Second 5.56 Rifle, First ACR
    Forum Lurker

Second 5.56 Rifle, First ACR

Long time gun owner here, mostly AKs in the way of semiauto rifles though I do own a Sig 556. I have wanted an ACR since the Masada was announced when I was in high school, but the initial price made it a no go for me. Then it kind of fell off the radar after a somewhat anti-climactic release and TBH I thought they had stopped making them until they came up in a conversation I was having with a buddy who used to work at Palmetto State Armory. That sort of renewed my interest and it appears they've made some updates since the initial release, to include lowering the price and finally releasing caliber conversions and barrels (though 6.8SPC may have already had its 15 minutes of fame IMHO). Anyway, I'm about to get deployed and with talk of more gun control in the news I went ahead and ordered a 5.56 ACR basic black.

From what I've read here and elsewhere it appears that Bushmaster didn't really roll out certain features like the 1/7 barrels after a certain serial # range, so I am curious to see when it arrives:

1) Whether it has the birdcage flash hider or the AAC. I'd prefer the AAC.
    2) Whether it has the V1 or V2 brass deflector. I think the V2 came out several years ago, but on the Bushmaster site it shows the basic with the V1 deflector.
    3) Whether the 16" barrel has the M4 profile and whether it is 1/9" or 1/7" twist.
    4) It looks like some of the new models either come with the ambi charging handle, or maybe they are just pictured with it on the right side.
    5) Whether it has the metal or plastic safeties.
    6) It is not pictured with sights but I have read of some guys who recently ordered brown ACRs (from Bud's I think) and they came with MBUS backup sights.

If it has the birdcage and M4 profile 1/9" barrel I may order a 14.5" one and just have it pinned and welded. The V2 deflector isn't a big deal, I'll order one if it doesn't come with it. I will probably either order a folding or ambi charging handle for it but won't decide until I get to fondle the rifle, and the safeties aren't a huge deal for me either way.

I have a spare 2MOA Aimpoint Micro H-1 I plan to mount on it in one of the ADM absolute cowitness one piece Aimpoint Micro QD mounts, and plan to put the metal Magpul MBUS pro sights on it. That's about it, I may put a light on it some way but other than that I may just increase my pmag stockpile.

I look forward to learning more about the rifle from you guys. It looks like several of you have stepped up in the absence of initial support from Bushmaster, and it looks like they are rejuvenating their own interest in supporting the rifle. Most everything I've read about it is that they are durable, reliable, and rugged rifles; and most of the detractors complain because its heavier than an AR (which is an exceptionally light rifle so kind of a stupid comparison to a piston gun), didn't launch with the promised caliber conversion kits (which neither did the SCAR, ARX-100, or most other of this generation of rifle-and BM is finally offering them), and doesn't have the aftermarket of the AR (again, stupid because the AR's been on the market for 40+ years longer).

I am also hoping that since Bushmaster now has a .300 Blk ACR listed on their webpage, they will be offering caliber conversions for it (which would really just be a barrel assembly). If they release those I'll get a 14.5" one an have it pinned and welded.

If the rifle you get is a recent one (ie. not been sitting in a warehouse for ages) then it should have the 1/7 twist barrel without the M203 cut. It should also have the AAC flash hider/mount and the v2 brass deflector.

Welcome the forum and enjoy your new rifle!

Welcome!

Unless you buy a used one or one that has been sitting on some gun shop's shelf for years, then you will get a current production ACR. That means the AAC BLACKOUT 51T flash hider, 1/7 twist, thin profile barrel, v2 brass deflector, new dual charging handle assembly, new style safety (both are plastic), and no included sights. Almost every retailer's website, including Bushmaster themselves, display old pictures of the rifle from when it was first released almost ten years ago. If you are getting one of the new SKUs that never had the old features, like any 6.8 SPC or .450 Bushmaster one, the pistol, any barrel length other than 16", or any with the new M-lok or Square Drop handguard, then you don't have to worry about it not having all the latest changes at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus494 View Post
    Welcome!

Unless you buy a used one or one that has been sitting on some gun shop's shelf for years, then you will get a current production ACR. That means the AAC BLACKOUT 51T flash hider, 1/7 twist, thin profile barrel, v2 brass deflector, new dual charging handle assembly, new style safety (both are plastic), and no included sights. Almost every retailer's website, including Bushmaster themselves, display old pictures of the rifle from when it was first released almost ten years ago. If you are getting one of the new SKUs that never had the old features, like any 6.8 SPC or .450 Bushmaster one, the pistol, any barrel length other than 16", or any with the new M-lok or Square Drop handguard, then you don't have to worry about it not having all the latest changes at all.
    I wasn't aware that the safety was just a new style; what are the differences?

It's supposed to be at the FFL tomorrow so I will know for sure on everything else. I plan to mainly shoot 62 grain out of it so realistically 1:9 will be just fine

I believe the safety core is metal now, but the safety levers are still plastic.

The new safety cores are steel. The levers are plastic. I prefer the old safety versus the new plastic lever. Bad levers are about the best upgrade to the safeties imo.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Lurker
    Well it came in to the FFL yesterday so I got answers to all my questions. It has the newer/thinner non-M4 profile 1:7 twist barrel and AAC flash hider, metal core safety, and V2 brass deflector. Came with a decent case, a lock, and a matching non-Bushmaster marked gen 2 Pmag with no dust cover.

Right now I am planning on MBUS Pros for backup irons, and once ADM releases their titanium mounts for the Aimpoint Micro then I'll use one to mount an H-1 I have laying around with an IO cover. I will be installing one of the new BM ambidextrous charging handle assemblies and that will probably be it.

I won't have a chance to shoot it before I deploy so when I get back I'll determine whether I want a new/lighter forend (probably an RPM or Bushmaster M-LOK if I do), maybe a pinned and welded 14.5" assembly, or maybe a caliber conversion if there is one available that I like.

It is nice to see this rifle finally getting the support it should have from Bushmaster to begin with, and I think a lot of that is due to the handful of small aftermarket companies that have released accessories and stuff over the past decade. Hopefully they release magnesium lowers at some point.

For the H-1 mount also take a look at ScalarWorks. Their mounts are very well made and super light.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman04 View Post
    For the H-1 mount also take a look at ScalarWorks. Their mounts are very well made and super light.
    Appreciate the recommendation. That one looks to weigh about the same as the ADM titanium and it looks like ADM has delayed the release of their mount so depending on how long it takes for them to release it I may end up with the ScalarWorks. I do prefer the throw lever though and have had good experiences with ADM's products and CS in the past.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search for related topics.