ACR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I am new to this forum as well to the ACR platform. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and have about 800 rounds through it; I've followed the ACR program since 2009, but I have not had the pleasure of owning one till now. I think the ACR is a great weapon, but needs some help in these regards:

1. weight- needs to be lighter
2. parts- needs more availability
3. modularity- needs more of it.

I plan on addressing these things on my own regard, I will post my findings here. About me: I am a mechanical engineer for a living, I have SolidWorks, I have access to different shops and machine shops, and I have a strong desire to make this platform more awesome. I have owned several AR-type rifles, AKs (I love AKs), and I own a SCAR-16. I have shot weapons most of my life and have a thorough understanding of their dynamics.

Immediate plans:

1. Redesign the gas system. Still will be piston. It's heavy and has unnecessary complications to it, plus I should be able to buy any AR barrel from anyone and just, throw it on. NOW THAT'S MODULAR!
2. Lose weight. I like light things, which is why I chose the SCAR over the ACR initially, even though the ACR has more thought put into it. I'd like to make the ACR as light as possible, whilst still being able to run it over with a vehicle and not cause failure.
3. Caliber options. Note above statement. If they make a barrel that fits in an AR and shoots "x" round, it can go in an ACR. This would include lower options, which I will have to see what others have done here on this forum, as not to infringe.

What I would like from fellow forum members:

1. If you see something you like or have a recommendation, let me know.

My end goal is to make my ACR the best that it can be. If, after thorough testing, my designs are something that you guys like and wish to buy, I would be more than willing to make that happen. I know all the fuss with Bushmaster/Remington and their parts (or lack thereof), so I am not making promises. I'm just a nerd who likes guns. Honestly I feel the design got cheated and deserves some TLC. Thank you!

· Registered
34 Posts
I completely agree with you that the platform was cheated by BM and deserves more support. I am happy to see that you are willing to invest the time and effort to help bring about some improvements to it! Seems that the most in demand projects are barrel kits/caliber conversions, and a new lower receiver to accept AK mags and standard AR grips. I am excited to see what you come up with, keep us posted!

· Registered
336 Posts
The AK lower is already being worked on and so is a standard allow lower, but to a lesser extent. Really i think barrel sets would be my priority. The lack of available gas system and barrel nut parts is what seems to hold the process up.

What is your idea for the gas system, just lighten the gas block and piston?

· Registered
2,061 Posts
I just want a light weight alloy lower in which I can put on my own grip.but what I relly want is a rem def ACR at almost 2 lbs lighter,but the weight doesnt reall bother me that much.I like the lower and trunion that 68jjibitz is working on.Marvins lighting bolt and bbl cuts and fluting Ill get done one day.As for a 2nd cal. Ill go w/ 6.5mm when i get some cash.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I just sent another barrel assembly off to adco to see exactly how much weight can be removed 16 in oal, with the dd barrels its .5 pounds so I am hoping for at least that. Also tomorrow I ship off my bolt to marvin for the more hardcore version of the lightened bolt, together they should make a bone stock acr the same as the scar weight wise, if the lightweight reunion even gets done along with nexus's handguard that should put it right around 6.5 pounds - .3 less than than the rem def version.

BTW the acr barrel is pretty damn good which is why I am spending the cash to reprofile instead of just resizing the gas port on the dd barrel and having an extra acr barrel.

And on the topic of this thread there is 4 stocks plus an ar stock option 10 handguards many caliber changes done and the gun is littered with parts ar owners pay big for to upgrade there guns with and its 1700 street price. I dont know what kind of modularity is missing unless having to use picatinny, keymod or moe makes you sad. The piston system is designed and tested for hard use, I wouldn't go monkeying around with it just because you think you know better.

And the barrel well it will shoot .68 moa with the right ammo soooo pretty much follow what rem did or wait and buy one. The fact it was run like that against the worlds best for military contracts shoots your its not good enough theory full of holes IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.