PWS muzzle brake. It has to be pinned on. $150 they said. Didn't seem like a bad deal.

The question I have for you guys is, how much should that gas port be opened up for this, if at all? I know some people have had issues with getting their barrels cut down. Since I live in CT, there is no way I will ever get to put a can on this, so I am not worried about that. Just want the barrel to function with no issues. I never shoot steel cased stuff. I use Lake City ammo, or stuff similar, like to military ammo specs. PMC, Federal, ect.

Any info or input would be great. Thanks!

P.S. After I get all my work done, I plan to post up a nice picture of it. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Good luck man, I know it has to be opened up some but Idk how much, whatever it is it will be significantly less than an ar15 with the same barrel

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to hear how it runs with the 12.5" barrel. I've seen folks that have had trouble getting the gas right on them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to hear it is working for you. I have been looking at cutting down to 12.5" to reduce weight. How does the weight and center of gravity feel after the cut?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice, good to hear! I just tried my BattleComp today. I think I need to do some more fine tuning of the clocking and getting use to running a comp, but I would love to see how it runs on a 12.5". How are the groupings? I don't really want to go all the way down to 10.5 and sacrifice some major accuracy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice, good to hear! I just tried my BattleComp today. I think I need to do some more fine tuning of the clocking and getting use to running a comp, but I would love to see how it runs on a 12.5". How are the groupings? I don't really want to go all the way down to 10.5 and sacrifice some major accuracy.
Your gun isn't technically less accurate with a shorter barrel, though your velocity will be lower and that could effect point of impact I suppose. It's a common misconception about short barrels. Supposedly they are more accurate if anything because they are stiffer.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I should have been more specific, I mean at around 300 yards or so. All ammo has a variation in its muzzle velocity so when you lower the over all velocity by shortening the barrel those variations begin to greatly increase the margin which can have a reduction of accuracy down range... it is just not as noticeable when firing at 3000 fps. I am only looking to shorten the barrel to reduce weight, not so much for clearing my house. I have my Mossberg 500 and FNP 45 USG for that! :cool:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking this an hopefully someone will be able to come up with an answer for me. The gun cycles fine with it on Suppressed and Unsuppressed modes. Does this mean with the unsuppressed mode on, that the gun is cycling to hard? I may have the modes mixed up. I think it would be the unsuppressed mode that does not allow as much gas to escape.

When I first got the ACR, it was on "S" and would not cycle and I was mad because I didn't know what I meant and it would not load a new round.

Forgive me if all of this is stupid, haha. I am learning!

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
you planning on running it suppressed? it is overgassed for sure, but if you dont run a can it might be ok

i'd recommend closing it up a little bit if you can

1 - 20 of 23 Posts