ACR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone building/built a 9mm AR pistol recently? I purchased an EDC Tactical lower and a Gibbz Arms side charging upper and 5.5" handguard recently and was curious if anyone else had the 9mm AR pistol bug. I REALLY wanted a Robinson XCR pistol because it was like a little ACR but the price was stupid expensive and I absolutely LOVE the CZ Scorpion EVO, but I opted to build a 9mm AR pistol instead. A piece by piece build appealed to me for the sheer fact that custom building a one of a kind gun sounded awesome. I realize it will be more expensive than outright buying a CZ scorpion EVO but I think it will be more fun in the long run. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else out there is interested in the topic and wanted to chat about it. Any ideas welcome, doesn't have to be restricted to 9mm, I'll talk any caliber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I built an ar9 before the glock lowers were available or the scorpion. If I were buying or building today I would opt for one of those. I would probably side with the scorpion though.. I have one of those too...I can give you a list of pros and cons between the scorpion, colt style ar9, & glock style ar9 of you like. I used a std lower w/a block adapter, 3.5lb dit, ba 8.3" barrel in 1/2x28(I shoot it suppressed), matrix ams side charging upper, cheap 7" rail & kak blade...though I should have gone sb tactical instead

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was looking at SB Tactical for that PDW brace. So instead of completely building a custom gun from the ground up, you’d rather just buy an XCR or specifically a Scorpion EVO? I guess I’m just curious, did you have a bad experience or build result? The Scorpion EVO is cheap(and awesome) but the XCR is way more expensive than customizing (with good parts) an AR pistol. I appreciate any insight you have. This is my first build so I’m a rookie at this project.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have any experience with the xcr & it is cost prohibitive to me over what I would gain on a well built or produced AR. I only have my ACRs because I got a steal of a deal on them. To me the cz bren would be a close competitor, but has a proven record & can be had for less. An IWI tavor also comes to mind & simular pricing, but again proven record. Pdw stocks or braces haven't grown on me yet...I prefer SB's folding or traditional braces. The pdw just doesn't fit my usage. I like pistol cals for a couple of reasons. You can shoot them at any range without hearing our backstop isn't rated for that. They suppress well. Generally aren't affected by different ammo suppressed or otherwise. Ammo is cheap & can be reloaded a lot if your into reloading.
I like the build I did & colt style mags can be had cheap...think mine cost $12 a pop shipped. Parts for 9mm were more expensive back then so I have more in my ar9 than my scorpion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
An ar9 is a nice platform don't get me wrong. If you have something that takes glock mags already then a glock mag ar9 would be just fine. There are tons of options for parts when it comes to ARs now. The 9mm in the AR was a much later after thought & the platform was never design form blowback. I think that is in part what makes the scorpion better. The scorpion has a different feel all around to me. Aftermakert support is coming along great & is even embraced by the factory. Cz is releasing a scorpion this year that has a couple of big parts made in the aftermarket. Who doesn't love the occasional HK slap. Again I prefer to shoot suppressed & the scorpion it's closed in the back keeping all gases out of you face, unless the wind isn't in your favor or poorly vented indoor range.
I love side charging guns, which is why I went with a side charging ar9 like I did. I don't like that the bar is exposed pin the Gibbz upper though which is why I went with the matrix arms upper.
I think 9mm is great for cheap training& fun, but belongs in a traditional pistol to be carried at the side in most situations. I like 223 or better for a primary, even as a house gun...just mind your ammo, barrel length, & line of fire. All of which should be done no matter the cal. Even the pistol form (10" min please) 223 does what I would want to do better than 9mm in any pistol or occ.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on man I appreciate all the inputs. I don’t take any offense to a difference of opinion, especially about guns so no need to defend yourself haha. I do love the Scorpion Evo, I’m trying to model my build a little off that gun. I was actually looking at the side folding stock options for a 9mm AR today and I agree I like them better than the PDW, they just cost a lot right now. That was a huge selling point for me on the ACR (folding stock). I too also got my ACR for a steal from a forum member here back in 2011. As far as suppressed shooting goes, I totally understand why ya went with the Scorpion. The Gibbz side charging upper I bought has a little spring loaded “flap” in the back for suppressed shooting but it’s probably not as good as the CZ. I did get a lower that accepts Glock mags, seemed like those were the most common. I might still pick up a Scorpion EVO after the build, depends how it goes. I’m glad the aftermarket world has taken to CZ, I’ve come across a lot of it while shopping for parts for my build. I wish the aftermarket world would show the same love to the ACR haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We all want better aftermarket & factory support for the acr. My ar9 has a flap in the back too that sits on a step ledge, so it does okay, but can still get gassy when shooting suppressed. I like the 8" barrel I got from BA a lot. It is very accurate & all the loads I've shot all the powered is burnt up by then & getting great velocity while staying short enough to get around easily. I also have comfortable rail space to hold it a couple different ways without shooting digits off lol. I'm 6ft so my arms are longer & hands bigger than average so it helps me out a lot. Waiting on SB tactical's new adjustable brace that uses a std car ext. May want to look at that too, they can be preordered right now for a decent price & the tube is included. That with go with the 11.5" 5.56 upper I'm putting together. If you make your oal over 26" you have a firearm & not a pistol so you can have a vertical grip if you want.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NICE! I was looking at BA for my barrel choice as well! Glad to hear they're good. I'm going with a 5.5" barrel with the KVP linear comp (I have a 5.5" handguard). My OAL should be around 22" (going for short) and I just bought the Magpul MLOK handstop to keep from shooting off digits haha (i'm a taller guy too). I don't care for the vertical grips as much anymore. I had one on my ACR for the first few years but i switched out for the Magpul AFG V2. I toss it on once in awhile when I'm bench shooting (has a built in bipod). I'll check out SB's new brace, thanks for the heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts