ACR Forum banner

6.8 mm Remington SPC

91K views 188 replies 66 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any details on the 6.8 version? I assume Magpul will release a 6.8 PMAG around the same time, no? Reading other forums, the Barrett mag is apparently the 6.8 AR gold standard now, but not all rifles love it. The XCR for instance, apparently won't feed a fully-loaded Barrett but will feed a fully-loaded C-Mag. Any thoughts?

Kirk

#3 ·
Re: 6.8 magazines

I was over at the local gun shop today. They had an ACR and a 6.8 XCR, so I got to play around with both.
I mentioned this discussion to the guys and we compared a 5.56 PMag with the 6.8 mags for the XCR. While there appeared some slight size differences on certain parts, the overall size was comparable. So he said, "Let's see if it feeds." He stuck about six to eight rounds of 6.8 SPC in the 5.56 PMag, put it in the XCR, and cycled each of them through without a problem. The real test would be at the range. It seemed to work fine, the only con being obviously a lower capacity, although we didn't test that.

Kirk

#4 ·

Given the fact the lowers can be swapped out without going through dealers I'd bet Magpul could mold a lower with a slightly enlarged magwell to accept a beefed up, 6.8 specific PMag. That's the simplest solution in my mind and such a mod would open doors to other larger calibers down the road such as 6.5 maybe.

#5 ·

6.8 and 6.5 and 7.62x39 can all fit inside STANAG (5.56) magazines with a different follower. This is currently being done with the XCR and you can buy the mags right now from C-Products. They fit normal AR type lowers. 6.8, 6.5, & x39 generally all have the same overall length. At least close enough to fit inside a normal 5.56 magazine. Magpul would be very smart to start making pmags that support these other calibers. They would essentially corner the magazine market.

#6 ·

The ribs on the 6.8 and 6.5 mags are different depths compared to the USGI 5.56 mags. Those ribs help guide the follower but also are sized to the bullet up front.

Magpul has stated that they can not make a 6.8 PMag to STANAG dimensions because the polymer would be too thin to be durable. That's why I mentioned above about them molding a new lower to take an appropriately sized 6.8 PMag. In terms of marketing/sales it'd be a good move for them because it would mean that if you wanted to shoot that round you would need their mags. I don't know that they would do it, but, given the following the PMag has it wouldn't be good biz if they didn't try to push a product in that direction since it is their rifle after all.

#9 ·

[quote author=matt2636 link=topic=116.msg733#msg733 date=1283713721]
the 6.8 will fit in a pmag. so do 7.62x39 but it was kinda stiff. i dont know how well it would function.
[/quote]

The problem is that the polymer mag will expand too large to function in a magwell. 5 to 7 rounds are the most that I have been able to use in a Pmag reliably.

#12 · (Edited)
i've written and called...my question is why hasn't anyone else gotten mad or even questioned whats up?...instead they'd rather have knock-down-drag-outs over who got free mags...also, this forum boasts some connectivity to bushmaster...and what burns me is you got a guy asking the same question i've asked before(politely), but he wants to hunt...and nothing....where was his $0.02....dude?

#13 ·
but complaining on a small board of less than 500 people accomplishes nothing. Im sure there is a reason its not out yet. I would love to have the kid myself hell even a shorter barrel for now but they arnt out and I deal with it. Its not the end of the world, its a new system and things have to go through R&D. I dont even think Bushmaster reads this so really you are just blowing up the little bandwidth this place has with the same comments on how you are upset that a conversion isnt out yet. Take a deep breath, gather yourself, build up some patience and become a contributing member here instead of a whiny new person. K thanks.

#14 ·
...hey, hold on S, i did put my main "whining" thesis in the section labeled "endless debate and whining"...hahaah...so i definitely acknowledge the form i chose to write in(whiny) ...as for 500 people...well, bushmaster DOES read this site..."p-mags as a sweetener after recall" is just one thing they seemed to take into account...and as far as being the first to send this forum updates and new accessory info, bushmaster is definitely open to the advantages of a forum(it has worked well for lwrc)...that being said, my main question still stands and i think rightly so...
...if you say you sell it and it's available when its not...whats the business sense in that?...i could understand if they just offered it for LE or Mil but....even if they gave a date...cool...or hell just a "coming soon"...
...it took magpul 4 months in 2006 to come up with a prototype...they scrapped it and started from scratch and made six "operational prototypes..(that were) test fired and built in approximately 4 months..." since then they've tweaked for 4yrs after that...so i hope your wrong about the R&D, because if they come out with something crazier...i aint got the beans for that...

#15 ·
So, now that Bushmaster is shutting down in Maine, will Remington make the 6.8 and other caliburs? as well as accessories? Will it take until 2012? I read an article about the owner of Bushmaster selling to the new company because he was sure they would not move Bushmaster out of Maine...

#16 ·
the same investment company that owns this one Rem and others including Chrysler only cares about $ nothing else...you can not trust them. Have said that I believe as an ACR owner we will be in good hands with REM... my 2 cents

#18 ·
I think there might be a couple who think along those lines. But, Remington is a good company with a long history. I have done all the mental gymnastics and I have gotten a lot of support from members (with Military and LE background) on this site who have had their ACR a lot longer with positive results... as many have said before ...go shoot it and have fun and then go out and shoot it some more

#19 ·
I recently aquired 2 current prodution C-Products 6.8 25 rnd mags(floor plates say Newington CT.) that feature their new EMC (enhanced magazine catch ) in hope of soon having the factory caliber conversion from Bushmaster- much to my surprise they DO NOT DROP FREE! I went back to my magazine reference collection and found 1 new in wrap C-Products 6.8 mag 25 rnd from the marlube era (floor plate is marked New Brittain CT.)of production and it works fine, loaded or empty, bolt open or closed, tried to just break the edge on the problem mags catch hole with a fine stone it helped some, but did not solve the problem alltogether, so I have now ordered a Barrett 30 rnd mag, we will see how it works!

#20 ·
just thought an update was in order- the Barrett 6.8 mag ROCKS!! has that "HK" quality feel to it drops free empty or loaded , bolt open , or closed -round #30 loads as smooth as round #1!! not cheap but quality never is! thank you MR. Ronnie Barrett!!

#23 ·
C-Prods mags are generally luck of the draw. I have had serious failure issues with over half the 5.45 AR mags I've gotten from them (I've ended up using Pmags loaded to 25 in their place, since they are actually far more reliable, even with the off caliber). So I would never feel too comfortable with C-Prods mags. As for Magpul, I'm still anxiously waiting for their 40 round Pmags, let alone a new caliber...

#26 ·
for what its worth: recently read that LWRCi has won a contract to supply Jordan with a 6.8 version of their rifle which uses a propietary oversized polymer magazine in an equally unique lower no info on domestic sales though....

#29 ·
I have a few questions some of you may be able to answer; what are the differences in ballistics between. 223 and 6.8? I understand the 6.8 will have more energy but at what yardage does it drop off significantly? Is the bullet path flatter than. 223 or not? What is the 6.8 maximum effective range. I understand barrel length makes a difference and the 6.8 wasn't designed for long distances but closer ranges where knockdown power is required where 5.56 has not done the job. Also does anyone know how much powder in a 6.8 cartridge? Maybe I ought to of posted this in the reloading threads but I figured this is a cartridge many on here are passionate about and want to draw as many to the thread as I can because there are so many here with experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.