ACR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I've been looking at scopes with BDC reticle. I haven't been able to find a thread on its pros and cons. In terms of practicality and cost, is it worth it? It seems like it'd be fun to be able to get shots out to the 400-500 yard range. As far as matching the reticle to the grain and caliber, it seems like a lot of work goes into it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There aren't really any cons to using a BDC reticle besides figuring out the dope. It really depends on what you are doing with the rifle, target shooting from a bench, practical shooting events, hunting, etc. In the Army we use the ACOG and it works quite well, once you know how to use the reticle. Even matching a reticle to a barrel length and bullet grain you still won't stay perfect because there are much more elements which effect bullet flight. A bit of work does go into figuring it all out but the people doing the work are using precision rifles.

My opinion, yes, it's worth it. I recently competed in a 2 gun match where we had to engage targets with a rifle from a few feet to 250 yards out. I used an ACOG which made the long shots easy.

If you're planning on using some sort of BDC reticle scope on your ACR then I suggest not buying a high-power scope. A fixed power, like 4x or 3x, or 1-6x LPVO will work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My opinion is that BDCs are money makers so companies try to dress them up.

BDC reticles is like putting a band aid on learning how to shoot properly. BDC reticles teach you NOTHING about how to apply hold overs to other rifles. It only applies to that rifle, scope and ammo set up. Have I used them, yes. I like to think I'm a fairly advanced shooter, and it takes me a lot of range time and ammo to figure out my trajectory and hold points, which NEVER line up to what you hoped for. To the average shooter, it can easily be overwhelming.

Also, same story for the BDC type turrets. Shooters expect to dial to a 5 for 500 yards or a 6 for 600 yards, and they expect it to be dead on. If the environmental conditions you are shooting in are different from the BDC turret is calibrated for, the you WILL be off target. Out to about 300-400 yards, the turret will be close enough to still be killing an animal, even though you may impact a little high or low. But when you get out past 400, you better account for any difference in environmental conditions, or you will miss. And I have had upset customers wonder why they miss low or high on a target. Once I explain it to them, they change their mind on the BDC type turrets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even with a BDC reticle, you may need to customize the drops depending on your setup (barrel length, bullet type, elevation, etc). So 200 yards on the reticle might be 225 and 350 yards might be 400 yards. IMHO, this is still easier than using mil only a reticle plus a good BDC reticle has wind holds and fast measuring features built in to help you speed up each shot. I really like the Primary Arms reticles, for this reason, the SIG MSR has it in affordable LPVOs, and the new Vortex 1-10x has one at the higher end of the spectrum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts