ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Got my eye on this one to see how it works out. Just looks funky with all that empty magwell.

Me thinks your going to see alot of new stuff come outta the wood work with the annoucment of the carbine trails. Same thing happen when the pistol trails were going on back in the 80's.

8)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've been looking into this rifle a bit.
Ore specifically the civilian model, the SP901. I think that they are waiting for patents to clear before they do a full release.

I will be very curious to see a couple things. First is the price point. I'm hoping for something between $1,000 and $1,900. More realistically on the high end or above.

Second is torture testing. I am afraid that the magwell would leave too much exposed when using the 5.56 upper (depending on how it works).

This is pretty exciting, though. It does the one thin that the ACR was never claimed to do - go from 5.56 all the way to .308. I've got my hopes up.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on the developments of this rifle. Hopefully Colt will have all the pieces in place before they release it. That will help solidify it's acceptance, considering the ACR has been out just over a year and were are still waiting for the realization of addtional calibers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
From what I understand, to use the 5.56 upper requires an adaptor/magwell sleeve. Colt made a proprietary mounting point for the .308 front that requires Colt's upper. The mounting point is way lower than the usual AR .308 but it does allow the use of an adaptor/magwell sleeve for a 5.56 upper that fills the .308 lower.

I have been keeping my eye out on this as well as it gives you a truly modular platform to SBR, then run a variety of calibers and uppers to run it with. I will definitely have mine set up for 5.56(SBR), .300BLK(SBR), .308(SBR & 16"), and .338 Federal (16-18"). Sure it looks a bit bulky and she's not the prettiest gal on the block, but if she's a performer, I'm totally down.

Plus, I REALLY hope somebody comes out with aftermarket upper receivers with threads that can utilize different fore-ends.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Sure it looks a bit bulky and she's not the prettiest gal on the block, but if she's a performer, I'm totally down.
nice

(damn character limit)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sort of. I was there. My first semi-auto rifle was a Ruger Mini-14. It was traded for a Colt SP1. Great rifle. Later on, Colt added different models with goofy features. I'm just not a fan.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Because Colt was arrogant to the Civ market?
Huge +1

Colt sucks! I will never purchase another product from them ever again, period! They treated the civilian market like shit, hell I tried to send my Colt AR in for service during the AWB and they flat out refused me.... F*** them! I just sold my last Colt AR that I had for over 22 years, and I don't regret it. Hell it paid of my superior ACR and all of the upgrades I made to it. IMO it was a very good move. I hope Colt looses it's defense contract and goes belly up. There is far to many options out there to have to deal with such an arrogant POS company. Hey guess what Colt your not the only game in town, not even close. Bye bye

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I had to add WTF was Colt thinking by using that STUPID large front take down pin, oversized FCG pins and latter on a sear block.

I hate you and you utter contempt for your customers :mad:.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Colt has very much come around on civs and their offerings. Whether it's too late remains to be seen.

Back to the 901, the RealTree wasn't doing any aesthetic favors:

colt.jpg

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Like them or not, (for AR/M4 fans like me) they are the only ones beside FN that have the true AR dimensions/TDP. Everybody else is reverse engineered. Sure they had no interest in the Civ market (which backfired on them as even their 1911 sales came in behind others like Kimber when the started mfging them). HK is the same way. You can bad mouth Remington to for that matter.

Call me selfish, it doesn't bother me. If they make something available that I want, regardless, I'm going to buy it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Undertaker,
I know how you feel. You said it more, 'passionately' than I would have but I feel similarly. Most of these guys don't remember the 'old days' and what went on. Colt also had some bad dealings with a company based here in WV, that most people have not heard of, Ultralight Arms. They produced topend bolt actions rifles based on a Rem 700 type action. Colt bought them out and set the owner up to run the custom shop. Not long after, they promptly dumped the whole project. I don't have all the particulars and at this point, I don't care. Ultralight started back up a few years later. The owner is a local guy and very knowledgable in the firearms industry. Colt, like many other companies, is probably under new ownership or management now. Like many others, I have a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, over their past dealings. I feel the same way about the motorcycle manufacturer KTM. My last KTM bike was a 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure S. It was my dreambike and it cost me a lot of my hard earned money. Two years after I purchased it, the piece of crap wasn't worth anything. Nobody would take it in trade and nobody wanted to buy it. The KTM dealer wouldn't even take it. What does that say! To this day, it's still sitting in my shop. What a red herring it turned out to be. I'd never own another product from them. I'll hardly look at a German product now! I'd never own another German vehicle of any sort. Buyer beware!

SamM

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Call me selfish, it doesn't bother me. If they make something available that I want, regardless, I'm going to buy it.
I agree. And they are coming around finally. Heck, HK is way way worse, and if they've got a product that fits my need, I'll not think twice.

That said, much of the TDP is overblown. There are enough copies that found their way out of Colt, and most top manufacturers are exceeding it in many ways these days, that I'd have a hard time saying Colt was the AR to buy (in most cases).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yes, H&K is worse! The thing about H&K is that the arrogance trickles down. Even their dealers are elitists. At a very large gunshow many years ago, I was looking for pre-ban USP45 12 round magazines. I caught wind that some had made it into the country and for some stupid reason, I thought I needed them. I stopped at an H&K dealers table and inquired about the magazines. The idiot told me, "that I would never find them, they didn't exsist and if they did they were in such small numbers that nobody would have them for sale!" Thankfully, I didn't listen and kept on looking. Later in the day, I asked a guy that was selling magazines if he had heard of the H&K pre-bans. With a grin, he produced a box full and I bought 5 of them on the spot. These were pricey items back then! For the record, I NEVER carried 10 round magazines, I bought pre-ban mags and threw the 10 rounders in the garbage. On the way out, I stopped back by the H&K dealer's table, showed him my find and made him eat his own words. All he wanted to know is where I bought them. I told him that they were no longer available, because I bought all they had. The elitist jerk didn't deserve them!!!

It wasn't long after this that I bought my first Glock and sold my H&K stuff off. Making a nice profit on it.

SamM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts