ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good recommendations for one? Not really looking for an expensive model. just 7.62x39 and a maybe a top rail for an optic

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Anything Arsenal is probably a good bet. My Romanian SAR2 (5.45) was a good shooter too.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
arsenal? not familiar with them...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Anything Arsenal is probably a good bet. My Romanian SAR2 (5.45) was a good shooter too.
+1

Arsenal has seemed to cornered the "Quality" spot from everything I have read. I have handled one at a local fun store and they do seem very solid. But you pay for that quality. :)

As far as little cheaper, Atlantic Firearms seems to have a good selection: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx (Atleast on the display)

Good luck on the hunt!!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. a lot rifles there that i like

·
Registered
138 Posts
...their are a lot of good ones out there...some are imports or conversions from saiga's...the better ones are the custom ones like kreb's...who machine most if not all of their own parts...the rails are all over the place...krebs has the best rail so far IMO, with repeatable zero...but chaos' saiga 12 rail is a masterpiece...they haven't made one yet for a reg AK...the other rails are half-assed attempts that don't hold zero or heat to well...some co-witness some don't...for what you pay for an acr you can get a handmade masterpiece and still have enough for a truck load of ammo...just saying....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your just looking for a "beater" gun just get a Wasr-10... I own 2 I have a 1970 (mag wobbles, little rough cycling) and a 1966 (perfect, smooth cycling) if you do your research and investigate the gun before you buy it..you can save some big bucks...after all its an AK...and for the optic...I bought a POSP scope from Kalinka Optics for one...and the other i just bought a 60 dollar Red dot and slapped it on a UTG quick release rail mount....I love both of them....and I spent probably as much on both of those that it would cost for 1 Arsenal... People exaggerate the Wasr-10 problems...they are fine guns...as long as you inspect the gun..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went down the WASR road twice. Do your homework.

First WASR - Roughly ten years ago I didn't do my homework and just ordered one. The sights were canted. I returned it to dealer unfired and was able (lucky) to walk away.

Second WASR - I bought from someone and I looked it over as best I could. I also got it cheap so that if I had to put money into it, it wouldn't be that bad of a hit. After a trip to the range I changed out the crap trigger with a G2 (not too difficult of a job). No more trigger slap, no more jams due to bolt dragging on the disconnector. That one I sold for a bit more money than I bought it for (including my expenses). That guy got a good AK for the money because all the issues were worked out and it didn't have mag wobble like many WASRs have.

I have nothing bad to say about AKs other than they just don't float my boat. I currently don't have one. If I were to go down that road again I'd either convert my own saiga or go with a SLR from these guys.

http://www.k-var.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
...yea krebs is a bad dude...he hung out with mr. Kalashnikov in russia and swapped ideas...apparently the ruskies couldn't come up with a good rail system and Kalashnikov complemented mark on his design...he used to be a 1911 guy i think...jim fuller of rifledynamics.com is a bad dude as well...

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend of mine who is a fiend for anything Russian (he owns a BTR-40 and BTR-152 as well as a UAZ and Unimog) said that if you want cheap and goes bang, Century and Centerfire are your best bets.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My last 3 AKs were all Russian. That's all I'd own now. All of mine have recently been given away. My daughter now has my last Chinese AK. It's a pretty little rifle with a Tapco FCG and brown laminated furniture. It works very well and has proven to be very reliable.

SamM

·
Registered
11 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my Lancaster Arms AK. Heard great things about Krebs and Arsenal. Another option would be to get a saiga sportster ak and have it converted. That would make it all russian except for the required 922r compliant parts. The side rail is really nice for attaching optics. Holds excellent zero.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went the Wasr route. I thought I was getting a good deal. There was no mag wobble, the sights weren't canted, the gas block wasn't canted, and it came with a G2 trigger. But here's the catch, it was a single shot ak. That's right, I might could fire 2 rounds before a jam. After all the money I put into it to get it fixed, I could have bought an Arsenal. Oh well, it shoots great now, and I can hit a 8" plate at 200yds without a problem.Yet at the same time, I have a friend who bought one and it's perfectly fine. I suppose it's gamble. Just carefully look it over before you buy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts