Robinson Armament XCR to the rescue?
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Robinson Armament XCR to the rescue?

With the ACR's future in doubt it seems those wanting modular rifles are now left with two options. The SIG MCX and the Robinson XCR. The FN SCAR is still around but it doesn't seem to have much available as far as modular components.

The MCX is a fairly refined product now with the Virtus. These guns seem to be fairly popular and SIG is offering some various accessories. Different stocks, handguard options and barrels in 300 AAC Blackout as well as 5.56. I assume we'll see 6mm ARC barrels fairly soon since that cartridge was supposedly done for a DoD contract.

Despite the good things about the MCX it is more or less an AR15. Or is it? The method of operation is piston and there's no buffer tube. But the upper works on legacy AR lowers and the charging handle and other controls are AR based.

So this leaves the Robinson XCR as the only other modular rifle that I am aware of. It was created as part of the SCAR program and was submitted for testing but was suposedly rejected because RobArm did not ship a blank firing adapter with the gun. Anyway, the design has been around awhile, appears to have good factory support, is reportedly accurate and reliable by those who own them and is available in both 223 and 308 frame formats. Robinson appears to sell barrel assembly parts such as gas blocks and barrel extensions so people like Dana and Marvin should be able to offer caliber or barrel configurations that aren't available otherwise.

Really the only bad thing I've ever heard about the XCR is about the owner of the company. It seems like he is pretty abrupt at times and doesn't seem very receptive to customer feedback especially when the feedback is negative.

So what does the ACR crowd think of the XCR? Are we so beholden to the Bushmaster product that nothing else will ever do or will we start looking to the XCR now as a choice for a modern modular rifle that's not entirely AR based?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I’m not against em and I don’t think anyone here is. I had a buddy with one back in 2011 when I first got my ACR and it operates very similar to the ACR like ya said. I thought long and hard about dropping my ACR for that SIG Virtus but decided to keep what I have. Your question about “being so beholden to Bushmaster” is slightly odd because we can’t use XCR parts on ACR so it’s not really “to the rescue”; more it’s another platform people can buy into if they want. Along those same lines, if ya want people to jump ship to the XCR, that’s fine too but you’re gonna need to make an XCR Forum. We can’t change this one haha.

Forum Lurker
    Agreed on the MCX; the recoil system is contained in the upper and it uses a piston, but it is essentially a piston AR that can fire with a stock folded. It does not improve upon the ergonomics of the AR; it has the same abysmal charging handle, the BHO/release has been improved upon with designs like the ACR, and the forward assist that it separate from the charging handle and ejection port cover are unnecessary added parts.

I like the XCR, unlike the super cool M96, Robarm actually stuck with this one and has continued to develop and improve upon it to make it stronger and keep up with the times and newer attachment methods for accessories. It is a bit pricey, but the ability to order from a variety of barrel weights and lengths with a 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9 twist, choice of calibers, gas blocks, stocks, etc... make it probably the most modular choice out there, and IIRC Robarm will sell you conversion parts if you want to convert your existing rifle to another caliber. Awesome that it comes in ODG too.

The only real fault I can find with it is that the handguards can't be changed out since they are integral to the upper receiver, but now that they offer it with M-lok its really not a big deal

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
    Agreed on the MCX; the recoil system is contained in the upper and it uses a piston, but it is essentially a piston AR that can fire with a stock folded. It does not improve upon the ergonomics of the AR; it has the same abysmal charging handle, the BHO/release has been improved upon with designs like the ACR, and the forward assist that it separate from the charging handle and ejection port cover are unnecessary added parts.

I like the XCR, unlike the super cool M96, Robarm actually stuck with this one and has continued to develop and improve upon it to make it stronger and keep up with the times and newer attachment methods for accessories. It is a bit pricey, but the ability to order from a variety of barrel weights and lengths with a 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9 twist, choice of calibers, gas blocks, stocks, etc... make it probably the most modular choice out there, and IIRC Robarm will sell you conversion parts if you want to convert your existing rifle to another caliber. Awesome that it comes in ODG too.

The only real fault I can find with it is that the handguards can't be changed out since they are integral to the upper receiver, but now that they offer it with M-lok its really not a big deal
    In use I find the MCX charging handle adequate. It is ambidextrous and to the rear so it is more or less out of the way. This is one of my (I have several) complaints with the ACR. The forward charging handle is cool and all but it can cause issues when adding pressure switches for lights or forward mounted sling points, etc. The XCR is more FAL inspired with the charging handle on the mid point of the receiver. That means it'll probably dig into the shooter if he slings the rifle tight across the body for climbing, running, etc. Plus it isn't ambidextrous. There are ways for a lefty to work with it but none are probably super convenient.

As you note; the XCR upper is monolithic and the handguard can't be changed. But RA does sell new uppers so that's always an option. Albeit a pricey one.

Forum Lurker
    never heard of this XCR platform until now, I like it! a bunch or proprietary stuff about it, but most I could move past

Quote Originally Posted by chrismshanks View Post
    never heard of this XCR platform until now, I like it! a bunch or proprietary stuff about it, but most I could move past
    Interesting. The gun has been around quite awhile. RA appears to need better advertising.

Here's some recent info:

https://youtu.be/_Gc4plSWWnE

I've owned a couple XCR's and I would'nt trade them for my ACR's or the SCAR's I used to own or buy them over the MCX or most other AR like platforms. If the SCAR 17 was'nt so f'n expensive for no reason I would say thats the second best to the ACR, especially with the 3rd party support now.

With the XCR there is this feeling that you are using a low res made up gun from and old call of duty game and I don't understand why they don't take continual development more seriously - even the recently released MDR is on version 2 and they made all the changes they needed to make, same as the Tavor over a relatively short time. It's seems they embrace it instead - look at there homepage image right now https://robinsonarmament.com/ - neon green accents and keymod - lol wtf why

The XCR rifle didnt fail the trials - they were always rigged - COLT/FN was supplying M4's at 574.00 each - all of the competitors were 25-100% more and FN placed massive pressure to keep the status quo and given the slim margins and low contract valuation of rifles - there is not enough room for corruption - or "meat on the bone" as the saying goes.

Good thing too, the trials stipulated that none of the submissions pass or fail were to ever be offered to civilians for at least 10 years or eternity, unclear - and I think other countries - which is one reason Remington, not Bushmaster handled it.

Probably the BRN-180 and like will be the next hotboi option - cheap, proven, ar15 modular, folding and any caliber you can buy an ar15 in compatible.
    Last edited by 10Industries; 06-20-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Industries View Post
    I've owned a couple XCR's and I would'nt trade them for my ACR's or the SCAR's I used to own or buy them over the MCX or most other AR like platforms. If the SCAR 17 was'nt so f'n expensive for no reason I would say thats the second best to the ACR, especially with the 3rd party support now.

With the XCR there is this feeling that you are using a low res made up gun from and old call of duty game and I don't understand why they don't take continual development more seriously - even the recently released MDR is on version 2 and they made all the changes they needed to make, same as the Tavor over a relatively short time.

The XCR rifle didnt fail the trials - they were always rigged - COLT/FN was supplying M4's at 574.00 each - all of the competitors were 25-100% more and FN placed massive pressure to keep the status quo and given the slim margins and low contract valuation of rifles - there is not enough room for corruption - or "meat on the bone" as the saying goes.
    The MCX seems more refined. No big exposed bolt that holds the barrel on. It also seems to be what DEVGRU or whoever wanted as far as modular goes. The ability to change around some parts but not have to learn a new bolt release or a new charging handle location. I can understand some of that.

The MCX conversion kit that consists of a new upper and a plug for the receiver extension makes a ton of sense for those fortunate enough to own a full-auto M16 or a registered SBR. Or otherwise heavily invested in an AR lower such as those living in ban states.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    In use I find the MCX charging handle adequate. It is ambidextrous and to the rear so it is more or less out of the way. This is one of my (I have several) complaints with the ACR. The forward charging handle is cool and all but it can cause issues when adding pressure switches for lights or forward mounted sling points, etc. The XCR is more FAL inspired with the charging handle on the mid point of the receiver. That means it'll probably dig into the shooter if he slings the rifle tight across the body for climbing, running, etc. Plus it isn't ambidextrous. There are ways for a lefty to work with it but none are probably super convenient.

As you note; the XCR upper is monolithic and the handguard can't be changed. But RA does sell new uppers so that's always an option. Albeit a pricey one.

A strong side handle is somewhat like operating a bolt action rifle so I don't find it awkward, and once you release it from the rearward position then by the time it is in battery then your hand is already back on the pistol grip. Or you can reach under/over to use it. Same thing with the weak side only its on the same side as the arm you change magazines with; either way with rifles like the ACR and XCR the bolt release is operated with the strong side hand. I believe there have been folding CH's made for the XCR as well, sort of like L1A1 FALs had, to solve the issue of it digging into you-or more likely your gear.

I read somewhere that the AR has the best charging handle for when you don't need to use it, and the worst one for when you do; I'd have to say I agree with that. It does solve the issue of interference with forward mounted accessories, though I prefer to just mount lights where I can hit the tailcap and avoid running wires. There are other switch options like what the MAWL has where you just need to mount it far enough ahead of the charging handle that it won't interfere, or get a one sided CH. Cool thing about the ACR is that the CH levers are interchangeable so there are a lot of options between one and two sided and folders.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Industries View Post

With the XCR there is this feeling that you are using a low res made up gun from and old call of duty game and I don't understand why they don't take continual development more seriously - even the recently released MDR is on version 2 and they made all the changes they needed to make, same as the Tavor over a relatively short time. It's seems they embrace it instead - look at there homepage image right now https://robinsonarmament.com/ - neon green accents and keymod - lol wtf why

Good thing too, the trials stipulated that none of the submissions pass or fail were to ever be offered to civilians for at least 10 years or eternity, unclear - and I think other countries - which is one reason Remington, not Bushmaster handled it.

Probably the BRN-180 and like will be the next hotboi option - cheap, proven, ar15 modular, folding and any caliber you can buy an ar15 in compatible.
    I don't understand your point with the bolded part. It reads like you're saying the rifle hasn't been updated because their webpage is subpar.

-They offer it in .224 Valkyrie, .300blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, 5.56, 7.62x39, 6.5 Creedmoor, and they have a pistol caliber one; so it seems that they are keeping up with the latest popular calibers that people have been wanting in modern semiautos.

-When it came out it had picatinny rails, then they came out with a keymod upper. Now they have M-lok uppers; seems they're keeping up there.

-Barrel twist options that fit the trend towards heavier bullets.

-Barrel weight options that go with the trend towards lighter barrels, shorter barrels, pinned and welded barrels, SBRs, and braced pistols.

-I think one of the gas blocks is a 5 position and the other is an 8 position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

pof rogue for sale

Click on a term to search for related topics.