ACR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of using some russian ammo with steel casings. During the course of fire I had a casing become lodged in the chamber after the round was fired. The extractor pulled it about 1/8th-1/4 of an inch out but it wouldn't come out without a punch rod ran through the muzzle. I can't tell if there was any damage to the chamber or not. Looks like maybe some scratches in the chamber, but I'm not completely sure. Should i contact bushmaster about this and send my rifle back? I've also noticed some scuffs on the feed ramps where the black coating is now showing a brass/copper color...is this something I should be concerned with? I've never seen anything like this, not even with my issued M4 which has had 1000s of rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The steel cased ammo is usually a little underpowered and the case doesn't expand as much to create a gas seal like brass cased ammo does. That's a reason for it shooting it "dirty". All that gunk gets built up in the chamber and it can gum up the action. I'm sure you hear it at work: probably the most important part to ensure stays clean on any autoloader is the chamber. So, I'd scrub it out real well with a chamber brush (twist, don't jab) and then see if that doesn't help. If you want to really see if there is anything going on in the chamber you can get a chamber reflector (small, polished silver looking device about the size and shape of a .22 case) and drop in there and shine a flashlight into the chamber. You can find them on-line, or, since you're military ask your small arms repairman nicely if you can borrow one if you bring in the barrel.

As for the copper streaks on the feed ramps, some of the Russian bullets use a bi-metal jacket. The copper color can be just the thin copper wash they put on the projectile so it'll rub off easy. Unless something is causing a stoppage it's nothing to really be worried about as far I would be concerned.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well when the casing became lodged, it tried to double feed. the second round was shoved under the lodged casing

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We were running some [email protected] steel case russian ammo through my womans AR and it was nothing but trouble all the time, and I bought a huge box of it... what a mistake...

Never again.....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wanna say it was Wolf, but I can't remember - just swore I wouldn't get cheap steel casings for any weapons anymore...

Edit
******It might have been Brown Bear... I'd have to check with the local shop I got them from...******

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah. Silver Bear runs great in all my 5.56 guns, comparable to US stuff. I've never subjected any of mine to Wolf so far. I'd run it though my LWRC in a pinch (seems to eat most anything, no problem). How about the guy with the lodged casing? What were you using?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
well when the casing became lodged, it tried to double feed. the second round was shoved under the lodged casing
Was the case head boogered up from the extractor bouncing off the groove? Sounds like it started to extract, popped off the case but still had enough oomph to try to the feed the next round maybe.

Worst case scenario is a chamber flaw that will require honing at the minimum or just flat out replacement. Start small though and give it a good scrubbing down. Then try some known, quality ammo and inspect your cases for anomalies like bulges or scratches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used brown bear once I had to take a bore brush with a cordless drill to my ar to Polish out the coating it leaves in the bore. Not worth the saving in money buy good ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. my unit armorer is going to check it out for me. Hopefully it will be good news

I can't remember the name, i think it started a T? the ruskie ammo that is

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Well. my unit armorer is going to check it out for me. Hopefully it will be good news

I can't remember the name, i think it started a T? the ruskie ammo that is
"Tulammo" Walmart carries it for just less then $5 a box. Not the greatest stuff in the world, but it goes bang most of the time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've always considered Tula on about the same level as Wolf and have yet to subject any of my guns to it. Anybody else using Tula regularly?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Gun is fine. It was just the coating on the casing all over my chamber

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've always considered Tula on about the same level as Wolf and have yet to subject any of my guns to it. Anybody else using Tula regularly?
I have shot about 500 rounds of it, 200 thru ACR and 300 thru XCR. Had 1 stuck case in the XCR, no issues in ACR. I am not a pro steel person. I remember when it 1st came out and it was absolute crap. However, recently I have been hearing more positive reports and things to look for so I tried it. The stuck case was easily cleared with a cleaning rod. (The rim sheared)

The steel case doesnt expand like brass does. This leeds to a very dirty chamber and possible stuck cases. I would never shoot brass after shooting steel. The brass could get stuck after all the carbon build up from shooting steel.

Tulammo is dirty and under powered, but it does go bang and the pill basically goes where you aim. YMMV :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts