ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into a good matching color of duracoat for the ACR CB receiver? Or even the polymer CB color? I'll want to match up optics and mounts and such because I'm silly like that but I haven't seen but one thread on barfcom about it and that guy got flamed for wanting to touch up a scratch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be interested in any responses. I decided against the CB coloration mainly because I think a black EOTech sitting on top of a brown rifle would look wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO a black EOTech on a CB ACR doesn't look bad as long as you have some other black components spread out of the rifle (ie. black forward grip, black flashlight, black mag, etc.) If you have the MOE style front handguard try adding the black MOE rails, it helps balance the colors too.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, same answer from Lauer Weaponry as the fellow on barfcom. They don't have a specific color match but they did offer a color they feel is a close match. I'm a little wary of trying it even though only one person has said it wasn't very close. However, they will do a color match for free if you send the part you need matched. (They'll match the color, you still have to pay for the duracoat though. ;) )

I have my take-off basic stock I can send for the polymer match but the only other thing besides the receiver is the tri-rail handguard and I don't have one of those. Has anyone here swapped out handguards on their enhanced models and can help out the team?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my order in for the tri-rail handguard so I can be ready for the 10.5" barrels if they don't offer a short basic handguard. ;D For the time being I'll get it sent off to Lauer to get color matched when it gets in. Please stand by...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Duracoat has a magpul flat dark earth color available I saw it today because I was looking to coat my Eotech to match my ACR

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote author=RoninPryyst link=topic=147.msg808#msg808 date=1284437287]
Duracoat has a magpul flat dark earth color available I saw it today because I was looking to coat my Eotech to match my ACR
[/quote]

As far as I know the Magpul Flat Dark Earth color looks nothing like Magpul's flat dark earth accessories. I was seriously disappointed when I found this out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=RoninPryyst link=topic=147.msg808#msg808 date=1284437287]
[/quote]

Compared side by side to a coyote ACR the standard magpul FDE looks almost gray. If you wanted to you could duracoat the ACR to FDE so that all of the regular FDE accessories would match. I've used the duracoat FDE a few times and the shading may not be super exact it's close enough that you really have to look twice to tell. I think too, it's the texture that is hard to duplicate.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't, don't know about anyone else. I figure if they do a color matching deal then it doesn't hurt to wait to get it as close as possible instead of buying some stuff I might never use.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=FraternityRogue link=topic=147.msg831#msg831 date=1284657993]
have you sent your stuff off to lauer yet? maybe if they match it we can all put in to buy bulk and we can each get it cheaper
[/quote]

Not yet. Waiting on BM to ship out my handguard.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
yeh im waiting to for BM to ship out my tri-handgaurd as well. Does it have to be that particular piece i have a spare polymer handgaurd and basic stock i send those out to get matched

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=FraternityRogue link=topic=147.msg833#msg833 date=1284658495]
yeh im waiting to for BM to ship out my tri-handgaurd as well. Does it have to be that particular piece i have a spare polymer handgaurd and basic stock i send those out to get matched
[/quote]

BM's coyote color they use on the receiver looks more green-brown than any brown to my uncalibrated eyes. I'm pretty sure the tri-rail is finished the same. I was going to send my basic stock to match the polymer shade as well.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=FraternityRogue link=topic=147.msg843#msg843 date=1284694741]
ok cool be sure to let us all know
[/quote]

BM sent out the shipping notice so it should be here in a few days. Give me some time to tinker with it and then I'll get it sent off.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Duracoat match UPDATE

OK, tri-rail finally arrived today! As expected, same finish as on the rifle so I'll be getting with the duracoat people to see what I have to do to get it color matched. I'll be including my basic stock as well to match the Magpul coyote.

Will post updates if there is any significant event or news.

Please stand by...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the reply I received in reference to sending in the parts for the color match. Was also told to mark the parts attention to Randy. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a massive minimum order for a custom mix though I'll probably get a few of the 8oz bottles if it turns out good.

The color match process usually takes about 2 weeks. The smallest quantity you can order is 4oz. Make sure to include your contact information in with the parts.

Best Regards.
Sent the tri-rail and the cheekpiece from the basic stock. I have a side project in the works for the XCR and may have to loan out my enhanced stock so I figured I'd keep the basic stock around, albeit w/o a cheekpiece I could still shoot it if I wanted to.

I'm not expecting a super exact match and the texture of the item to be coated plays a major roll too but as long as it's close it should be fine enough for me. My wife said the receiver looked like the same color as baby shit. :)) I don't know about all that but I think it's a fine color for blending into nature.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Waiting for final disposition

8)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts