ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm new to this forum and I've been interested in this platform since the Masada days. I'm on the fence about accuracy reports. I don't feel I have sure footing regarding this subject and I would like input from you guys. Post some groups please and accuracy impressions. I have a few good SBR's already XCR, LWRC, Yugo M92 with "side folder" and a Bulgy AK 74u. I'm looking to round off the collection with an ACR if it prints respectably. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Don't have any ACR groups on the camera but accuracy was comparable with every rack grade AR I've ever shot. I'd deem the accuracy potential very good which of course depends on what you're feeding it and who's on the trigger and all that stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dont have any images and wont be able to get out to the range again for about a week(horrible, I know), but I have regularly held 1.5-2 MOA groups with mine. Keep in mind that many of the videos and posts people put out there dissing the accuracy of the ACR show groups that clearly show more shooter error or bad ammunition choice than anything else.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
With quality ammo I'd say MOA or better wouldn't be unreasonable. All I've shot is either service ball or plinking reloads for the most part and those have all been "minute of tin can/soda bottle/milk jug".

I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of accuracy as long as you have realistic expectations. It won't be laser beam accurate but it won't be a shotgun either.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It's all been said above, my experience is the rifle is more accurate then I am. None of my other simular rifles are any more accurate. Only thing I have that beats it accuracy wise is a tuned Rem 700 in .308 with a 26 inch barrel. It will consistantly clover leaf 5 round groups at 100 yards (If I do my part)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People crap all over the 1/9 twist but really it is an excellent twist rate for accuracy. I believe the 1/8 twist is the best for tactical applications. I'm a avid reloader, shooter I have a handle on rifle performance and the 1/7 offers less to me (I don't think it's a poor twist it just doesn't apply to 95% of my shooting needs). Thanks for your honest inputs. When I get one I may clone some barrels for 6x45 or 6.5 mpc (6.5x45) or even a whisper. This platform has so much potential.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
...............When I get one I may clone some barrels for 6x45 or 6.5 mpc (6.5x45) or even a whisper. This platform has so much potential.
When you say "clone" does that mean it will be the same as the barrel it was copied from other then caliber?

Who do you use?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
But....but....1:7....aren't we supposed to want 1:7? :D

I'd go as far as saying that 1:8 would be the best all around twist because it'll carry you through everything that'll feed from the magazine. I'm not rich enough to shoot 77gr tips exclusively so the 1:9 works fine for ringing steel and punching paper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you say "clone" does that mean it will be the same as the barrel it was copied from other then caliber?

Who do you use?
Correct, or it can be longer or Hbar but still have the important relief cuts for mounting the piston or barrel extension. A cnc machined copy kinda like making a key copy at Wally world.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a fine grasp, plus you can use stupid light projectiles for exploding varmints. Faster twists shred the jackets.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I can swage my own bullets from 22LR cases. Have to keep the velocity down on them but they are super thin jackets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you need infallible results dont inconveinace yourself, send me the rifle and your choice of ammo. I'll get it done for you Ricky tic.
Spoken like a true Marine...err...I mean Corpsman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
what's your point!?
What he means is he doesn't make mistakes when it comes to shooting. I am sure he meant no disrespect. ;) This is a typical attitude among Marines, even those that sport a pizza box(the lowest qualification badge...its always that they got screwed in the pits...never that they didnt apply the fundimentals). Since he is a Navy Corpsman (complete assumption on my part based off of his screen name) he is pretty much the same thing as a Marine except when the shit hits the fan his job is to plug the holes in the good guys not put them in the bad guys.

Also that we never turn down an opportunity to shoot something, especially when its paid for by someone else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What he means is he doesn't make mistakes when it comes to shooting. I am sure he meant no disrespect. ;) This is a typical attitude among Marines, even those that sport a pizza box(the lowest qualification badge...its always that they got screwed in the pits...never that they didnt apply the fundimentals). Since he is a Navy Corpsman (complete assumption on my part based off of his screen name) he is pretty much the same thing as a Marine except when the shit hits the fan his job is to plug the holes in the good guys not put them in the bad guys.

Also that we never turn down an opportunity to shoot something, especially when its paid for by someone else.

Expert my friend, never ate a pizza at stone bay or any other range. Almost 100% correct, when the shit hits the fan we first apply preventive medicine when applicable and then plug the holes of both parties (should the enemy be absent of a security round). I loved my four years with them, hated the blue side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone observed that the rifeling in the bore is somewhat shallow as compared to an AR? I had noticed a few imperfections in the grooves just forward of the chamber. It just looks a bit "wavey" in a few places for lack of a better description. My gunsmith observed that the lands don't seem to be nearly as prominent as most other barrels he'd seen. He actually said he'd be surprised if it shot well it was so noticeable.
I have to say it is not as accurate as my other AR's. With a Leupold 3x9 mounted I get just under 2 m.o.a. average after shooting 5 different loads in the 55 to 62 gr. range. Might get a sub-m.o.a. group (rarely) and then get a 3" group folllowed right afterword with the same load. I may get a nice 1" group with 4 rds. with the 5th an inch and a half out. Other factors (wind/shot break, ect.) having been ruled out.
I mean, not horrible but I wish it was more consistent. Anyone else have the same issue with their rifeling?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts