ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious and trying to migrate all the steel cased ammo talk in one place:

Do you use steel cased ammo in your ACR and what kind of luck have you had with it?

I would love to try some, (it so cheap compared to brass stuff) but I can remember when it 1st showed up and was basically just crap. I have seen alot of threads where folks have been having some good luck with. Please lets us know what type it was, how much and was it mostly reliable.

:cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have fired about 900 rounds through my ACR. I have only shot Silver Bear 223 Rem. 62 grain Bimetal HPBT zinc plated steel case non-corrosive Berdan primer. have had zero trouble. I got it at the Cheaper Than Dirt store. NOT the website.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have shot wolf steel case .223 but never shot steel case 5.56, but I had no trouble with the steel case ammo. I have only used Hornady 5.56 ammo which is brass, but when it comes to steel casing in .223 i havent had any issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
3,500+ rounds through my ACR. All Silver Bear 62g zinc coated. A few issues with it, but not enough of a problem to switch to higher cost ammo. Unless its a training class or other event where I would delay other shooters. Steel case for me.

And I love CTD for ammo. Just ordered several thousand rounds today.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are going to talk me into trying some against my better judgement.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not me. I'll even run 7.62x39 reloads when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cjt50, what's your concern?
I can remember when the steel stuff 1st showed up on the market, it was absolute crap. To many times I have seen cycling and fail to chamber issues with it over the years. To many times the common factor was "Wolf Ammo." Lately the folks I've been shooting around have not been using it, and that may be I still feel steel cased ammo is a no-no. I haven't seen it being used live. It doesn't help that we had a bad time with Hornady's steel cased practice ammo at work and stopped using it. I just have to get over the hurdle to even try some.

I love shooting, cost of ammo is the only thing keeping me going everyweek. and steel cased ammo for .223 is pretty cheap right now, but........................................see above :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very valid point, I wasnt shooting when it showed up. I always stayed away from the polymer coated and went with the zinc coated silver bear. Works great for me. I am starting to phase out of it just to keep brass stuff around. I would never use steel case in a course or class though.

I did get this to allow me to shoot anytime for virtually nothing...

ignore the light at 6oclock, that was changed.

That is a IR unimax for shooting under NODS. I have been converting them for a while.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very valid point, I wasnt shooting when it showed up. I always stayed away from the polymer coated and went with the zinc coated silver bear. Works great for me. I am starting to phase out of it just to keep brass stuff around. I would never use steel case in a course or class though.

I did get this to allow me to shoot anytime for virtually nothing...

ignore the light at 6oclock, that was changed.

That is a IR unimax for shooting under NODS. I have been converting them for a while.
Now that looks like fun, very nice.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I broke down and bought 100 rounds of Tulammo from walmart. It worked for the most part. Not anywhere near as accurate as AE .223 or XM193, but it went bang and hit where I was aiming for the most part. Much lighter loading for a .223 round then anything I have shot before, but it worked. I'll probably buy some more to experiment before I go hog wild with it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I was also under the impression that steel cased ammunition was taboo and could eventually cause damage or unnecessery wear to the weapon. That being said, I have never had any issue running it through any of my AK47 platforms.

Is this merely an outdated worry or is it valid in the slightest? I'd love to use a more cost effective round but would rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
My understanding was that it can wear down your extractor faster. I guess that's a small trade off for cheap shooting. Out of the hundreds of thousands of rounds they sell of the stuff it can't be too bad if they keep selling them year after year.

I can still reload cheaper than that stuff so every time I get set to buy a case and see for myself I look at the buckets of brass in the garage and never do.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was also under the impression that steel cased ammunition was taboo and could eventually cause damage or unnecessery wear to the weapon. That being said, I have never had any issue running it through any of my AK47 platforms.

Is this merely an outdated worry or is it valid in the slightest? I'd love to use a more cost effective round but would rather be safe than sorry.
Probably more of an outdated fear, (for the most part) I remember when it 1st came out and it was absolute crap. Also at the time, (as mentioned by DSM) I was able to reload cheaper then buying the steel case stuff, so I just didnt mess with it. Didn't help I was watching people that used it have all kinds of issues with it.

I tried it, it worked ok, (very under powered for 223) but I don't think I'll be doing a steady diet of it for now.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah, I'll probably continue to pay the extra bit for brass for my personal piece of mind. Someday I'll acquire the skills & space to reload my own rounds.

It would be good to try it out to see how it handles, just in case parachutes fall from the sky and that's all that's available.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
748 Posts
...It would be good to try it out to see how it handles, just in case parachutes fall from the sky and that's all that's available.:rolleyes:
That's when my M6AK (5.45x39) will come into it's own... :D

I'm a big fan of Silver Bear Ammo. That's all I've run through my M6A2 for a while now. I'll probably start my ACR out with XM193 and work the SB like I've done prior with the A2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran 200 rounds of Wolf through a few days ago. It seemed to me that the bolt was a bit dirtier than when I use XM193. Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to let you know wolf ammo works fine. Ive made alot of far out shots which includes a 520 yard bulls-eye with iron sight, head shot on a target from the same distance with my ACOG, and yesterday dropped a groundhog from 300+ yards. I see know reason not to buy wolf ammo since no damage has been done to my rifle and it seems accurate enough to get the job done.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts