ACR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some interesting things about 10mm as a cartidge. I held a 10mm glock 20, and honestly.... I wasnt so fond about how damn bulky it was. Does anyone have expereince shooting 10mm or have anything they know about it?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
its the same slug as a .40. FBI used to use 10mm semi auto's as their service pistols but they can be a bit unruly. SO, the FBI contracted S&W to make it more controllable. The difference between the two is a shorter casing with less powder. 10mm ammo is expensive and hard to find. .40 isnt. i suggest you look into a .40s&w pistol over a 10mm unless you just really want one for shits and giggles

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I believe. 40 s&w in an m&p 40 is the pistol most leo's pick. Tommy has a point. If you want something unique and different get it.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
sig 229 in .40 is what i carry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I got a g23. I like 40, 10mm is just kind of a unique cartridge I dont know much about.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
10 mm has more recoil than a .40 or a .45 and it looks like a flamethrower everytime you fire it.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Sweet. I want the revolver charles bronson used in deathwish. Looks like that big fifty hunting pistol. Doesn't seem very fun to shoot alot. Im becoming parial to the m9/92 type. My issue one is a p.o.s. and they give me crap ammo. I think it has some potential from what I've seen it used for in competitions. Pretty heavy. It seems like a decent starter pistol for me anyway since im used to the platform and don't care to go all out while im getting used to becoming proficient. To me defending myself with one is one thing but being able to use one and compete is another. When I have he money id want a nice 1911.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
why not get a G21SF OR G36.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 10mm Auto is actually a fine cartridge. It can be loaded to 40S&W or 357 Magnum-level (some would argue slightly better) with 135 to 200 grain bullets. I think some may even load 220-230 grain lead bullets as well. I like the Glock 20, but have fairly big mits. The G20SF is also available, as well as 1911's from Kimber and Dan Wesson, semi-auto's (10XX series) and revolvers (610) from S&W, and the Witness series from EAA (beware). My favorite is my MP5/10. Ammunition isn't common in stores, but can easily be found on the internet. It is more expensive than other calibers, so handloading can be helpful.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Ahhh, the 10mm.

The round has been around for awhile and was originally designed to put the power of the 41 magnum into a semi-auto package. The cartridge in it's original Norma loading, (200grn @ 1300ft/s) was a beast. The 1st semi commercial gun made to shoot it was the now defunct Bren 10. I was fortunate enough to own one that actually worked for awhile. The round was VERY snappy, (like a .357 outta 2 1/2 inch revolver) I then had a Colt delta elite and the full power 10mm round beat the piss outta it. Shortly there after I lost interest in it.

The FBI had it for awhile, and found it was not a good general issue pistol for the entire corp. They had it down loaded and long story short help bring the 40 S&W to market. Moving the 10mm to niche status.

Great idea, bad marketing and initial pistols didn't help it to become popular.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Depends on where you are from. Some places have an abundant supply of 10mm for good prices and no 9mm at all. The .40 is a great round and the 10mm is an excellent round. With a G20, very easy to manage and such a useful range of loads out there. If your hands are small you will not like almost any but the 9mm Glocks which even then some people can't comfortably run. I personally am a huge fan of 10mm and love my G20. Hand loading 10mm will save you hugely. 10mm can take any beast in our country outside brown bears.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Depends on where you are from. Some places have an abundant supply of 10mm for good prices and no 9mm at all. The .40 is a great round and the 10mm is an excellent round. With a G20, very easy to manage and such a useful range of loads out there. If your hands are small you will not like almost any but the 9mm Glocks which even then some people can't comfortably run. I personally am a huge fan of 10mm and love my G20. Hand loading 10mm will save you hugely. 10mm can take any beast in our country outside brown bears.
Yes, the Glock 20 and 10mm are a great combo, especially with the 6 inch barrel Glock was selling for awhile. Shame the Glock came sometime after the introduction of the 10mm. Might have been more popular if the initial pistol was the Glock. (IMHO :) )

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a S&W 1006. I think it was the best 10mm pistol available, especially if you are planning on shooting the original full house 10mm loads.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I love my full size G21C, but you should try an SF. I also do a 10mm longslide conversion but would like to get a G20SF. 10mm is pretty expensive, though, so is mostly a novelty (much like I expect 6.8 to be if/when Bushmaster ever gets around to coming out with the kits).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts