Sidearm Choices (what do you carry and shoot and what is a range gun only)? - Page 5
Join Today
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Sidearm Choices (what do you carry and shoot and what is a range gun only)?

I'm not so sure the Glock has the same kind of reliability, there are videos on YouTube (Military Arms Channel did one on YouTube) where the Glock failed water/dirt/mud tests that other handguns passed. I think Glock simplicity refers to usability and not ruggedness.
    ShootersElement likes this.

Wise Member
    I might have to call a friendly BS flag on the USP .40 having issues.

I say that because while I am admittedly an M&P fan (owning several of them) my first love has always been HK. I have an HK USP .40 in my collection that has a date code of 98 or 99...I've never had issues with that pistol (save for the occasional ammo issue due to my reloads). It's like a tank and works every time I take it out to shoot and more importantly I can nail 4" circles of steel at 20 yards with somewhat regularity.
    Recently I decided to swap to a match trigger and that made all the more fun to shoot. This was not a "needed" upgrade as I could shoot the USP just fine in its stock configuration, it was more about want.

I guess, everyone's experiences are different as highlighted by your experience vs mine.

As for the glock being this simple tool everyone keeps referring to, it's peaked my interest. I've never really considered the glock simple nor the M&P, HK's I own complex. So when referring to the simplicity are we talking strictly internal components or overall function? From my perspective the M&P is no more complex than the Glock, but like I said I'm a fan so I'm biased.
    Just to clarify, I never said that I had problems. I said that problems had to be addressed by the factory (or authorized Armorer). Meaning that I could not fix the pistol myself. For example, I wanted a different trigger configuration. The pistol had to be shipped back to H&K because there was not an authorized Armorer in my area. As I see it, that's a problem! The Glock is much different. I can do everything on this pistol myself.

SamM

Wise Member
    I've never had a failure in a Glock pistol that wasn't ammo related. And that actually, only happened once in my former Gen 3 G17 IDPA pistol with some bad Remington ammo. I no longer have that pistol. My current Gen 4 has been 100% reliable. I've shot many, many pistols over the years. The Glock has proved more reliable to me than any other design.

I don't typically shoot my pistols covered in mud. I don't get the point of that. I was always trained to keep my weapons clean or they will fail. Training or testing with dirty weapons is subjective. How much dirt is enough dirt, how much is too much. All weapons will fail if you put enough dirt in them. If I drop my weapon into a muholed, it will need to be cleaned to be reliable. This is a pointless endeavor and proves very little.

SamM
    ShootersElement likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Forum Lurker
    My go to gun is the Glock 17 and for a couple different reasons. #1. Its one of the most widely used and proven handguns in the LE world today. #2. Its what my facility carries. As for my personal experience, I was lucky enough to go through a week long certification course with the pistol. During the course we had 7 older generations of the G17 and fired approximately 15K rounds combined through the guns with absolutely no cleaning between range times. I only witnessed one failure and it was a stove pipe which may have been caused by a limp wristed shooter. Considering each gun likely has 15K rounds through it with little maintenance other than a recoil spring, id say they are holding up well.

My personal Carry is the Glock 23 with a +1 mag extension. I just aquired a Gen 4 and sold my older gen which had approximately 5k rounds down the tube, and it still shot like it was brand new out of the box and without issue. Ill occasionally throw my .357 Sig barrel in it for carry to change it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootersElement View Post
    So post some pics of this beauty...
    I have better pics but photobucket appears to be crashing right now. This is after I punted it across the lawn into some mud. I basically try to break it every range trip and it keeps on ticking. The only thing to have made it fail thus far is beach sand, really locked it up good. The recoil spring and guide rod have some surface rust from salt water exposure, but it goes bang every time.

Last edited by Conqueror; 04-06-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    No_mic_marshall likes this.

Glock or break

Forum Lurker
    If I think it may get beat up I take my gen 4 Glock 19 with O.D Frame. If it's just to the range and back then I take my PPQ. I love how the PPQ shoots, but I trust the Glock to stand up to more

Forum Lurker
    Typically my 1972 Hi Standard derringer in 22 mag ... I can wear it anywhere, and wear just about anything from shorts to a suit and I can hit a grapefruit from 10 yards just point & shoot it's in a wallet size holster that I can secure an additional 6 rounds ... In all my years I've only needed to show my ccw 1 time and have never had to draw it ... I hope I never have to.

M&P 40 Performance center with APEX trigger kit & Deltapoint....range / matches only..... I'm still getting used to the hair trigger with little to no reset......
    Derek likes this.

Forum Lurker
    Springfield Armory TRP Operator with Wilson flat trigger, Harrison rear sight, Dawson fiber front, VZ super swoop Recons.
    tattooo likes this.