ACR Forum banner

6.5 Grendel Vs 6.8 SPC

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Macht 
#1 ·
What does everyone think of these two different rounds? I'm trying to decide which barrel swap to go with.

#4 ·
I was considering the same thing. Though I have decided to go with the 6.8 spc. From what I remember the 6.5 has less bullet drop than the 6.8 out to ranges 500 yards and beyond. The 6.5 also has less wind drift out to those ranges. Now to the 6.8, the long range performance of the 6.5 isn't too important to me, cause I am not going to shoot beyond 500. Also the 6.8 spc was designed for shorter length barrels, thus it does not suffer as much from shorter barrel, but it also does not gain much from longer barrels. Not that I ever plan on putting a 24 inch barrel on my ACR. That's my 2 cents at least.

#5 ·
You can open an Acr bolt up for either. The 6.5 uses a 762x39 bolt face which thins out the area around the lugs. The 6.8 doesn't as bad which it most likely would be better for bolt life.

#6 ·
In anything but an ACR I'd recommend the Grendel (one of my favorite cartridges), but given the degree to which the bolt must be modified, the 6.8 will simply have better longevity. Factory ammo availability also favors the 6.8. Ballistically however, the 6.5 is excellent and doesn't give up near as much in a short barrel as many would have you believe, there are a number of people out there with Grendel SBRs. Remember, velocity is fleeting but BC is forever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.