ACR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have heard, the Army plans are getting 3 new camo patterns issued in 2012

The patterns will be arid, woodland, and transitional which will be a multi-region pattern like Multicam.

Well the Army is making it clear that the current UCP is done, and it wont be allowed to compete.

Here are some sample patterns submitted by a British firm

Read more about it here: http://kitup.military.com/2010/12/army-camouflage-industry-day-no-ucp-allowed.html

Kit Up! spent the day out at the Army Research Lab in Adelphi, MD, yesterday attending the industry day for the Army’s Phase IV camo program.

The day was marked by very detailed briefings on exactly what the Army is looking for in its new camo uniforms, how they plan to test them and what they expect industry to provide.

We were lucky to have our friends from Soldier Systems Daily also covering the event, and over the next couple days each of us will be trickling out gouge on the program. So be sure to check both sites for updates (it’s too much to try to do in one place)…

I’ll start by saying from the looks of it, the Army is sincere about its search for the best concealment technology for its Soldiers. There is no indication the service is going through the motions, no indication it’s rigged in favor of government patterns and the top program managers argued strenuously with us that they would not allow the final decision to be a simple fashion show.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Okay so they are using MC as a baseline, which is good. But I thought it would be hard to beat MultiCam. From the comments, it sounds like there were problems with MC in the theater. Has anyone heard of any such problems?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I guess if the Army is using MC and MarPat as a baseline, then they may be trying to see what else is out there and if there is anything better before they make the costly dive into MC after the UCP fiasco. I certainly wish they go with MC. Then everything we want to get our hands on with camo on it will be offered in MC. Heck even Blackhawk (who has been very resistant to it) are going to offer MC as one of the color choices.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Multicam has a leg up in the competition from already having stocks numbers and such. They can provide more realistic quotes. If PEOSoldier is getting good feedback from A-stan it'll be the one to beat.

Having said that, Freedom Group's sub with the ATACS stuff is positioning itself too. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't try to level the playing field with pushing and lobbying for more than one pattern opposed to something designed more universal such as multicam.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I think it will come down to ATACS and Multicam. However, the PenCott by Hyde Definition is pretty good. Almost looks like a high quality digitized Multicam.

But ATACS and Multicam will be the two main competitors. The edge goes to Multicam as it is in the field getting real world experience and combat effective soldiers giving positive feedback. Of course it goes to say that if you had to wear UCP for years, anything would feel better to the soldier, even the previous woodland patter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts