ACR Forum banner

6.8 mm Remington SPC

91K views 188 replies 66 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any details on the 6.8 version? I assume Magpul will release a 6.8 PMAG around the same time, no? Reading other forums, the Barrett mag is apparently the 6.8 AR gold standard now, but not all rifles love it. The XCR for instance, apparently won't feed a fully-loaded Barrett but will feed a fully-loaded C-Mag. Any thoughts?

Kirk

#61 ·
9/6/2011 12:01 CST...Just got off the phone with "Chris" at BM and he informed me that the 6.8 has already gone into production but they won't be available for purchase until close to Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Uxi
#62 ·
what about 762x39?

#63 ·
awesome. I will get 6.8. Wonder what lengths... or if it will just be standard 16"? Wonder if there's a plan for alternate 5.56... such as 14.5" 1/7 with pinned AAC-51T and gas system

#65 ·
#70 ·
I had this dream of getting the 6.8 and using it exclusively for duty and doing practice with 5.56/.223

#72 ·
I work county. A lot of wide open spaces. I didn't want to go .308 because that's just way too much for inside a trailer. Over penetration nightmare. But a 6.8 always sounded to me like a nice compromise.

#73 ·
6.8 is the perfect AR round. I just wish that some major .mil or LE group would pick it up so the ammo can start to become affordable. Until then it will remain fringe (read: expensive). I wish I could justify getting the kit, because it just oozes awesome sauce, but I don't see where I can since all my ARs and PLR are 5.56. Any word on price?

#76 ·
the boys at mag pul say the internal space needed for 6.8 just does not exist in a p mag the wall thickness needed for the polymer to remain strong takesit all up......

#77 · (Edited)
I'd like to see a heavier 20" 6.8SPC barrel become available for the Bushmaster ACR. I could swap to the fixed stock and a long range optic and shoot moderately long distances, maybe 500 to 700 yards. It could also be used for deer. The Russian 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 conversion kits are also something that I am very interested in. My AKs are gone, traded or sold off to finance my ACR and it's extras. My wishlist would include 14.5" barrels in 5.56 NATO, 5.45X39, 7.62X39 and 6.8SPC. Then, the heavier 6.8SPC barrel. Maybe a 14.5" barrel in .300 Blackout to finish it off.

I'll always have an extra M4 just because I really like them. Everything else goes! The modular ACR is all I need. The AR and AK rifles are not as user friendly as the ACR is. It's the 21st Century afterall. I don't really want a modern rifle that was developed way back in the 1950's or 60's.

SamM

#79 ·
I'd like to see a heavier 20" 6.8SPC barrel become available for the ACR. I could swap to the fixed stock and a long range optic a shoot moderately long distances, maybe 500 to 700 yards. It could also be used for deer. The Russian 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 conversion kits are also something that I am very interested in. My AKs are gone traded or sold off to finance my ACR and it's extras. My wishlist would include 14.5" barrels in 5.56 NATO, 5.45X39, 7.62X39 and 6.8SPC. Then, the heavier 6.8SPC barrel. Maybe a 14.5" barrel in .300 Blackout to finish it off.
Yeah, good idea. my wish list:
14.5" 1/7 5.56 Go To
20" 1/7 5.56 DMR/hunting
18" 1/12 6.8 kickass

and I'd probably keep my 16" 1/9 x 5.56 as benchmark point of reference. 4 barrels, 2 foregrips (basic polymer and metal bigdog), and 3 stocks (basic, enhanced, PRS) along with 3 optics on QD mounts for the true modular beast all dialed in is when I would be "done" tinkering with the ACR. So I have a ways to go.

#80 ·
Yeah, good idea. my wish list:
14.5" 1/7 5.56 Go To
20" 1/7 5.56 DMR/hunting
18" 1/12 6.8 kickass

and I'd probably keep my 16" 1/9 x 5.56 as benchmark point of reference. 4 barrels, 2 foregrips (basic polymer and metal bigdog), and 3 stocks (basic, enhanced, PRS) along with 3 optics on QD mounts for the true modular beast all dialed in is when I would be "done" tinkering with the ACR. So I have a ways to go.
Uxi,
Exactly! My thoughts were along the lines of Worse Case Scenario. As many of my thoughts on tactical rifles are. My thinking was, if I had conversion barrels, what would I want? Well, I'd want to be able to use whatever ammo that I happened to come across. Whether it was NATO 5.56 or Russian 5.45 and 7.62. Of course that's also what I shoot. I'm not sure if I'd really want to pound the 1000 rds of steel case 5.45 that I have through my ACR, if I didn't have to. But in a WCS I'd do it. I also want short barrels, so the nod goes to ADCO to modify my current stock barrel to 14.5". Those extra barrels and a conversion bolt would easily fit into a bugout pack. Hopefully, Magpul can design new magazines that will let us keep our stock 5.56 lower. If not, I have 7.62X39 Bulgarian waffle mags and Bulgarian 5.45 mags ready to go with an ACR Russian lower kit. Come on Bushmaster we need this stuff.

Imagine how great it would be to convert the ACR into a long range tactical rifle with a 6.8SPC barrel swap, a bolt and a magazine change. Remove the Magpul iron (plastic) sights, attach your favorite long-range optic and there you go. My next purchases will be an ACR Basic fixed stock and the Enhanced handguard. My new Viking Tactics Upgraded sling and swivels arrived today. Once my barrel comes back from ADCO, I hope to finally do some shooting and put the rifle through some testing. I can't imagine much else that I want to do to it. Maybe a lighter optic like the Vortex Strikefire or Sparc to replace the Viper PST that's currently on it. Magpul Gen 2 sights and a new trigger. It doesn't need much.

SamM

#81 ·
SamM,
I did what you are asking but with a 6.5 Grendel and no lower change. The post is a sticky at the top of this subcatagory we are in. I made it to 1000 yds with the 6.5. I am working on making a 6.5 bolt available to anybody who wants one but making a drawing by hand is a pita.

Mike

#82 ·
SamM,I did what you are asking but with a 6.5 Grendel and no lower change. The post is a sticky at the top of this subcatagory we are in. I made it to 1000 yds with the 6.5. I am working on making a 6.5 bolt available to anybody who wants one but making a drawing by hand is a pita. Mike
Woohoo! Won't the bolts also work with 7.62x39 if the right barrel was fitted?

#85 ·
does anybody know of a really good machinist who would be willing to open up my extra 5.56 bolt face to 6.8 specs?

#89 ·
I just read a pretty lengthy article on the acr in surefires combat tactics magazine. It said should be available by the time I read it. Though the magazine is to be displayed until january. It did acknowledge the other barrels are to be released. So at least there's other materials out there whose authors are researching the topic.

#92 ·
If I did not have so much money into my ACR project, I would consider dumping it just because of the fact that Bushmaster is not a good company anymore and I don't like showing their name on my stuff. All I hear for the most part is past customer service and not holding up on their word. And personal experience, TERRIBLE customer service and they just straight up ignore me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.