ACR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me the difference between AK mags of 7.62x39, and those of 5.45x39, or point me in the direction of somewhere that can?

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
They are for different cartridges. the 7.62x39 has more of a taper so the magazine is more curved than the 5.45x39 mags.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been more specific. I'm aware of those differences, but I also heard that there was a difference that made it impossible for a 5.45 mag to be attached to a 7.62 AK, and vice versa. I was wondering exactly what those differences are.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have never tried it in an "AK" style rifle so cant say for sure. (don't own any) But the "AR" style 5.45 and 7.62 mags are completely interchangeable.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I was referring to AK pattern mags, as part of my research for my lower conversion. I'm wondering if I can make it to accept both mags, so that I could use it with a 5.45 conversion down the road.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on doing that eventually, unless someone here tells me its impossible. Magazines costing what they do these days, I'm a bit hesitant.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am almost positive they are not interchangeable. I believe the AK 47 magazine is wider than a AK 74, and a AK 74 magazine is is longer than the AK74. Therefore two separate lowers would be required. This being said once I am home on the 28th I can measure the AK 47 mags I have, and ask friends about any AK 74 mags and get accurate measurements for each.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be great! I don't necessarily have my heart set on a 5.45 conversion, so if it's too different I might not go that road.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would imagine you could modify the magazines since the receivers are so similar. However that might induce magazine related failures.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...you could modify the magazines...
Nope. My hope for this project is to use pure, unadulterated AK mags. One of the original conceptual uses for a caliber conversion, especially 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, is the ability to use enemy ammo/equipment. Not that I foresee having to do that in the near future, but I would like to stay true to the original concept. If the mags are too different, I might just make yet another lower conversion if/when I decide to do a 5.45 kit. 7.62x39 is the priority, it's the most common cartridge in the world.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In general, the 5.45x39 magazine is going to be thinner than it's 7.62x39 counterpart. The lips on the 5.45x39 ones are also a tad different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts