ACR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to discuss the differences between the two. I own a Robinson M96 and really love it, though it is dated. I've been eying up the XCR for a few years, but wanted to wait for the ACR to hit the market and teethe a bit / hopefully have the price level out before I picked one over the other. I also feel abandoned by Robinson, since they no longer make any of the accessories for the M96.
Yesterday I walked into a local dealer and got a hold of an ACR. I picked it up and it felt just right, more so than anything else I have. Seems very worth the buzz.
So other than weight and maybe to some extent looks, what are the advantages / disadvantages of both. Does the ACR shoot as smoothly as and not climb like the M96, compared to an AR-15 carbine?
There are a lot of opinions out there like Ford vs. Chevy, but I want to know who out there has actually shot both. Hopefully then, this won't end up in the whining folder. Thanks.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Okay - Here is a chart that can help you see the differences. However, keep in mind that the chart was created before the ACR actually hit the street. So there are a few differences between the chart and the actual ACR, XCR, etc.

So let me state them first.

ACR -

Barrel: 1/9 twist
Avg Price: $2500
Button rifling
No AK magazine compatibility
Weight is actually closer to 8.2 pounds

XCR -

Ambi mag release comes standard on all new rifles and older ones can be upgraded.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Nice comparison chart!!!

If your thinking about a XCR take a peek at the XCRFORUM. It appears that the have had some quality control issues. But then anytime sales out weight capacity that happens.

I think the XCR is a great concept, but the ACR has the potential for more options.

When I was looking at new rifles of this breed, XCR, SCAR and ACR, I decided on the later 2. SCAR because it was closer to my AR's in operations and transition would be quicker. ACR because it just felt better and has more potential for expansion.

Good luck in what ever you choose. :)

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Robinson Arms XCR had teething pains in the beginning, just like the ACR. These things get worked out. Robinson Arms has worked them out and the XCR is a solid platform. However, the XCR has the exact same ergonomics as the AR-15 except the battery assist device is located right where everyone wants their to be located on their AR-15's. The same location as the ACR in fact. The same as the Magpul B.A.D. and the Phase5 B.A.D.

[quote author=cjt50 link=topic=117.msg563#msg563 date=1279907121]
I think the XCR is a great concept, but the ACR has the potential for more options.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean when you state the ACR has more potential for expansion. What do you mean exactly? Can you give some examples?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Please take into account, that I dont know much about the XCR and its quick change features other then the caliber;

I think the quick change handguards, buttstocks and lower reciever will give some enterprising folks something to play with.

ie wanna reach out and touch a target, PRS stock, 24 inch bbl 6.5 grendal, full length MOE handguard or aluminum bottom rail only for bipod and precision trigger pack etc. All swapped within 10mins.

I know it's not here yet, hence, potential. Might not ever happen.

Please understand that I am a range rat, my rifle isn't used to daily carry or defense. I just enjoy different disciplines of shooting ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually purachsed my ACR beacuse of what a former XCR owner said.

He owned a XCR and sold it for a ACR because he liked the expanision and the fact that parts would be available sooner with the acr as apposed to the SCAR and the XCR being from well, a company that dosent have a history of "exactally" stellar customer support, and a small company that could dissapear real fast, respectivaly of course.

Take it for what it's worth. PM me for his handle on XCRforum. Hes a good guy and will answer better Im sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was over at the local gun shop today. They had an ACR and a 6.8 XCR, so I got to play around with both. I really liked the XCR, but I liked the ACR better. Personally, I prefer heavier guns, within reason, because they are easier to shoot accurately. The XCR was so light, it might be fun to have one to play with once I get an ACR.
I also fully agree with what has been said about support from the big guys. While we as Americans tend to like to see the little guy win, I personally feel abandoned by Robinson with my M96 and the fact that I can no longer get accessories. Unless, of course, I might happen upon them in Gun Broker or being sold on the net by some guy who cuts aluminum blanks in his machine shop.
I think the real test would be to get my hands on both at the range, but to do so you generally need a lot of friends with toys or more likely go out and get both yourself. I'm not prepared to spend that kind of cash just yet. I'll probably just buy an ACR. Can't wait to see the caliber conversion kits.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've had my XCR since the summer of '07. It's a very nice rifle but I'll admit that I bought it mostly as a hold-me-over for the Masada at the time. I had just gotten out of the service and was tired of all things AR. It's actually now my go-to rifle I have that much confidence in it.

If you look at a nuts and bolts comparison between the two rifles they really do the same thing. They may do it differently, but they do the same things. It has some quirks that are different than what folks are used to, one of them being concerned about tight bolts on some items but once you get used to them it's a pleasure to shoot and maintain. The internals of the rifle are AK simple. The XCR is small time though, from a smaller company. I think RobArm is at the decision point of staying small or expanding what they've got.

The ACR has the benefit (depending on your point of view) of being driven to market by a very large group of firearms companies. They're better positioned to make use the Masada legacy and can push out rifles in quantity. What some XCR fans deride as a fault with respect to the extensive use of polymer is a strong point for the ACR fans. Case in point: An ACR super stock MSRP's at $150. The as of yet unseen XCR super stock has an initial MSRP of $250. Right now it's still kind of new but I've seen over on barfcom where folks have already mod'd AR barrels to work on the ACR. It's a matter of time before companies like BCM, CMMG, DD and maybe even Noveske will market an "ACR compatible" barrel. For tinkerers used to the possibilities of the AR the ACR offers a lot in that respect whereas the XCR relies on proprietary barrels.

Having said all of that, let me reiterate I wouldn't trade my XCR for anything! My ACR isn't its replacement. Each rifle brings specific things to the table that the end user has to look at to see which one will fit his/her needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts