ACR Forum banner

ACR Red Dot Sight Suggestions (2020 edition)

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Clemmer 
#1 ·
I'm just curious to see what sights people are running on their ACRs nowadays. I'm looking at a Sig Sauer Romeo 3 for mine at the moment. It has great reviews, and also it's made in Japan instead China (not hating on China made optics because there are some great ones that are manufactured there, but Japan quality tends to better in general). Plus the design of the Romeo3 with it's Sig QD mount looks futuristic and badass and seems like it will mate perfect with the ACR design.

Post pics!

#2 ·
I have an EOTech/Aimpoint magnifier on mine that has never failed or had problems in 9 years. EOTech is good in my opinion but I’d recommend any Aimpoint but those end up being pricey. You’re paying for the durability, Aimpoint is arguably the strongest/best red dot optics out there. I’d you want to go a cheaper route that gives you quality and a lifetime warranty, check out Vortex. I have a Vortex Sparc on an AR-9 build and I absolutely love it. Zero’ed it once 3 years ago and haven’t had to since. I have a Vortex Viper red dot on a Glock 19 and a Vortex Viper PST Gen II (3-15x) on a 30-06. Never had any problems with any Vortex optic. Quality is amazing and price point is cheap. I love SIG but I’ve never owned a SIG optic and I haven’t heard the greatest reviews about them. Definitely do research and compare a buncha red dots. You can really deep dive optics purchases by making a list of what features you want/need and make a list of potential optics that work for your wants/needs. I’m sure others will weigh in with their personal recommendations too. I can only personally speak to EOTech, Aimpoint and Vortex unfortunately.

#5 ·
My understanding of Sig's electro-optics line is that the design team came from Leupold. I don't own any, and I think most of them have a weird aesthetic, but I have considered the Tango 4 as I think its a good value.

I have done the Aimpoint/Magnifier setup and like it. It gives you a lot of flexibility since you can mount it on a flip mount, there are squat mounts for them now that work if you have a taller red dot mount like has become somewhat popular for NVG use, and there are mounts that let you just remove it altogether and save weight or put a nigh vision optic or something else behind it without re-zeroing. I am a fan of the Aimpoint/mag setup.

My ACR has an Elcan SpecterDR 1/4 on it; it gives kind of similar functionality to an Aimpoint/mag setup but is mostly lighter and less cumbersome. It's about the weight of the Aimpoint/mag so you do save weight cmpared to the Elcan with a removeable mag mount and the mag removed, but there's less glass to look through so its brighter, it has a BDC reticle, and it has an etched reticle so if the battery dies it still works. Depending on which Aimpoint/mag/mounts you buy the Elcan is about the same price or a little cheaper.

#6 ·
Primary arms prism 1x20 in a reptilia mount is my favorite however it has a shorter fov, optics planet sells the opmod hollosun which I like and I just bought another eotech expe3-0 which 0-400 yards is the overall best rdo, I’m actually waiting to try out there new line of magnifiers which are lighter and go to 5x for a 308 build.

#10 · (Edited)
10Industries, yeah, looks really awesome. Few days ago, a friend of mine recommended me to take a look at AGM stuff, especially at thermal sights, like AGM ANACONDA-MICRO TC50, which I found here ( weblink: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-clip-on-systems ). It has refresh rate of 50 Hz, reliable and robust design, and as people say - it's batteries give up to 5 hours of continuous operation.

#11 ·
It has great reviews, and also it's made in Japan instead China (not hating on China made optics because there are some great ones that are manufactured there, but Japan quality tends to better in general)
Holosun really has me re-considering my stance on Chinese optics. The solar panels alone make them desirable, but then also by all accounts they seem to make high-quality products that are on par with Aimpoint and Trijicon. I have yet to dive into pistol optics but if I ever do, a Holosun that stretches battery life by using solar panels would be pretty hard to beat.

#16 ·
I run an Aimpoint Micro T2 on mine now. I have used an EoTech EXPS but I found it too bulky. I used the Vortex Crossfire before but it failed on me twice, fell apart. Vortex did honor their VIP deal and replaced the optic but it no longer sits on my ACR.

I have used Aimpoints in the Army and they are simple and rugged which helped my decision to put one on my ACR. If I were to change to a magnified optic then I'd buy a Trijicon ACOG 3.5x35, they're also very durable. Scopelist.com has pretty decent prices on Aimpoints and Trijicon ACOGs.

These rifles tend to be a little on the heavy side, so I choose light optics. The Sig Romeo 3 is definitely on the lighter side for an optic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.