ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an enhanced ACR 3 days ago, and while striping it noticed that the barrel is not in line with the upper. After going to the range, it shot good groups at 50 yards but all 3-4 inches to the left of center. I think my rifle may have a machining problem on the piece that holds the barrel to the upper. As I slowly pull the barrel out I can actually align the barrel straight, but once the barrel is fully seated in the upper you can tell by looking from the front and top side of the rifle that the barrel is definitely not straight. Is anyone else having this problem? I am afraid that if I am off 3-4 inches from center at 50 yards, it will be much worse at 100...200 and on down. I am waiting to hear back from Bushmaster to see what their thought are on this.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Converting those pics to JPEG's will make life easier for anyone trying to see what you are talking about.

For sure you've got a problem. Try taking the barrel off and re-seating it. You may have a defective barrel collar/trunnion.

For the record, I have seen a couple of ACR's in shops where the barrel was askew from the rail. Sometimes re-seating the barrel worked. Sometimes not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Variablebinary for your reply. I have taken the barrel on and off a few times, but it always fully seats in this position. I am attaching JPG files on this post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also after taking the barrel off I noticed that the barrel extension is not sitting flush in the collar/trunnion. You can see by the shiny half moon shape that it is only partially seating when the barrel is tightened. This to me would defenitly indicate that it is pushing the barrel off to the left once tightening the nut.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mine is kind of off-center too but I haven't looked that closely at it. I'll take a look later and check back in.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
ACRMax, I would send that gun back to BM. It's going be damn near impossible to have a properly zero'ed weapon when your sights are no were in line with you barrel.

Like I said, I've seen off barrels, but yours is really leaning.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mine is off to the same side but not as much as that. Yeah, I'd give them a call and see about sending it back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys. I contacted BM and they were very receptive. They said some of their earlier models had this issue, but they had made adjustments to correct the problem. I guess I must have gotten an earlier model or the trunnion made it past QC with this error. MY serial number is in the 4000's so I doubt it's an early model. Either way, BM sent me a shipping label and the rifle is on its way back for repairs. Estimated to be back in 2 weeks....lets hope.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Good to hear! And please do follow up in this thread with an update and pics when you get your rifle back. The pics will help show what the problem was and how to get it fixed. If this is a known problem of early rifles then maybe ACRFan should make this a sticky.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Outstanding work by BM. Please keep us updated.

Let this thread act as a heads up for prospective buys. Check your alignment before you walk out the door.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
ACRfan did a software upgrade to the forum a lil' while back. May have gotten lost during the change over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys sorry it took me so long to get back with an update. So after I shipped my ACR to BM it took 3-4 weeks to get it back. Since it was there they made the update to fix the recall problem as well. Regarding the missalignment of the barrel, BM switched out the Barrel with a new one. Looking at the upper with the barrel now there is still a very slight inclination to the left, but probably nothing to worry about. I will re-post the pictures I had up before, as it seems they were erased with the Web update. Here is the link to my album

·
Registered
279 Posts
ACRMax...maybe Bushmaster is letting you tried out their next special rifle that shoots around corners .... I know it's not funny...I would be besides myself if it happened to me. I'm picking one up this week and I've already told the dealer to have the gunsmith check out the barrel to see if it's pointing straight. So, thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
It looks like the barrel was not attached to the barel extension correctly. I would send it back to BM for a new barrel. call them first and send the person you talk to a picture of the barrel alignment from the front of the gun to that person. They will see what it is you are talking about and issue you an RMA. BM should take care of you on this issue.

oh by the way - for the record, any pictures that were uploaded as attachements to any posts under the previous forum platform were lost as they could not be imported into the new platforum.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts