IWI Tavor Impressions - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: IWI Tavor Impressions

Wise Member
    Thanks, I really like it too!

The recticle is in the field of view all of the time. It can be used without illumination, which is a nice feature. From the Off position on the scope, if you rotate the switch CCW (Forward) only the red dot illuminates. CW (Backwards) and the reticle (minus the dot) illuminates. There are numerous positions of brightness as you turn the switch. I'll try to post a better picture of the switch for you.
    Last edited by SamM; 06-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Oh ok, thanks. I was just curious. I'd like to shoot with one of those one day. I just got a ta33 acog, and I love it. I like the idea of the elcans, I don't like the weight and the price but I think on a light weight AR or something it would be nice.

Wise Member
    That was my thought. The Tavor is somewhat light at 7.3lbs. The ELCAN will open up some longer range shooting options for it. It was on my ACR for awhile and worked well on that rifle. We'll see how it does on the Israeli weaponary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Wise Member

Anddddd I'm not a fan of ANY of those optics pictured above.

Wise Member
    Today, I further modified my Tavor by free-floating the 16.5" barrel. A horseshoe shaped plastic isolator was removed from under the Tavor hand guard. This was fairly easy to do. It appears that this panel was supposed to isolate the barrel from the hand guard. However, if you put pressure on the hand guard, it looks like the barrel was easily deflected in it's mounts. Meaning it would move either left or right, or even up with enough pressure. There is a how-to video on the Bullpup Forum for those that are interested. I won't have the before and after effects of this mod, as I have not shot groups with my rifle yet. We did actually shoot the Tavor a little yesterday, with just bore sighting it the rifle did just fine.

WOW!

The rifle hasn't been out that long and folks are already diving in with the mods, impressive...
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Congrats Sam that is sweet. I know I myself in the past have voiced my resistance to the bull pup design but this one has gotten my interest enough to do some reading, and it's slowly winning me over. Hope your all healed up after your cycle accident.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it". Thomas Jefferson

Wise Member
    Still in the wheelchair for now but they do have me on crutches some. No work for a couple more months probably. They'll be doing at least 2 more surgeries on me. Yes, I did it right!

Thanks! I hope you're doing better!

Edit: oh yeah, and the Tavor is pretty cool!
    Last edited by SamM; 07-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Reported from another thread per SamM's request:
    Okay, long review ahead. I hope it's not too long for everyone.

I recently had the pleasure of meeting up for a range day with SamM. Great guy. It was his 5th day walking as a part of his recovery; he's doing great.

The Tavor is AWESOME! I'm already working to raise funds to get one of my own as it would be perfect for a patrol rifle. The rifle without optics is nice and lightweight, but we shot mostly with his ELCAN and doctor MRDS. It shoulders well once you get used to placing your firing grip forward of the usual position. I was grabbing he mag on the Tavor at first. Later, when I went back to my ARs, I was grabbing the magazine there. Lol. The balance is all to the rear, which makes it a dream for holding a sustained firing position or low ready; target transitions were quick and smooth.

Trigger:
    Sam had the trigger job done with the spring. It felt much heavier than I'm used to with my Geisseles, but it was approximately a manageable 7-8lbs. Not bad. The reset felt good and I didn't experience any kind of fatigue on the trigger.

ELCAN:
    We tried several different optics. Like I said, we mostly used the ELCAN with the Doctor 7.5 MOA MRDS.

After zeroing, I found the ELCAN to have great glass. The 1x was bright and clear with a great field of view. I was surprised to see how easily the non-illuminated BDC reticle was picked up with both eyes open. I liked the quick change on the ELCAN when switching from 1x to 4x. I loved the way that it switched. My knowledge of these optics is limited, but it appears that using the lever, it moves or rotates a lens to change the magnification. It works very well.

The Doctor was okay. Sam and I agreed that the reticle was bigger than would be preferable, but it worked for close ranges. I'm still not a fan of the chin weld needed to use a piggyback MRDS, but I found it to be more manageable on the Tavor due to its balance and recoil impulse. I'm not sure how much the insane muzzle brake that Sam has had to do with that. I'll be using a BattleComp hopefully modified for AAC 51T suppressor mount when I finally get one. Brakes destroy friendships IMHO.

