ACR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t tried this yet but wanted to see what some of your thoughts are on making it a defacto "bolt-action" for hunting purposes. This is not a question of legality or morality but that of practicality so keep the comments to that.

What harm would there be to fire the ACR without the bolt in place as to hinder the semi-auto function of the gun making it operate in a bolt action way?

Has anyone tried this?

Would the suppressed setting make any difference?

What about fashioning some sort of gas block to either work with the gas regulator or completely replace it?

The minimal amount of excess pressures in the barrel would not harm it I assume correct?

Either way, I am going to take the piston out and try firing it without it in place to see if I get the desired affects I am looking for and I will report back what I find.

Your thoughts?

***flame suit on*** ;D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I know people shoot the XCR w/o the gas regulator installed so they don't have to chase brass when they're shooting from the bench. Wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for the ACR too. Why you would want to do that is your business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=DSM link=topic=160.msg825#msg825 date=1284587242]
I know people shoot the XCR w/o the gas regulator installed so they don't have to chase brass when they're shooting from the bench. Wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for the ACR too. Why you would want to do that is your business.
[/quote]

Well I will tell you. Here in my home state of Pennsylvania we are only allowed to hunt with bolt action rifles during the different rifle seasons. Semi-auto's are a no go. Last year I contacted the state game commission headquarters to inquire about what the definition of a bolt action was and whether or not I could disable a semi-auto's semi automatic function in order to make it a "bolt type action". They actually had to research it and get back to me about it because they have never had an inquiry like the one I had. They got back to me the next day and told me as long as I could temporarily disable the semi-auto function as not to be able to turn it back to a semi in the field it was legal. This quite plainly means taking the piston out of the rifle, leaving it at home and I would be set to be the most "bad-ass" hunter in the woods with my tacti-cool rifle. Last year after I found out what I was able to do I took my Yugo SKS out in the woods. Granted other things like expanding bullets only and no light emitting devices on the firearm and I was set to go. My AR 15 with its direct impingement type gas system would be a lot harder to convert into and use in a bolt action type of way.

Chalk one up for the ACR! WOOOT! ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you tried this?

I live in PA too, but don't hunt. I'm more interested in not having my brass flung 7 yards across concrete when shooting from a bench or whatever. Just curious about the unused gas coming out of the barrel port.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
With the XCR I know some people turn their gas valve "midway" which does't allow gas to impinge upon the piston.

The gun fires, but it doesn't cycle.

However, this deforms your gas valve and might even send it launching downrange. Also, if the excess gas is not bled off you placing a lot of unintended pressure on the gas block, which could result in long term damage.

With the ACR, if your gas value isn't correctly installed, you'll probably launch it and your piston rod downrange

I guess what I am saying is, this is a bad idea, this is not how the ACR was designed, and by forcing it to operate incorrectly you are are risking injury and a FUBAR'ed ACR.

I would just take a bolt action personally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts