ACR Forum banner

6.8 mm Remington SPC

91K views 188 replies 66 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any details on the 6.8 version? I assume Magpul will release a 6.8 PMAG around the same time, no? Reading other forums, the Barrett mag is apparently the 6.8 AR gold standard now, but not all rifles love it. The XCR for instance, apparently won't feed a fully-loaded Barrett but will feed a fully-loaded C-Mag. Any thoughts?

Kirk

#30 ·
I dabbled in the 6.8 stuff for a little bit with AR's. With a 16" barrel, Hornady ammo, and an NSN model ACOG it would ring the 500yd steel at our range with a 12 o'clock hold on the plate (as related to the 500 tick mark on the reticle). 1-300yds it was pretty much POA/POI. That tells me the trajectories are similar enough that the BDC designed for a 5.56 out of a 14.5" barrel would track that closely to a 6.8 out of a 16" barrel.

As for case/powder capacity it seems this is what really holds the 6.8 back. You can play a little with that by using lighter bullets in the 85-100gr range to regain some velocity if you really needed it but most basic loads work just fine as-is.

Truthfully, I got out of 6.8 because just punching paper and plinking it was too expensive to justify shooting it much. It's a neat little cartridge and very capable but 5.56 is still just too economical to beat, even reloading it. Inside of the carbine's zone of 300m the 5.56 is still very effective. Even in hunting, the chance to make 4-500yd shot isn't common, and if it is, you owe it to the critter to make sure you've got something that'll carry. Capable the 6.8 may be it wouldn't be my first choice for that.

#32 ·
6.8 Available in 2011

I just emailed Bushmaster and asked whether ACR was going to offer an option to delete the right-side safety and when other calibers would be available; I got this response.

I am not aware of any plans to change the safety lever. The 6.8SPC will be available later this year and other calibers and barrels should be available in 2012.
Thank you for contacting Bushmaster

I gleaned two important details from this response: First, Bushmaster/Remington IS planning to support the platform, and Second, they respond to emailed question very quickly (one day).

I love the ACR platform--I can't wait for a .308!

#33 ·
Sounds great! But I wouldn't hold out hope for a .308 in a caliber conversion. That would require a new rifle--prototype name: Massoud. If that's what you meant, I'm with you.

#34 ·
C'mon, let's go 6.8

#35 ·
i only want one thing from BM,762x39mm dont care what they do after that......and some dam replacement parts!!!!

#39 ·
i dont want an AK 47,and its out of date ergos,great rifle,but i want an ACR in.30R.

#40 ·
Yeah, AK are pretty crude. The main appeal is the cheap ammo but everything is primitive compared to AR much less ACR

#41 ·
Yeah, AK are pretty crude. The main appeal is the cheap ammo but everything is primitive compared to AR much less ACR

Yes,and i think the M16/4 day has come also,there are alot better designs out there,ACR,SCAR,XCR ect.lets move on and foward.always hated the posistion of the charging handle,fwrd assist,wasnt ambi ect.glad the ACR came out,now everyones gonna copy it,lol.

#43 ·
another name for 762x39mm.30 cal(308)Russian.

#45 ·
yes ive read alot of .300 blk out.im not to interested in it tho.maybe if its massed produced,and its not cheap.im satisfied with 762x39 its a good round for what i want.close to mid range.i really like 6.8 but once again ammo is far from cheap.......i see a dillion in my crystal ball!lol

#51 ·
Additional barrels

I would rather have an ACR shooting the 7.62X39 than an AK. Just that I don't appreciate some of the jerks that show up to my local range with AK's. My range started to refuse shooters because of the behavior problems of the jerks. I want the 6.8mm and my 5.56mm in a 1:7 twist. I like the heavier bullets. Since I shoot those throug my AR. Just saw an interesting caliber of .300 Whisper. Subsonic silence "sweet". Now if may state would get some common since and allow supressors.

#52 ·
6.8 case options

I found this pic while surfing around for 6.8 info awhile back. I'm really excited about getting a 6.8 conversion for the ACR so I can do up a custom conversion with that little guy on the far left. 6mm/.243 has about as many bullet options as 223 does, even including a couple FMJ rounds (80gr Hornady and 90gr Sierra).

I had a 6.8 AR I built awhile back but have since sold off and looked into doing this in an XCR as well. The 6.8 is a great round but it was just a little too pricey for my tastes. I know I'm going to dabble back into the exotic caliber with this one but there are some other folks out there making this cal in AR barrels as well as reloading dies. White Oak Armament for one.

#55 ·
Yep.

And yes, it'll be a little expensive to get into and maintain but I figure I could probably recoup a little bit of the investment by selling off the stripped 6.8 barrel. Realistically all I need is the bolt and the gas system but it would be easier to see what size gas port they are using for the 6.8 to get a starting point. It won't be a cal to shoot thousands of rounds every few months but something fun to tinker with I think.

#54 ·
The 6.8 case would be great for some wildcatting, but like you mentioned, just too expensive to play with. I have been wanting to add a 6.8 to my XCR, but everytime I look at ammo prices, I cringe and put the credit card away...... (As you know, I cant just shoot a box and walk away ;) )

#56 ·
Ah I hadn't considered gas port size. If I were to get a different barrel in 6.8 for my ar I do believe there's tunable gas blocks. It does seem expensive to get into anyway. Im guessing they average 33 grains of powder? Just a guess. I want something different.

#57 ·
What you might consider that would be a little cheaper is 6x45. All you have to do is run a 223 case through the die and it bumps it up to 6mm. Same bolt of course, same mags, and 6x45 is fairly low pressure so it doesn't beat your brass up. You can't shoot heavy 243 slugs but it lets you "up gun" a little cheaper than a whole new cal. Oh yeah, it also held some benchrest records back in the day too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.