Irons:
    As far as irons go, the integral BUIS on the Tavor are not the best, but as strictly "Oh, shit" backups, they're not terrible and add no weight. The ELCAN also has a set of irons. I didn't realize that they could be set to 12, 10, or 2 o'clock and found that Sam's placement at 2 o'clock was perfect. They were impressively easy to acquire and shoot with. I believe Sam said he has since added a set of LWRC BUIS.

Other optics:
    At the end of the day, we tried on a few different optics. The T1 in combination with a LaRue HK-height mount worked well with the rifle and felt VERY light. I also threw on my Aimpoint CompM4S and found it to already be zeroed from my DDm4v5. That was a nice bonus that let me play around some more. The weight was perfect on the Tavor. It fell between the T1 and the ELCAN. Given the fact that I have one T1 and one CompM4S, and wouldn't dream of shelling out the dough for an ELCAN, I will be using the CompM4S on mine when it gets in The T1 is better suited to the DD given those options for weight and balance reasons.

Ergos:
    I found that the controls and ergos were great once I got used to them. Obviously, it's very different from an M4, but they are pretty intuitive. By the end of the day, I was getting used to them. Mag changes were more hindered by the fact that I'm still getting used to my mag pouches. However, I will say that a high grip on the mag right out of the pouch would make reloads speedier because of the location of the bolt release. I will say that while using the firing thumb to drop the mag, I found that a slight lip present at the crease in the polymer body was causing some irritation. That would be an easy fix, though. Either sand it down smooth or wear gloves. Otherwise, it was great.

One thing that gets to me sometimes when running drills that has become a concern for me in the field is heat from the barrel. Even with rail covers and vertical grips, the heat can sometimes get to me during long drills. Gloves help a lot. However, realistically speaking, I have several different gloves that I use: most have different uses. The ones that I carry as summer frisk gloves would probably not offer much for heat protection, and I realize that I may not always have the opportunity to search for the right gloves. The benefit of the Tavor is that, at least in my limited evaluation, heat wasn't a problem with bare hands. The barrel was smoking, but the handguard being the way that it is, my hands were well shielded.

That handguard is a huge ergonomic benefit for me. It fits my normal support grip position that I would use on a vertical grip: an angled relaxed C-clam grip. Not quite as extreme as a c-clamp grip, it places my thumb pointing forward at 11 o'clock. That support grip is well supported here, though my thumb is more at 9:30 though. Using it in conjunction with the recommended "6-points of contact" make for an extremely stable platform. However, I'll admit that I found acquiring the point of contact with the magazine to be cumbersome.

I was testing it with my soft patrol armor vest and a plate carrier with plates with kangaroo pouches for pistol mags on top of rifle mags. What's nice is that the sides of the rifle are devoid of controls in the rear to accidentally activate when slung. When slung, the rifle hanged in a good position naturally. Because of its length, I didn't feel that I was in danger of dragging my muzzle even when kneeling.

Other Notations:
    I didn't realize that M2 PMAGs didn't drop free from the Tavor. I have there Gen 3 PMAGs and will be purchasing only Gen 3s from now on for that reason. The M2 seemed to work fine. There were no feed issues, but they didn't drop free and I'd prefer that for my primary mags.

Also, I'm not sure if he covered it before in this thread, but Sam said that he removed a polymer piece that contacted the barrel from the front mouth of the handguard in order to free-float it. I didn't see any issues or negative effects that would cause on the rifle's functionality and seems like a logical modification.

Conclusion:
    All in all, I was vastly impressed with this weapon system. I was not someone who considered bullpups a viable option for myself, but this rifle, with some practice, will be hard to beat. The length and ergos make it well suited for my patrol use, and I hope to see it in my trunk in the next year or so.

Here's a little video.
    http://youtu.be/bvJNqLvXeqo

Thanks, Sam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Proud Member of Team A.P.W.R.

West Virginia Law Enforcement Officer
    "That's all the bullets we had." -- Polk County, Florida Sheriff, Grady Judd responding to a reporter's question of why his deputies shot a cop killer 68 times.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast