ACR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions here.

1. Putting my form 1 in soon on the ACR. Looking for a short barrel. Is it worth it to pony up for a factory 10.5”, one of Dana’s BA 10.3 conversions, or a 11.5” conversion? What’re y’all running?

2. Anyone order the complete barrel assy from MGW? Is the 16” the newer 1/7 twist? Sent a message but they didn’t know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you don't plan on swapping barrels with your SBR, then you could go with Dana's setup and get the lightweight trunnion and barrel nut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't plan on swapping barrels with your SBR, then you could go with Dana's setup and get the lightweight trunnion and barrel nut.
Want to do this for the better handling, but I plan to have a x39 setup ready to roll. Guess it doesn’t have to be QD but it would be nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Want to do this for the better handling, but I plan to have a x39 setup ready to roll. Guess it doesn’t have to be QD but it would be nice.
I’d just go with a custom made barrel assembly. Factory 10.5” barrels are still overpriced. I wasn’t a fan of the QD setup. So all of my caliber conversions are non-QD w/Templar trunnion and threaded barrel nuts. In theory, the QD is nice, but you’ll never actually need to do it quickly. Plus the barrel is more secured in place, no ratcheting system to fail, with the threaded trunnion/barrel nut, and it’s lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d just go with a custom made barrel assembly. Factory 10.5” barrels are still overpriced. I wasn’t a fan of the QD setup. So all of my caliber conversions are non-QD w/Templar trunnion and threaded barrel nuts. In theory, the QD is nice, but you’ll never actually need to do it quickly. Plus the barrel is more secured in place, no ratcheting system to fail, with the threaded trunnion/barrel nut, and it’s lighter.
Good points. That’s the route I’m leaning. My QD hasn’t given me any problems yet but it doesn’t have positive clicks 100% of the time. Minimizing failure points is my top goal.

For a custom barrel- is it better to have a 16” AR barrel cut down vs a factory 11.5 for the gas port sizing? Or just go through Templar and let Dana do his thing? There’s an 11.5 DD CHF I have my eyes on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
AR gas ports overgas the ACR piston system last I heard, so Dana has to do some tuning to make them work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AR gas ports overgas the ACR piston system last I heard, so Dana has to do some tuning to make them work.
Everything I’ve read backs that up. Pistons generally need less gas. But 16” carbine ARs usually come in at .062 ish. Might be a decent match. Shorts somewhere between .070-.08.
Going to just reach out to him and see what’s available

·
Registered
501 Posts
Part of his tuning process does involve test-firing if I recall correctly. Might be wise to enquire if he's having issues (COVID, ammo, work, etc.) getting range time and how it may impact how long it'll take him to finish a barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much lighter? I've been looking to sell my ACR, but in case I keep it this would be an avenue I'd be interested in pursuing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Damn! I might have to go that route then. Ive been trying to get in contact with templar precision for a while now with no luck unfortunately
You can join the ACR Speakeasy Group. He (Dana) checks in there frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts