ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like ESS CDI. Found some next to an extra mag in Bagram in transit and haven't worn another brand since. I also have their CDI max as backup and swap out lenses for each.

What choices do you make when selecting? (Or do you?) I will honestly say appearance is important. Sawfly, etc… I just don't dig the 80s sporty look. That may be flawed logic, but no one has ever shot me in the face, so I wouldn't know about performance.

My dad used to just wear his bifocals.

products_14_large.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oakley

They are expensive but I love em. I wore the flak jackets on both tours in the stan. I know they aren't on the APEL (Army approved eye wear list) because they aren't wrap around but for wear with a helmet they are just wicked comfortable for me compared to those damn wraparounds. State side when I'm training I use the ESS sawfly. It does the job and is relatively cheap to replace when they get scratched to shit. The Oakley's whenever I'm doing range time non Army side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the APEL stuff just doesn't work with my face. Working out of HQ ISAF, there were so many services from so many countries, no thought to hem up the SFC doing his own thing when he was out on mission.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I am glad this thread was started. I have been looking at the ESS. I need some good ones. I wear my costa's or some cheap clear safety glasses. I need some real safety glasses. I want the ESS so I can change lenses for day or night. I really like the Wiley X's but I'm not spending 200 dollars. My brother has some for work and he loves them and they have saved his eye's from large things hitting them(he works for a crane company). I would rather be able to change lenses out though, and for the price the ESS seem good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love Oakley also and wear them for everything , except shooting. The earpieces always bothered my head under my ear protection. So I found Smith Aegis Echo and they work great. Paper thin metal ear piece. About $90.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
You would wear Costa's you fanboi!

I personally wear Oakley half jackets, I'm gonna upgrade to a second set with clear lenses for night time shooting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I always wear the Oakley M Frame 2.0s and just pull the rubber off the ear pieces, they're comfortable enough with the Bose headsets in MATVs and I wear them at the range with Sordins and Howard Leights, and I've worn them extensively with Peltors. Are they the most comfortable ever? No, but they're comfortable enough, effective, and the Army gave me like 4 sets lol

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Costa del Mar is far superior to any other sunglasses I've ever had. I've had Ray ban and Oakley. The glass ones shatter easy but they are truly a level above the rest, especially for fishing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use both the ESS Crossbow (for sun glasses) and Suppressors (range eye pro). The Suppressor are great if you use ear muffs! ESS does have prescription insert for them. Replacement lenses and frames are affordable. Best deals I've seen are on eBay and Amazon.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completely forgot - since I don't need 'em - ESS does do Rx inserts. I don't wear ear muffs much. I prefer plugs. The standard sqeezy kind make me happy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And even though I use the Smith Aegis at the range, the best lens by far are my Oakleys. Oakley photochromic (change with the light ) are worth every penny. And they just announced a shooter lens called Prism at the SHOT Show.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have some ESS Profiles for goggles though don't wear them or the helmet much anymore. For shooting and hiking these days, I'm using Oakley Split Jackets in root beer/brown with a variety of lenses. I'd like to get some transitions but have clear and hi intensity yellows. I like them because they're discrete enough to wear out and about but they aren't as eccentric (or obvious) as M-frames, much less ballistics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been using my polarized Oakley half-jackets for just about everything - driving, hiking, shooting, etc. Thinking about getting a pair of Straight Jackets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts