ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows it going sorry if this is the wrong area

I'm from Lubbock TX and i'm working on getting my SBR and Suppressor through a local shop that has a class 3 dealer. they are called Patriot Arms in lubbock tx.
well back in may i paid for my suppressor to be ordered through them and i order my SBR myself through BCM. The gentleman there informed me he needed my Lower serial # to submit so it could 'go through processing to be registered for multiple uppers" one of them being my SBR. well that was back in may and the registration hasnt come back yet and it seems like im getting the run around ever day. also he wouldn't submit the stamp for my suppressor because he wants to do both at the same time. HELP are they jerking my chain!!! i know theres a ton of guys here with experience on topic. im getting frustrated, its been a 4 month run around and my paper work hasnt even started yet it could have possible been done by now

thank you guys

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Multiple uppers? This is for an AR, correct? For an SBR you can do the paperwork (Form 1) yourself as the "builder" and the only thing you'd need from anyone else is the lower engraved w/ your info and a lot of folks do that. I'm guessing that's what you're doing if you ordered the barrel from BCM. Is it just backordered or something?

I think I can understand them wanting to submit the paperwork together but they go to different places anyways, GA and WV IIRC, for suppressors and SBR's respectively. But I'd say that if he has taken your money and has your can on-hand and still refuses to submit the Form 4 then you need to have a word with them about getting your money back maybe. That's BS. And if he gives you any guff pull out your cell phone and call the ATF NFA branch from their shop. ATF won't do anything but it's attention they don't want.

And multiple upper registration? I don't understand what you meant but you can have as many host firearms as you want in terms of mounting a suppressor. The suppressor is only paid for once not for every rifle you put it on.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=DSM link=topic=150.msg777#msg777 date=1284031626]

And multiple upper registration? I don't understand what you meant but you can have as many host firearms as you want in terms of mounting a suppressor. The suppressor is only paid for once not for every rifle you put it on.

[/quote]

i dont understand that part either he says since my lower is registered to a 16 inch upper from when i bought my rifle in order to do a SBR on it it has to have the serial number registered for something which is taking forever and its pissing me off

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
OK, that makes a little more sense. Yes, that lower DOES have to be registered as an SBR if you want it to have a barrel shorter than 16".

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok makes me feel better that someone with a good head on their shoulders can tell me that. so i have to wait for that to be registered before i can even start my paper work for the SBR?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
To register the rifle as an SBR should only take ONE registration process unless your local or state says otherwise so I guess I'm a little confused again.

As an individual the following would need submitted (this excludes trusts mind you):
- Form 1 (x2, w/ CLEO signatures and pictures)
- Fingerprint cards (x2)
- Citizenship certification (can't remember the form number?)
- $200 check or MO

Once all that comes back (the ATF keeps everything except one copy of the Form 1 which includes your stamp) you're good to go with the short barrel as long as your receiver has been already been engraved w/ your info. You can get all of that in order pretty much any time you want to provided your choice of homestead allows it. If you're going the trust route, well, that's a little bit different and one I don't know much about except from the outside looking in.

I don't understand where you're saying you're being told it has to be registered before it can be registered. I'm not doubting you so please don't take it that way of course but that is just weird. Do your local laws require you to register firearms or something? The way it sounds you're being told is that the rifle was bought as a 16" carbine and can have nothing other than a 16" barrel, not even an 18" or 20" or else the serial number has to be registered as being different.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it was purchased as a 16" i bought the complete colt rifle like 2 years ago and now ,using the lower from that rifle im going to attach to a SBR i purchased on BCM. Im from Texas state of you can practically own any fire arm. now you seem how confused and frustrated i am because this is what they are telling me! im doing the SBR through the shop. i think what they are doing is registering it in their name so they can do the paper work and engraving then do a transfer? maybe i dunno but im still on the understanding that its in some form of registration before the forms can be sent off for the stamp

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I did mine myself and just had my Class III guy do the engraving of my info so I think that's what was confusing me there. If they are taking possession the Form 3's usually don't take that long. The longest wait on any of my forms was maybe a few days over three months but when they came back they were all mine. ;D

SBR is the way to go though. It will almost be night and day from the way the rifle handled before. They're handier, lighter and for the most part can be just as accurate at traditionally usable distances as their bigger siblings. I'm warning you now, tax stamps can be addictive. Once you experience the fun you'll want to chop every barrel and mount a "hush 'em up" device!

I'm looking forward to handling an SBR'd ACR. The weight is a little on the stout side so I'm hoping it'll cut it down significantly and bring the center of gravity closer in.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think im just gonna goto the shop and handle everything myself with a forum 3( i think thats the right one) and have him engrave it like you did.

i cant wait till the ACR barrels come out as well ill be getting one of those for sure bt with the stock barrel i was shooting 2inch groups at 300 meters no problem

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
[quote author=FraternityRogue link=topic=150.msg1060#msg1060 date=1286948264]
Good news finally got all my paper work done and sent in!! now we play the waiting game :))
[/quote]

On the upside, ATF times are shorter than they have been in a long time. Expect everything back before xmas.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know right. aren't they the shortest wait they've ever been!
i even did a Money directly from my bank account so it cleared instantly

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the upside, ATF times are shorter than they have been in a long time. Expect everything back before xmas.
so is there a way to check if its been aproved? its almost christmas and i havent heard anything yet

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You can call and check the status. You'll need to have your serial number handy.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
(304) 616-4500

Just ask to check on the status of the Form 1. They'll ask for the serial number. I don't know what they catalog them in in terms of system but whoever answers the phone usually has the info in about a minute or so. Typically, and this is just my experience, the biggest wait is the fingerprints, if you didn't do a trust.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I got a question, If you get a tax stamp, does that mean you have to SBR it or can you simply have tax stamp for it and never SBR it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I got a question, If you get a tax stamp, does that mean you have to SBR it or can you simply have tax stamp for it and never SBR it?
It's yours to do with as you please. Though now with the rifle registered as such it must be treated accordingly.

I've seen where folks have gotten a letter from ATF stating something to the fact if the SBR'd rifle had a legal length barrel, and corresponding legal OAL, then it wouldn't be an SBR officially with respect to crossing state lines and such. To my knowledge there hasn't been a case where that's been an issue but screams of something going bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts