ACR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums. Long time gun fan, Army medic 8yrs, and currently working as PMC.

So I bought my ACR-E a month ago in Alaska. Got it on SALE. Next day, I was test firing and zeroing iron sights at the range at 20 deg F. Frustratingly, it starting to have feeding problems. Almost consistanly, it would double feed, misfire, or the round would feed half way into the chamber, denting the round. My friend had a SCAR and I remember when he first fired his weapon, it had some jamming problems too. But that went away with about 60 rounds through the gun and different magazines. So I kept at it and put about 120rds of .223 Remington and different magazine types before calling it quits.

So the military side in me was in denial to think that it was the gun's fault. I then ended up breaking down the weapon for a good cleaning and found that the factory grease from the gun had solidified into a gunky gel type of residue. It was everywhere! After a good cleaning and reassembly of parts (including barrel), I was back at the range. This time, to better results. My ACR was finally running like a semi-auto rifle should. But then by the 2nd magazine of ammo, the jamming problems came back in a consistent manner.

After calling Bushmaster, customer service offered to have it mailed back for repair. That's fine, but I was on leave from Afghanistan so the plan was to troubleshoot it myself until time to leave and then mail it to Bushmaster.

what I found out...

.223 55gr Remington rounds = jamming
5.56 55gr Nato = no jamming
bolt was not locking to the rear after expending ammo 9/10 times
the ACR is a very front heavy gun! thus, making a challenging weapon platform for any standing unsupported position.

With a little tinkering around in the forums, I stumbled upon the Thread relating to gas regulators. Many people have talked about a H/L regulator from bushmaster fixing the problem. So I called Bushmaster again and asked about it. The guy on the phone was very adamant that there was no such thing and that people on the internet were making things up. I called bullshit on him and got no-where with the issue.

So it's currently mailed off, I'm back in the suck with my Gov. issued weapon dreaming of coming home to a working ACR.

Just wondering if anyone had the same problems? Is there a trend in substandard quality control at Bushmaster? What are some long term considerations with the ACR considering lack of Multi-caliber support, weight, reliability? I'm almost thinking of getting a SCAR after this whole $hit $how.

IMG_20140402_124258.jpg
A look at the solidified grease gel from factory

IMG_20140402_152754.jpg
2nd range day

IMG_20140429_222600.jpg
Jamming

IMG_20140429_223855.jpg
I probably Love the Elcan Specter more than the rifle....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Coyote Brown Basic Folder I got in a couple months ago also had solidified grease or whatever gunked all over it. It was so bad that the folding stock button completely broke when I tried to close it!

I've never had any feeding issues with any of mine though...

Bushmaster Customer Service sucks...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coyote Brown Basic Folder I got in a couple months ago also had solidified grease or whatever gunked all over it. It was so bad that the folding stock button completely broke when I tried to close it!

I've never had any feeding issues with any of mine though...

Bushmaster Customer Service sucks...
Ya, my butt stock has that gunk too. Cleaned it out but still a pain to re-position.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
I cleaned the hell out of my rifle when I got it. I lubed it a little and it runs great in every temperature I've tried it (-40 to +110 F). Sounds like you have a bad barrel set IMO.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's why I always clean my new firearm myself, and then re-lube it before I ever shoot it. I don't trust the manufacture to have used enough, or have used a quality lubricant.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The management of the ACR program overall by BM has been abysmal.

That said, if you REALLY want to have fun trying to get parts, go for it and buy that SCAR. :cool:

Good luck, let us know how it runs after you get it back.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Oh, and like others mentioned above, always fully break everything down and clean and lube.
Most gunk put on by manufs is primarily for storage not shooting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah there's "gunk" and then there's whatever this stuff is. On my gun it was crystallized and hardened. It was like a mix between 100 yr old ear wax and fossilized honeycomb! And there was so much of it packed in the button spring area of the stock that it would not allow the mechanism to function properly. When I pinned the stock I actually had to scrape the crud off the spring and completely out of that area. Even after breaking down the gun and cleaning it I guarantee you wouldn't have thought to clean where this stuff was! So just a heads up to everyone to check that out if you get a new one...

I can see lubing the internal metal parts of the gun, but whatever they're doing at BM prior to shipping they don't need to be doing! I think they're dunking the whole gun in a vat something more horrid than cosmoline!

On a positive and slightly surprising note, Bushmaster is going to honor the warranty on the stock and replace it for the guy who bought my coyote tester. Even though I pinned it and everything. So that's good on them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my ACR back in the mail and everything is working great! All I am looking forward to now is getting the rifle cut to 14.2" and flutted by marvin pitts. Unfortunately, he's been pretty hard to get a hold of recently. In the meantime, enjoy this video.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Nice! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for posting that vid, and CUT DOWN THAT BARREL!!!

There's no better time than right now to eForm it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts