ACR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if Bushmaster/Remington will make a 14.5" barrel with a PA flash hider( to make it 16" legal). I have been looking on the net and can't find anything on it. I am a huge fan of LWRC and like how they offer this as an option, as well as other companies. This would be a big selling point for the ACR because for home defense, a shorter rifle is better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody out there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
First, I would argue that a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached FH is not substantially shorter than a 16" barrel with a removable FH, and that the benefit in an indoor scenario would be minimal.

Second, I would argue the wisdom of using a rare and expensive rifle for home defense purposes, where it is likely to be seized as evidence and stored under questionable conditions for a lengthy period of time even in the event of a "good shoot".

Third, Remington lists a 14.5" barrel option on the military side of the house, so it wouldn't surprise me if BM eventually offered a 14.5"+perm FH on the civilian side. This will likely take quite some time, however, as they're going to be selling the 16" guns faster than the can make them and won't have the time or desire to make other components available separately in the near term.

Finally, if/when component parts become available, it shouldn't be any big deal to have any regular AR barrel converted into an ACR barrel. This will open up a whole world of opportunities, regardless of what's offered by the factory.

FWIW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=shooter521 link=topic=37.msg156#msg156 date=1263573231]
First, I would argue that a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached FH is not substantially shorter than a 16" barrel with a removable FH, and that the benefit in an indoor scenario would be minimal.

Second, I would argue the wisdom of using a rare and expensive rifle for home defense purposes, where it is likely to be seized as evidence and stored under questionable conditions for a lengthy period of time even in the event of a "good shoot".

[/quote]
Well first off, the ACR has a 16.5" barrel and yes, it would substantially different holding a 14.5" barrel than a 16.5" barrel in a CQB environment. And who cares whether or not the flash hider is PA or not, its gonna be on the gun anyway, so it is therefore a part of the overall length of the gun! Doesn't matter if it's PA or not! If it did not matter, then all U.S. military would be carrying a 16" M4 and not a 14.5".

Secondly, where would you approve a citizen to use the ACR? Only for plinking or 3 gun shoots! If I wanted that I would buy something substantially cheaper. I'm not saying that I would ONLY use it for home defense, but a gun that expensive has to fill multiple roles. Sure, it could be stored under questionable conditions, but I could be stored in questionable conditions if I defended my home under THIS ADMINISTRATION! I certainly will not buy an ACR for storage.

Don't take for being an a** but c'mon dude!

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote author=leadpersuasion link=topic=37.msg157#msg157 date=1263584228]
Secondly, where would you approve a citizen to use the ACR? Only for plinking or 3 gun shoots! [/quote]

Hey, when you get yours, use it wherever and however you want. I'm just saying that if I had to choose between a $$$$ ACR and, say, a garden-variety AR or shotgun for home defense, I'd use the AR or shotgun. Same reason I carry a Glock for personal protection and not a $3000 custom 1911. If my gun ever gets taken as evidence, no biggie b/c I've got another one just like it in the safe, and I could go out tomorrow and pick up another one new or used at any gunshop in the country.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own several ARs all have a 16" barrel on them, I also handle the 14.5" M4's when in the corps. I can tell you first hand that the diference is absolutelly minimal. If you want to loose your ability to attach after market flash hiders and supressors over 1.5", go ahead. I personally stat away from the 14.5" PA stuff.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Well it all depends on the PA FH/Comp. In any case I would rather not have it PA be able to choose an aftermarket one in the event I want a suppressor, or buy the latest greatest muzzle device available. I just want to be able to have options.

With that said, it is your rifle, and you must decide what you want on YOUR rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys! But I guess nobody knows if they will offer a 14.5" PA version or not, so....oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy 14.5 barrel and have the FS of your choice silver soldered or pinned on. Since you have a choice of barrels and calibers..........you could buy the 18" in your choice of caliber and buy the 14.5 after and have a QCB and DMR rifle.
Or get the rifle and register it as a short barrel rifle and put any barrel on it you want. The SDR paperwork is easy if you already own the rifle, cost $ 200.00 and you can do the paperwork yourself, takes all of about 8 to 12 weeks. Thats provided you live in a state that allows SBR.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
[quote author=leadpersuasion link=topic=37.msg170#msg170 date=1263661698]
Thanks for the advice guys! But I guess nobody knows if they will offer a 14.5" PA version or not, so....oh well.
[/quote]

99% of all manufacturers who offer a 14.5" barrel will offer it with a PA FH because of NFA rules and the civilian market will demand it. I think you are worried over nothing, really.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Relax, within a year or two , you will see every imaginable combination of barrels, accessories, etc.

This is NOT a non-profit venture. Cerberus/Freedom Group wants to make some money and produce a good product. We are not even to day one yet. Nobody has a carbine yet !

The Masada concept is a multi-caliber, interchangable barrel platform. You are going to see more stuff for it this year than most guys can afford.

I'm hoping that the aftermarket high end barrel makers will get into the act pretty quick. Sure would like a stainless or N4 Noveske barrel.

J

·
Registered
36 Posts
Relax, within a year or two , you will see every imaginable combination of barrels, accessories, etc.The Masada concept is a multi-caliber, interchangable barrel platform. You are going to see more stuff for it this year than most guys can afford.J
LOL OMD, would you care to have that post redacted? So, here we are months away away from the prophasiezed "or two" mark, and ZERO. Even though shrubmaster advertised a chrome lined 1/7 barrel, no dice. The sales representatives even deny the existence of it. I love this rifle, however.... I'm starting to regret getting rid of my 10.5" & 14.5" 416 uppers. (though their sale did pay for 50% of my Harley which was not bad for a $1400.00 investment lol). Unfortunately, the Kool Aid tasted too good. Personally, I'm gonna box it up and if by Christmas I don't see a barrel I'm selling it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
LOL OMD, would you care to have that post redacted? So, here we are months away away from the prophasiezed "or two" mark, and ZERO. Even though shrubmaster advertised a chrome lined 1/7 barrel, no dice. The sales representatives even deny the existence of it. I love this rifle, however.... I'm starting to regret getting rid of my 10.5" & 14.5" 416 uppers. (though their sale did pay for 50% of my Harley which was not bad for a $1400.00 investment lol). Unfortunately, the Kool Aid tasted too good. Personally, I'm gonna box it up and if by Christmas I don't see a barrel I'm selling it.
Barrel modifications are a popular spec change among us here. I had mine shortened, pinned, and re-profiled for about $100 shipped with insurance. It was done in a week with shipping time. I got mine done at ADCO firearms. It's in northern Ohio, and I was very satisfied with their work.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
He did say a year or two, which means he could still have another year. :D

I am hoping for 14.5" with pinned FH and 1/7 twist. I have no complaints about the current barrel, though and don't care if it's chrome lined or has the same finish as the current barrel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Barrel modifications are a popular spec change among us here. I had mine shortened, pinned, and re-profiled for about $100 shipped with insurance. It was done in a week with shipping time. I got mine done at ADCO firearms. It's in northern Ohio, and I was very satisfied with their work.
Unfortunately, the "Chop" shop barrel is notthe same as the factory. All the Remington guns that have come to the improvedcarbine program have the gas blocks in the same location and all the op rodlengths are the same. Just like the LEO models. And magnesium lowers. Basicallyall the barrels are the same as the Remington Mil/LE barrels (I like the heavy14.5”). I don’t see these guys stepping up unless they get a contract. And I amsure that if anyone “Reverse Engineers” one, they’ll be sued.
Like I said, no barrels by xmas... it goes on the auctionblock.
Maybe I’ll get an XCR... I know I can get barrels forthat.
Great Rifle... Horrible company.
Unfortunately, the "Chop" shop barrel is not the same as the factory. All the Remington guns that have come to the improved carbine program have the gas blocks in the same location and all the op rod lengths are the same. Just like the LEO models. And magnesium lowers. Basically all the barrels are the same as the Remington Mil/LE barrels (I like the heavy 14.5”). I don’t see these guys stepping up unless they get a contract. And I am sure that if anyone “Reverse Engineers” one, they’ll be sued.
Like I said, no barrels by xmas... it goes on the auction block.
Maybe I’ll get an XCR... I know I can get barrels for that.
Great Rifle... Horrible retail plan.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would say anytime now they would release some barrels. Also, why the hell would you want a chrome lined barrel over the melonite coating?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts