ACR Forum banner

Before the ACR...M16 or AK47?

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Tommys229 
#1 ·
While we are awaiting thr release of the ACR, I was wondering what rifle is currently the best out there. I like the M16 system better, but my friend thinks the AK-47 is a better made weapon.

#2 ·
The two are apples and oranges. One is a piston and the other is impingement. Different size calibers. However, the M16 is a much more accurate rifle. The M16 has a greater effective range over the AK.

If I had to choose... Both! The AK is relatively inexpensive. :))

#4 ·
M16, I know it's weaknesses and can compensate for them. The AK's weaknesses are a little bit harder to compensate for.

**Edit

I guess there would have to be an exception. If I was ever going to spend a prolonged amount of time (as in 2-3 weeks) in a harsh environment and NOT be able to clean my rifle I would have to take the AK. If I have the end of the day every day to clean my rifle, however, M16 all the way.

#5 ·
[quote author=EagleArmsHBAR link=topic=14.msg35#msg35 date=1259935820]
While we are awaiting thr release of the ACR, I was wondering what rifle is currently the best out there. I like the M16 system better, but my friend thinks the AK-47 is a better made weapon.
[/quote]

Not quite. Haven't seen an AK that was better made than my Noveske. M16 for me please.

#14 ·
^Second this. LWRC combines the best of both by using a piston to drive the accurate and familiar M4 (AR-15/M-16) platform. Add the high quality parts they use standard and you have accuracy and dependability w/o hours of maintenance. Mine's an M6A2, and it is my go-to. Now, as for perfection of application, make it a 6.8 and you truly have a carbine that is fully superior to both platforms in almost every way. But the military hasn't taken the step to go there... (too much 5.56 NATO around to wholesale change it I suppose). Will my ACR completely replace my M6A2 as my go-to? Only time will tell on that one...

#9 ·
Well if I was going to be in a harsh environment and would not be able to clean my rifle, I would pick a weapon with the reliability of an AK47 with the modularity and ergonomics of an M4, with an adjustable gas system (5 settings), foldable stock, ambi controls, non-reciprocating side charging handle, and only costs about $1,800. Of course, I would love to take the ACR, but until I can afford one, it is a no go for me.

#15 ·
A Marine buddy of mine did have a great answer for a classic question when he was asked "What is your favorite weapon system?" by a student in one of his classes. His response was "Whatever one I'm holding."

To be on topic I think the M4/16 platform is a fine weapon system that got a lot of hate during Vietnam due to partly due to being a new weapon, poor education of the end user, improper maintenance and bad intel "The weapon you never have to clean" as they said at one point. Given all my conceptual knowledge on the topic (I admit to zero combat experience), my weapon of choice would be the M4/16.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.