New ACR owner, wanting to trade 18.5" barrel for 1/7 16.5"
Join Today
    Forum Lurker

New ACR owner, wanting to trade 18.5" barrel for 1/7 16.5"

Hey guys,

Not sure where on the forum to put this.

Picked up my brand new ACR DMR last night. I wanted to use a polymer handguard instead of the tri-rail the rifle came with, but the thicker barrel profile of the 18.5" means that the polymer handguard won't fit.

If anyone has a 1/7 twist 16.5" barrel, preferably stock Bushmaster and preferably new, I'd like to trade my 18.5" barrel for it.

I haven't put any rounds through the barrel, and I can toss in a bit of cash or the tri-rail handguard in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
    Hey guys,

Not sure where on the forum to put this.

Picked up my brand new ACR DMR last night. I wanted to use a polymer handguard instead of the tri-rail the rifle came with, but the thicker barrel profile of the 18.5" means that the polymer handguard won't fit.

If anyone has a 1/7 twist 16.5" barrel, preferably stock Bushmaster and preferably new, I'd like to trade my 18.5" barrel for it.

I haven't put any rounds through the barrel, and I can toss in a bit of cash or the tri-rail handguard in the trade.
    ??? What makes you think it won't fit? There's no reason it shouldn't.

Yea the polymer handguards should fit just fine. I have an SPR profile 6.8 ARP barrel on my ACR and haven't had any issues with fit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

The only thing that could be an issue as the barrel wrench itself. It could be the slightly bent version of the handle which means it won’t fold all the way down. Most likely it will work with the basic though.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus494 View Post
    ??? What makes you think it won't fit? There's no reason it shouldn't.
    I tried to put it in and it got to a certain point and it got stuck. Then I saw this post and the two of them together sort of convinced me it just wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog2003_99 View Post
    The only thing that could be an issue as the barrel wrench itself. It could be the slightly bent version of the handle which means it won’t fold all the way down. Most likely it will work with the basic though.
    I think this is actually the problem. The wrench is bent and it's canted slightly to one side, so the bent part of one of the legs is actually scraping against the heatshield inside the handguard.

Is it safe to detach the wrench and try to straighten it out?

Personally I’d detach the wrench and throw it in my range bag. You can try bending one back if you think it would work. I’d just be worried about possibly popping the welds at the bottom of the wrench
    Rest in Peace Franny

Forum Lurker
    Yeah that sounds like a much better idea. Not planning to change the barrel anytime soon anyway so I'm not really losing anything.

It's a #8-32 Torx screw, right? Just want to make sure so I don't end up buying the wrong tool for it.

Forum Lurker
    If still interested, I would trade you my 16.5". it is a 1/9 twist but the barrel has a very low round count and looks brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by kazoo View Post
    Yeah that sounds like a much better idea. Not planning to change the barrel anytime soon anyway so I'm not really losing anything.

It's a #8-32 Torx screw, right? Just want to make sure so I don't end up buying the wrong tool for it.
    I believe so. The older ones were Allen wrenches.
    Rest in Peace Franny