ACR Forum banner

1911, which one for under a G

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cyberdemonbfg 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have the itch to get a 1911. I have wanted one for a long long time...I have shot many and shoot them well. Most older and no longer available. So with so many available today which one? So I am looking for a 5", stainless, 45ACP, I have handled the following but have not shot:

Ruger SR1911: Nice, internal extractor, cast frame, nice novak dovetail sights, skeletonized trig, stainless. New, very little track record (this is a negative but ruger is very good about warranty). Some MIM parts but not in the bad places. Very tight (Exceptionally tight)...tighter then the SW1911 and most others. It is impressive but I have not shot it. Beaver tail is nice and skeletonized Hammer some added pluses. Price 699...lifetime warranty

S&M SW1911: Similar to the SR1911 but an external extractor been around for a while and I have heard excellent things about it. Accuracy is among the higher end more expensive 1911 so it is pretty good but more and seems to be on the outs at S&W...e-series is replacing it. This 1911 has a very reliable track record! Like this grip better but would put a hogue on any 1911 I get. I do like the serration on the SW1911 the best. Price 860...lifetime warranty.

Colt Series 80 gov, fit and finish is beautiful! Everything is smooth on it! Release, safety, slide...everything is very smooth! I have heard mixed on accuracy. It isnt as tight as the ruger but not sloppy either. I love the sights but cant say I hate the others. I am not a Novak rear sight fan so I will put a 10-8 on any 1911 I get for the rear. I have one on my M&P9 and absolutely love it! 865...warranty???

Remington R1, decent cheap, big dots but a no thrills 1911. I have actually heard good things...including accuracy. But remingtons warranty sucks, their customer service sucks and it is a new platform without a track record. Soooo????? It has the least amount of extras of all, no skel trig, hammer...etc! Cast frame...etc! 699...warranty 1 year!

Springfield Mil-spec, Forged frame...only one of the group. No skel trig or hammer. I could step up to the loaded for the price is right...800 and warranty is very good but I have heard a lot about accuracy being average. Not a US manufacturer either...this is a big problem for me!

So I am leaning towards the SW1911 if I can even find one. Basspro is sold out! they had them for 749!!!! Then there is the Ruger...very attractive and finally the loaded.

Let me know

See less See more
#3 ·
For under a $1k you have quite a few options, but keep in mind that it generally takes about 500 rounds to properly break in a 1911. Why not find a good used Kimber, Springfield, Colt off of your local forums or on gunbroker? Used= Someone else paid the $$ in ammo to break it in for you. Pluse you get a "higher end" weapon for the money.

Good Luck!

#6 ·
+1 on the Used Kimber. I was lucky enough to get a near-mint TLE II used for around $675 net. (results not typical). It was actually in Cabelas for $800, but even that was too high. So, I went with a Tactical Pro model that they had marked down to I think $450 b/c it had a cracked thumb safety. I bought it and figured on getting it repaired for about $50. Well, it turned out that the sear was worn through and it was doubling. Cabelas agreed to pay to have the work done. After a $100 repair, when I contacted them to give them an invoice, they said they didn't want to pay it. I bitched and we arrived at a straight trade deal for the full size TLE II.

But I digress. I have some friends who really like their Taurus. They do shoot well, and they come with loads of extras standard (i.e.- ambi-saftey, rail, night sights, etc.)

Good Luck

#4 ·
I have a friend that just picked up a new springfield range officer and that thing shoots through the same hole.He had a springfield 1911 loaded that accuracy wasn't that great which was what he traded in on the range officer.

Stay away from the series 80 colt's.I had a series 80 Gold cup national match that was horrible in the accuracy dept.Series 70's or pre series 70's are tack drivers.Still have a pre 70's national match that's as good as any thing out there with the original springs in it.My friend(above)and i both carry 3 inch kimbers and are happy with them,more accurate than they should be but new they are not cheap.
I have been curious about that ruger as well,looks good to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.