ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
As long as it works for you it's all good. Looks like fun!! Love ACOGs, just cant justify the cost for me :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
What model Trijicon is that?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yeah, that'll never work. I'll take it off your hands though for $20. Hey, you wanted suggestions! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, Well, i want to MOD a laser, but im used to PEQ15's and PEQ2's, im looking for a laser if anybody has suggestions, i looked at the laser threads, just not impressed with all the negatives with suggestions given.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What model Trijicon is that?
TA01 ECOS. I just bought one myself and have it on my Bushmaster Gas Piston M4 currently. Thinking about getting that exact same set up, however.

That's a superb ACOG. Carried it in Iraq. 4x32, tritium in the crosshair for night, graded reticle, micro red dot on top, and even back up iron sights. They're not cheap, but a wonderful optic for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This TA01 was combat proven in Afghanistan on M4 platform the back up doctor sight lasted 9 months before battery change, and its quick and simple. there is also back up iron sights which are easily positioned and with a rubber hammer and poly pushpin with felt striking surfaces to avoid dings. doctor sighted in at 40m full zero with the iron sights and acog itself with combat zero at 25 meters then full zero at 100yds to ensure accuracy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How do you like transitioning between the ACOG and the Doctor? I tried one for a while. Granted it was not the best setup (not a BDC reticle, RMR red dot) and I did not care for it. The red dot's glass was giving me a bubble effect and I hated it because I had to completely change my shooting posture to view the sights properly. I think the BDC may work better with a horseshoe reticle or something, but I had to get rid of mine. EOTech with magnifier now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do you like transitioning between the ACOG and the Doctor? I tried one for a while. Granted it was not the best setup (not a BDC reticle, RMR red dot) and I did not care for it. The red dot's glass was giving me a bubble effect and I hated it because I had to completely change my shooting posture to view the sights properly. I think the BDC may work better with a horseshoe reticle or something, but I had to get rid of mine. EOTech with magnifier now.
Personally I think the "Doctor" red dot on the ACOG is good for what it is designed for, which is engagements that are too close for rapid engagement with the ACOG itself, and too far for "point and shoot" reflexive fire. For me that's in the neighborhood of 20-75 meters.

Transition from the ACOG's reticle to the red dot is easy for me. What takes some training for muscle memory is bringing the rifle from the low ready to the ready and bringing up the red dot sight picture. If you're not drilled on where you need to be positioned, it might take you a precious second to get that red dot into view. I carried one of those on patrol for about six months in Iraq before I changed jobs. I never had to engage an enemy with it, but I was comfortable with my ability to do so if required. Its all about knowing your system and being comfortable with it. I liked it enough that I dropped the coin to buy my own. Shooter comfort I know, I'm sure there are optics that are cheaper that would meet the same intent as this setup but I'm already comfortable with this one.

One other note, the "fishbowling" on mine is very slight and only on the edges of the glass. Granted, its a very small piece of glass, but the distortion is so minor as to not be noticable to me. To be honest, I didn't even notice it until I read in its manual that it existed. There is no distortion at the point of aim, and the magnification is something like 1.07 by the manual, which I also cannot detect.

All in all, I think its a superb combat optic. Its a jack of all trades and master of one, which is ranged marksmanship. The graded reticle is superb in my opinion.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Very well put busboy,

This is actually the exact same setup I'm running. The new muscle memory is key because the user is implimenting both the traditional cheek weld for the ACOG, and a chin weld for the Red Dot. To everyone their own, some prefer tilting their weapon to acquire a sight picture through an angled redot, while others may prefer to flip a magnifier with their reaction hand. With practice I'm sure one could grow exceptionally proficient with any platform. I find it faster to simply drop or raise my line of sight, while not breaking the rest my stance/grip. On the other hand the POA and POI must be taken into consideration with the height in which the red dot is mounted. This is where the angled Redot Dot/ Magnifiers may hold an advantage due to their being closer to the bore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ACOGS docotr like sight does tend to give the "walleye" vision or bubble vision you are talking about, thankfully the doctor sight doesnt even look liek your looking through a sight at all. its easy transitioning, i have to lift my head a little to get to it, but nothing uncomfortable or unreliable, its quick and easy

·
Registered
26 Posts
did you see any Elcan's out their in Iraq?
I did. The Army calls them "MGOs" for Machine Gun Optics. They're typically used on M240B machine guns or Squad Automatic Weapons.

To be honest, I wasn't familliar with "Elcan" until I just googled it, and instantly recognized the product. They seem to be great optics, and all my troopers who used them thought highly of them. I've never seen them on an M4/M16 platform before though. The rifles tend to get M68s from Aimpoint, Trijicon ACOGs of several types, and occasionally a trooper will bring his own optic so you see the occasional EOTECH, though I haven't seen those issued in a while, and then only in small numbers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did. The Army calls them "MGOs" for Machine Gun Optics. They're typically used on M240B machine guns or Squad Automatic Weapons.

To be honest, I wasn't familliar with "Elcan" until I just googled it, and instantly recognized the product. They seem to be great optics, and all my troopers who used them thought highly of them. I've never seen them on an M4/M16 platform before though. The rifles tend to get M68s from Aimpoint, Trijicon ACOGs of several types, and occasionally a trooper will bring his own optic so you see the occasional EOTECH, though I haven't seen those issued in a while, and then only in small numbers.
from what I have read, the Brit have them. I took a hard look at them, and decided to go with a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20. I just zeroed it on my ACR today. I'll post my Youtube vid on it as soon as it uploads

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Okay, so I went to a local shop yesterday and they had a compact ACOG in the case with a BAC horseshoe reticle. They let me mount it on an ACR on the wall and I tried it out. The BAC reticle makes all the difference. I still like my EOTech for brightness and adjustablility, but the quality of the glass on that ACOG and the light weight had me seriously thinking of selling off my old optics kit. Very nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I own an eotech as well, unless you buy the enhanced zoom optic, the eotech is strictly close quarters. and now you have a tougher time with CQ with the zoom optic, acog has laid everything on the table into a small, light weight reliable sight. now hopefully it takes awhile, but Acog now wants to mount their mini reflex sight on the acog instead of out sourcing to doctor, but hopefully they upgrade the sight glass to prevent the bubble effect. also id look at swarvoski to come out with an ACOG like sight with a mini reflex attached somewhere to the side, it would also be designed for the SAW M249, but i wouldnt doubt an assault rifle version or the saw version being able to be converted to an assault rifle. also aimpoint is looking to upgrade their 4x sight, with one that will hopefully hold the zero better.

Well Boys good luck with your customizing of your ACR's and remember there are many possibilities, so open your mind to everything! including the Zombie apocolypse, its inevitable...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That was the exact combo I was wanting... well I was leaning RMR instead of doctor but wanting with a red chevron and none of Trijicon's dark earth ACOG's are TA31F. Now I am thinking that's too light of a shade, though. Probably just go with a TA31F-RCO and either leave it black for the two-tone look or get it painted 30118...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I own an eotech as well, unless you buy the enhanced zoom optic, the eotech is strictly close quarters. and now you have a tougher time with CQ with the zoom optic, acog has laid everything on the table into a small, light weight reliable sight. now hopefully it takes awhile, but Acog now wants to mount their mini reflex sight on the acog instead of out sourcing to doctor, but hopefully they upgrade the sight glass to prevent the bubble effect. also id look at swarvoski to come out with an ACOG like sight with a mini reflex attached somewhere to the side, it would also be designed for the SAW M249, but i wouldnt doubt an assault rifle version or the saw version being able to be converted to an assault rifle. also aimpoint is looking to upgrade their 4x sight, with one that will hopefully hold the zero better.

Well Boys good luck with your customizing of your ACR's and remember there are many possibilities, so open your mind to everything! including the Zombie apocolypse, its inevitable...
Yeah, I do have a 3x magnifier with the flip mount. I love it, but, as you said, it's all in one little package. Key word being little. With the weight problems with the ACR, I've been cutting weight and I like the concept. I'll admit, I've started pricing a TA31H.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts