ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Trying to figure out what I could be doing wrong here. Took the ACR out again on Saturday to zero some new sights. Started off using PMC Bronze 55gr and then moved on to M193 ball.

First three shot group was obviously low as seen in the image below. After adjusting elevation, second three shot group was dead center with tight groups. However, that was the tightest group I shot all day. Every other three round group ended up being around .7 to 1.2 MOA; largest being around 1.5 MOA. This was done at 25 yard but if it was 100 yards, that's almost a 6" spread.

Thinking it was perhaps me, I stopped using the ACR and instead took the Oly out of its bag. This is what I got:

Going back to the ACR again yielded pretty wide groups. At 25 meters, I didn't expect things to open up this much. I'm wondering if the barrel could be moving in its trunnion although I checked and it was pretty tight. I'm also wondering if the ACRs trigger could be the culprit as it seems a fair bit heavier than the AR.

Thoughts on what to check? All shooting was done with bags. No off-hand.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
breath control and sight alignment

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
breath control and sight alignment
Did you read the entire post? That's what I thought until I started shooting the AR. All good groups there. Back to the ACR though? Wide groups everywhere.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Try shooting at a hundred and see. Try some good ammo. Get a caldwell lead sled or bags and see. It seems accurate. I've had some bad runs of ammo that shot all over. Try eliminating all human error and ammo quality issues and going from there. Its a good rifle but remember its not a match rifle. So see if you can seperate accuracy issues with quality issues.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try shooting at a hundred and see. Try some good ammo. Get a caldwell lead sled or bags and see. It seems accurate. I've had some bad runs of ammo that shot all over. Try eliminating all human error and ammo quality issues and going from there. Its a good rifle but remember its not a match rifle. So see if you can seperate accuracy issues with quality issues.
Good suggestions. Will give that a shot next weekend. For what it's worth, the PMC Bronze 55gr from Korea is more accurate than the Federal 55gr M193 ball I was using. What is odd however is that the M193 shot good groups out of the Oly. This lead me to think that something else may be amiss. I really wish I could lighten up the ACRs trigger though...

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I always liked the pmc bronze. Trigger squeeze is my issue in terms of accuracy. Try getting a new trigger set or maybe a gun smith can work some magic on yours.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short of the barrel possibly moving in its trunnion, I have a strong feeling it might be the trigger in the ACR. It feels somewhere closer to 9 pounds instead of the 4-6 pounds I'm used to.

I've heard AR triggers and springs drop right into the factory box, so I might give that a shot...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
when Gisselle come out with the new ACR trigger check it out.also give the trigger time to loosen up,the stock trigger is pretty tough.

http://geissele.com/

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Is the acr barrel tightened all the way?

Im gonna post a thread later tonight about my groups, but I was using pmc 55 gr and got 1.25" groups at 100 with an acog

Btw the acr stock trigger sucks lol, id go match out of the box

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1.25" at 100 yards is pretty good for a battle rifle. Granted you were also using an Acog. Anyway, did your trigger loosen up over time? Mine only has about 200 rounds through it, and it feels rough and heavy; about 9 pounds as stated earlier.

BTW, my barrel is on tight, or at least I think so. I move the handle over until I can't move it any more than give it one more pull for good measure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ that's what I use, 2k rounds later zero problems, I've not really shot the acr trigger that much
How did you replace? Just like the AR? I'm assuming tap the two pins out of the ACR trigger box, swap parts, and replace pins??

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
ya, you take the pull the lever that sits on the safety switch up and spin the safety switch upside down, remove it and pull the box out

then you swap the trigger like on an ar15, minus the hammer spring, i use the acr one with my rra stage 2nm hammer

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.

Curious - are lighter OEM drop-in trigger packs in the works from BM? At the very least, does anyone know where I can source an extra trigger-group box?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Curious - are lighter OEM drop-in trigger packs in the works from BM? At the very least, does anyone know where I can source an extra trigger-group box?
Last time I called BFI, (post move) the guy on the other end basically said they are not available and there is no time frame when they may be. As far as a drop in solution, if BFI was smart, they would eventually offer one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last time I called BFI, (post move) the guy on the other end basically said they are not available and there is no time frame when they may be. As far as a drop in solution, if BFI was smart, they would eventually offer one.
I would hope so. It makes sense, at least from a customization perspective which this rifle is all about.

Heck - the XCR offers a 3.5lb trigger stock... not sure how reliable it is, but I'd be happy if BM offers a 4 or 4.5 lb single-stage, non-adjustable, drop-in trigger pack for the ACR. That should offer better performance while keeping reliability in check.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello all,

Trying to figure out what I could be doing wrong here. Took the ACR out again on Saturday to zero some new sights. Started off using PMC Bronze 55gr and then moved on to M193 ball.

First three shot group was obviously low as seen in the image below. After adjusting elevation, second three shot group was dead center with tight groups. However, that was the tightest group I shot all day. Every other three round group ended up being around .7 to 1.2 MOA; largest being around 1.5 MOA. This was done at 25 yard but if it was 100 yards, that's almost a 6" spread.

Thinking it was perhaps me, I stopped using the ACR and instead took the Oly out of its bag. This is what I got:

Going back to the ACR again yielded pretty wide groups. At 25 meters, I didn't expect things to open up this much. I'm wondering if the barrel could be moving in its trunnion although I checked and it was pretty tight. I'm also wondering if the ACRs trigger could be the culprit as it seems a fair bit heavier than the AR.

Thoughts on what to check? All shooting was done with bags. No off-hand.
I have been able to get 1 1/2 consistently at 100 yds and 5-6 at 200 yds using a scope 1.15 x5 leupold scope...and yes the AR is more accurate that's my opinion, but the ACR hasn't jammed on me yet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts