Anyone a minimalist or barefoot runner? - Page 5
Join Today
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone a minimalist or barefoot runner?

Quote Originally Posted by theSaint View Post
    What kind of weekly run mileage?
    I dont do alot of running right now mostly just alot of walking and trail, I probably do 8-10 miles a day in between work and the gym.

Moved on to the merell trail glove 4's which are better for awhile then the soles wear uneven, I'm trying the 5's right now. I am going to push them really hard next Friday so I'll see.

I ran cross country in Highschool and track as well (the 1 and 2 mile races). I was never good though. Best mile time was 5:02 and best 5K was 17:58. I switched to minimalist running over a period of 6-8 months back in 2010-2011 (vibrams 5 fingers). I was a much better runner post switch. My knee pain went away, which primarily kept me from longer runs. Running minimalist over the next two years, I trained for and completed the Marine Corps Marathon (3:26), and Rosaryville 50K just 13 days later (4:02). I still prefer vibrams, although my preferred “low profile” shoe are the New Balance minimus.

Forum Lurker
    Im seeing a lot of "I used to..."
    Whats the current status of minimalist runners? Last marathon i was at i noticed only a handful of minimalist, out of thousands of runners.
    Whats your current age, weekly mileage and running history.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

People running a marathon typically are looking for there best time, some of the taller or spring heel type shoes promote speed and are cushioned while barefoot shoes promote daily use. We arent designed to run a marathon, that's why the first one to do it died.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Industries View Post
    We arent designed to run a marathon, .
    Going to have to strongly disagree with that statement.

I watch the whole minimalist movement come and go, listen to people say how we are not meant to be in shoes.
    Evolution and pavement say different. lol

My 2019 stats, 44 years old, male, 1900 miles ran(gps logged) been running since 2011.

Even if you train everyday for 6 months to run a marathon your body will still liquefy muscle to keep you alive during the race. If we were built to run a marathon we could do it with bare feet and no water - for every 1 person that trains themselves to do that 100 would die from dehydration, or cramp up or lose consciousness. We arent meant to be in shoes but we've manufactured artificial terrain and ask our bodies to maintain an abnormal pace - I usually do more to warm up on miles than my ancestors would have done all day with hunting included. As someone who has run for 35 years 5k, 10k, cross country in high school and 2-3 miles everyday I still dont think what I do is normal, let alone think I could or should go 10x on it, though I had to do 13 miles barefoot once which was enough to be sure for me. I don't follow the trends but I have a stand up desk and all my shoes have flat soles because I have seen the actual benefits in endurance and injury prevention.
    Last edited by 10Industries; 02-16-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Lurker
    Minimalist shoes changed my life, no more aches/pains/injuries from running which allowed me to level-up my fitness regiment to a previously thought impossible degree.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345