ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence between a Scar and the ACR both have pros and cons weight, ergos and build quality. I've heard lots of bitching or fanboying, but haven't seen much about the accuracy and shootability of the ACR. I'd really like to purchase an America product but FN does support the action shooting sports that I enjoy.
Please help
thanks
chris

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Whatever accuracy you get out of a rack grade AR you can be sure to expect to get out of the ACR. I was about 2MOA with regular M193 ball and the factory trigger (hey, I'm spoiled with fancy triggers anymore...). That's not bad with ammo that has an acceptance standard of about 4MOA in my books.

As far as choice between the two that's all personal preference. Get what you'll shoot and enjoy I say. But I do think in the long run you'll get better service out of the ACR and Bushmaster. For FN, the SCAR in civvy sales was an afterthought and currently spare parts and service is problematic and handled solely through the factory. The ACR on the other hand has been out for less than a year and BM has already started to stock accessories with more options to come.

Right now my biggest issue with the ACR the weight. You can control that a little by getting the barrel turned down and chopping back to 14.5" w/ a Phantom or something. It'll pull the center of gravity back a little bit and help it not be so nose heavy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i wanted a scar myself. then when ive seen a few wasnt impressed. the stocks would giggle a little and that has some affect of accuracy. and i hate the reciprocating charging handle. shooting around a barrier or something you catch that charging handle youll have a hick-up. the acr is build around being high speed. accuracy wise. they will be pretty much the same. some people a 1inch group and a 1.01inch group is a big difference. if thats the case id go with a bolt action. "but what if zombies attack i need something that shoots fast." yes ive heard that. in that case..... better learn to cycle the bolt faster. lol unless your on of the spartans in halo or a ranger in call of duty you cant operate a bolt action jumping off a 3 story building while throwing a grenade and pulling off a head shot all at the sametime. what its gunna come down to is what rifle feels better to you. i choose the acr because the charging handle doesnt reciprocate, barrel and caliber changes are way quicker along with changing out the stock or handgurad it takes less than 30 seconds, i like the feel of it, an magpul just makes killer products. i can just tell a difference in magpul plastic. i got the folding stock for my acr and the thing is solid. no giggle. i would have to say i feel comfortable butt stroking someone with it and it holding its own. it almost bring a tear to my eye on the durability and craftsmanship they put into it. phew i need a tissue..... ok im good. the rifle in general is great though.

p.s. i mentioned call of duty in here and i was in no way saying it is realistic i was just adding some humor cause people think oh my god call of duty. but halo..... thats real stuff. believe it. youll see in the year 2500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt2636 & DSM
Thanks for the replies and information, its true that for FN civi sales is an after thought plus the parts aren't cheap. If the gun can get 2-3 moa that's good for me I just hadn't seen alot of talk about it the guns accuracy. Most folks break down into 2 groups with any item they love them and never have any real problems or they buy stuff and bitch about how it isn't perfect and never really use them.
Thanks
chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
no prob. i heard socom is givin up the scar. i dont get how the military does the dust test and the m16 gets its butt kicked but they still keep it. doesnt make sence to me. but yeah go take a look at a couple different acrs and scars and check em out. what kind of optic you gunna go with?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt
The optics i've been thinking about quite a bit either a Trijicon 1-4 or a burris xtreme. The m4 must pass the other tests with flying colors.
chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote author=chirsva link=topic=163.msg856#msg856 date=1284847379]
The m4 must pass the other tests with flying colors.
[/quote]

I hear it got high marks on the cost test =P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theres nothing really wrong in the M4/m16 design you just have to clean it and lube it. I've always thought when the rifle was changed from a .308 to 5.56 reducing the tolerances and the operating pressure you will have problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The limited time that I shot my ACR before the slam fire problem, proved it exceptionally accurate. Even using surplus ammo my shots were touching. I have not ever shot a rifle that I was able to do that with. I have a Bushmaster Varminter also, that should do that, but my skill is below what the weapon will do. I do not know why I am better with the ACR, but targets don't lie. It is easily 1 MOA.

The perceived recoil is almost non-existent with the ACR. Next outing will be at 200 yards when it comes back from the factory. You will see the results right here.

It is my "sniper" rifle with only a 16" barrel... Of course the 24x scope helps...

·
Registered
28 Posts
This target was shot at 100 yards, off bags, using the Hornady .223 with V-max 55gr projectile and an EOTech sight, of all things.

It measures 1 5/8" center to center, out to the spoiler and ain't bad for a carbine length barrel.

The more I fire it, the more I like it.
-----krinko

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Good shootin!!

Wait till ya put 10x glass on it and shoot off the bench with your rifles pet load. The free float barrel shines!!

8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
With 55gr ammo the groups are very respectable at 100 yds. I tried some Hornady Ammunition hrndy 223rem 75gr bthp mtch, and did not get very good results. My 1 MOA turned into 4 MOA. The barrel is probably not optimized for the heavier ammo. Several types of .223 and 5.56 55gr all worked very well.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
The ACR shoots about the same for me as the XCR and any off the rack Colt AR15. I'm getting about 2 MOA at 50 meters.

This is average for me. The only gun that has ever given me tighter groups is the LWRC M6A1

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am attempting to attach a target photo.

This target was shot at 100 yards, with 4 types of 55gr .223 ammo. At the range that I use, the benches are "doubles" separated by a sheet of plywood. Unfortunately movements by either party move the bench for both. It reduces the accuracy a little due to the unpredictable nature of the person in the other seat. But enough with excuses, here are the results.

The squares are 1" for reference.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
They went where you were aiming so I say that's pretty respectable!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
[quote author=IXLR8 link=topic=163.msg1070#msg1070 date=1287009857]
I am attempting to attach a target photo.

This target was shot at 100 yards, with 4 types of 55gr .223 ammo. At the range that I use, the benches are "doubles" separated by a sheet of plywood. Unfortunately movements by either party move the bench for both. It reduces the accuracy a little due to the unpredictable nature of the person in the other seat. But enough with excuses, here are the results.

The squares are 1" for reference.
[/quote]

Nice shooting, looks like you have it dialed in very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The scar climbs badly. Not the acr. I have other issues though. Brass fowling and ejector failure after 250 rounds. Any one else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had the most difficult time ever zeroing this gun. It doesn't seem consistent. However I may have a Lemmon. It's happened to me before with the first m4a3 I bought from bushy. Clamped down I couldn't get consistency. Shootin xm 556 exclusively

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
[quote author=Scrotus link=topic=163.msg1296#msg1296 date=1288580926]
I've had the most difficult time ever zeroing this gun. It doesn't seem consistent. However I may have a Lemmon. It's happened to me before with the first m4a3 I bought from bushy. Clamped down I couldn't get consistency. Shootin xm 556 exclusively
[/quote]

Make sure your barrel lock is tight. I have seen a couple come from the factory slightly loose. Also make sure your sights are level on the rail and tight.

When you say the rifle isn't consistent, what do you mean? Is it all over the paper? 8 inch groups at short range, (<25yards) just trying to narrow down where the problem might be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes all over the paper at 25. I pulled in the iron sight first then co witnessed the eotech.
Iron sights never stayed consistent and the eotech didn't either. On the m4 it was perfect every time. Beer can at 100 not a prob. Yesterday with the acr I was lucky to get 10" group on a 5 gal paint can at a 100. I would lay several on target then other were total miss. Same poa. The magnifier seems even more unpredictable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts