Anyone a minimalist or barefoot runner?
Join Today
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone a minimalist or barefoot runner?

VB

Anyone a minimalist or barefoot runner?

I was never much of a runner. I actually dislike it. When I first joined the Guard I had back an knee pains all the first year from all the damn running

I took up bare foot running based upon feedback from a guy in my unit who says most people get knee and back problems from bad form, pronation and supronation. He says barefoot running solves this because your body naturally knows how to strike the ground when barefoot so you don't roll and don't heel strike.

Well he was right. I started doing 1 mile runs barefoot at a track and it felt great. It was so much better and more comfortable on my body. I eventually got some minimalist running shoes, and it took some time off my PT test runs and felt so much better.

Anyone else doing barefoot or minimalist shoe runs?

My shoes are the Merrill Trail Gloves and New Balance Minimus. One is a 0mm drop and other is 4mm. I prefer 4mm because it requires less Achilles tendon flex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My friend was actually a running coach and told me all sorts of crazy stuff about technique and how your foot is supposed to impact the ground. Picking the right shoes should be chosen in correlation to the level of the runner. A $100 pair of shoes wont make a new runner any better because they're meant for someone whose muscles have developed and their style honed to the proper way to run. Pretty much you want to be landing on your heel rolling on the outside of your foot and pushing off with the ball of your foot is what he told me is if im remembering it right. On another note if you and your boys are going to the strip club and one of them are wearing denim shorts and those barefoot shoes. Its prolly a good thing you got a flat tire on the way......when the donut was already on the car

Forum Lurker
    I have the minimus which i like but i limit my use of them because I just started using them...one of my buddies got tendentious from over use running in formation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

I know a few guys that used the vibram 5 finger/toe shoes for light running/work outs. I would do it, but i need ankle support. Mine are completely destroyed. So i run in lightweight aesics

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team A.P.W.R. - Tactics and Training Chief

I'm an idealist, with an assault rifle

those look really comfy in a weird sort of way, i'd try them. that being said i also hate running for some reason.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VB
    Quote Originally Posted by acrwill View Post
    I have the minimus which i like but i limit my use of them because I just started using them...one of my buddies got tendentious from over use running in formation.
    Go very slow. Start with 1/4 miles and work your way up. Walk in them often too. I did a PT test in 0mm drop shoes only after owning them for a couple of weeks and it felt like my calves and tendons were going to explode.

The muscles in the foot of most men are terribly under developed.

And as an FYI when running, heel striking is BAD! You want a mid strike or forestrike.

Thanks for clarification vb. I cant really explain how my buddy was coaching me. Its more or less rolling your foot. Its hard to explain in type . I got this obnoxious blue and orange pair of asics for $60 and they are real nice to run in. I used to be able to run pretty well but my knees have gone downhill so till I get a better train up I can stick with these. But the minimalist is supposed to be for how the body is supposed to run naturally?

VB
    Quote Originally Posted by oif0709 View Post
    Thanks for clarification vb. I cant really explain how my buddy was coaching me. Its more or less rolling your foot. Its hard to explain in type . I got this obnoxious blue and orange pair of asics for $60 and they are real nice to run in. I used to be able to run pretty well but my knees have gone downhill so till I get a better train up I can stick with these. But the minimalist is supposed to be for how the body is supposed to run naturally?
    For sure you don't want to heel strike. If you watch little kids run barefoot, they always run naturally. Upright, and never heel striking because kids know this = pain. This is why my knees were getting killed in formation runs. Running in typical running shoes trains you to run bad because you feel "protected".

Minimalist shoes take the cushion out the sole, so it's tough to heel strike without hurting fast, so your body naturally pushes you to mid strike. It strengthens the foot and calf muscles and adds flexibility to the tendons because it makes them work.

Think of this way, when you heel strike on a run, you are actually almost bringing your body to a full stop, and all that momentum energy is transferred to the knees and ankles. When you mid strike or forestrike, you maintain the momentum energy going forward so you run better and shock the joints less.

VB- my experience was pretty much the same as yours... never liked running, could never do it without knee pain, etc.

Got some 5 fingers 2 years ago, messed around with it... got some Merrell Trail Gloves last year and messed some more. Then, finally committed to it this year- the whole "very short runs, with lots of rest to build up the muscles/get used to it" thing.

I went from only running a few miles once a week or so to running 4-6 miles per day with no pain at all. (It took 4 months to work up to this)

Having been through the REALLY minimal shoes, I've found the perfect shoes for me- the Brooks "Pure" line.
    4mm drop, and enough cushion that you don't feel every pebble:

For road: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12067244&cp=3712723.11573702
    or: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...12723.11573702
    For trails: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...12723.11573702

I've also found that your calves will get used a lot more, and wearing compression sleeves during or after the runs helps TREMENDOUSLY.
    Something like these: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4129099&lmdn=Category

Resources:
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en/BarefootConnection
    Graphic design and branding.

Current stuff:

Some of my clients include, or have included, AAC, Remington Defense, Daniel Defense, TrackingPoint, Barnes, Military Times, Ambush Firearms, Noveske, Blue Force Gear, Unity, Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Leupold, Sig, the NRA-ILA, etc.

are you saying run on your tip toes for better muscle development?
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast