ACR Forum banner

ACR and Nikon M-223 12x42 SF

9K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  bman940 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the rifle with scope mounted on an Armalite one piece---

Controls---

Windage knob is pull-push zero, as are the others. Elevation knob has range markers for the polymer tipped 55grain, but can be click adjusted to fit any bullet---the range marks are "suggestions", since it's not cammed. Parallax knob has range markers, too, but can be fine tuned between the marks.

At first, I was plowing the field in front of the target frame and chasing pebble holes in the target---my scope experience has been limited to say the least.
A club member lent me a bore sighter though, so I cranked the elevation up two turns and got these targets after fine tuning.

Shot with Ultramax polymer tipped 55 grain---

The white paster in #3 is covering one of the pebble holes.
All in all, I am very happy with the results obtained with this combination. When I get a two stage trigger and heavy barrel fitted, I will be happier still.
-----krinko

See less See more
#5 ·
you got better results than I did last week. I was shooting 75 gr .223 and I think the 55 gr shoot better because of the 1:9 twist. I had a string of 4 shots in a space of 1/2 inch then I got a couple of flyers 1 1/2 away with the 55gr 5.56...all -in all I'm happy for what the rifle was design to do. Thx for sharing

#4 ·
There are few things as relaxing as sitting at a bench with an accurate rifle and a range bag full of ammo. :)

ETA: Just saw the location, were you out at ENGC?

#6 ·
Nikon M-223 3-12 x 42 SF- Rapid Action Turret Nikoplex

L. , with those 75 gr. bullets I can understand why your accuracy would be a little compromised. That Nikon scope is specifically made for .223 55 gr. polymer tipped bullets that travel at 3240 fps MV. As you found, once the correct grain projectile is used accuracy improves as well.

Rapid Action Turret technology
This incredible new system, based on a .223/5.56mm 55-grain polymer tipped bullet with a MV of 3240 fps simply and effectively allows you to dial in your elevation anywhere from 100 to 600 yards away in less than one revolution! Now you can stay in the middle of your Nikoplex crosshair at virtually any shooting distance with a quick turn of the turret.

This is one of my favorite scopes in the Nikon line-up.

Great Picks Krinko. Looks like a winning combination.
Is that the M-223 mount too?

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

#9 ·
I do some Pro Staff work for Nikon Sport Optics.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
I don't suppose we can bother you with ideas about new products can we, like say.............

A M-223 1x/4x or 1x/6x with a 30inch tube, illuminated retitcle and same pricing as the other m-223 stuff. I have always like nikon glass and it's usually reasonable.

#12 ·
While the ballistics are different just point accuracy issues would be more in line with projectile and bore dynamics like losman was saying. 1:9 and 75's are hit or miss. Some barrels like them, some don't. They'll shoot a 69gr class bullet like crazy though.

#14 ·
I do agree. Bullet stability and accuracy will suffer if barrel isn't tuned to stabilize the heavier bullets. I had some that keyholes out of my 16 in AR but worked reasonably well out of my 26 in Savage bolt rifle.
Finding what works best for your set up is important.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
Bart...Specific to the M-223 how much is the BDC going to vary when firing 55 62 or 75 gr 223's? Inches? or do you only recommend to use the 55gr?

#17 ·
"ETA: Just saw the location, were you out at ENGC?"

DSM---
Yes, last Tuesday, down on the 100 yard Water Meadow.

bman---
If I read the instructions right, the scope ought to work with any bullet weight/velocity combination---the top turret locks a range scale for the 55g Poly, but the 1/4MOA clicks are still there for those as need them.
When the weather permits, I will run some 62g and 75g---but that might be awhile, I'm in Nebraska after all and it ain't Spring yet.
-----krinko

#18 ·
Absolutely, you can shoot any weight bullet you want to and make turret adjustments. I'm all about making it easier though. We turned some guys loose with this scope last summer on a 623 yard range and they were pinging steel 100-200-300-400-500-600 yards just by dialing up the distance on the turret. It does help to follow directions with the scope. I have one on an AR that has a 16 in. barrel and 10 in. plates are not safe at 600 yards just like my 20 in. barrel or my Savage .223 with the 26 in. barrel.
Bullet weight and drop, obviously it is influenced by MV as well.
77 gr. 100 yards. -2.38,200 -10.17, 300 -24.55
62 gr -1.99, -8.80 -22.44
55 gr -1.84 -8.24 21.31

This info all came off Nikon's (free) Spot On web-site.
Hope it helps?

#19 ·
Bart, I have had my ACR for three months now, and ever since then, all I have been doing is saving money for Optics. In the last three months I must of spent close to 250 man hours (and counting) researching various optics/scopes ranging in price from $275 nto $1,800, from 1x to 1-4x to 4x fix to 2.5-8x32, red dot , illuminated reticle to just plain cross hair with mil dot and or BDC...you name the manufacturer ... i have looked at them.

The question that I feel one has to ask themselves is... what do you want to do with an ACR or whatever rifle you're looking to match a rifle with regarding to matching it with optics? And, how easy is it going to be to use this scope/optics effectively? Warranty and customer support is important but, what Nikon has done with regards with the Spot on with Ballistic Match technology Calculator website is impressive! I will certainly be taking a closer look at your stuff.

Any plans on a illuminated dot in the M-233 series. You guys have everybody beat in the ease of use category. A Red dot that is NV compatible would make you guys unbeatable. For the price point you guys come in at, your reticles can't be beat.

Thanks to Krinko for starting this thread.

#20 ·
Thanks Losman for the praise. Spot on has been a huge help to many hunters/shooters. As for new products with the specs you stated, Honestly, you never know.We make suggestions and the powers that be do some review work and more research......You just never know. Ever since Nikon first came out with the 1-4 with the Point Blank Reticle guys have been asking for an illuminated dot. I think it would definitely fit a niche market, but it takes more then just me suggesting it. We do have an illuminated 1.1-4 with a 30 mm tube in our African Series scope but it is significantly more money then the M-223 1-4 PBR.

A lot of folks when they first start looking at scopes for their rifles don't really follow any specific plan for their purchase. It's kind of like buying a car...What will its primary use be, how much do I want to spend (always important), How far will I be shooting, How far do I want to shoot...., special features.....? Definitely a lot of things to consider and thanks tot he internet a lot of information can be researched quickly and easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.