• 458 SOCOM

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • 450 Bushmaster

Votes: 1 1.5%

ACR conversions, who is interested

44K views 138 replies 43 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Greetings;
I am new to this forum, this being my 2nd post; the first one was for some reason was removed.

How many forum members would be interested in a complete conversion kit in 762X39, 22-250,
50 Beo, 458 SOCOM. 450 Bushmaster, everything in the box ready to go. 6.5 Grendel 6.8 not offered

Built in California USA using Remington parts, Barrels to start, 12.5" to 18"

#63 ·
Guys, it has been really interesting to here your post about James I suppose you guys really know the guy.This forum seems to have a lot of Neg. members talking crap on
people they do not know. So for all the ACR nerd talking crap here is one picture , compare the two barrels, check the location of the spring. where is the rod support bracket.
will it work? what the hell, enough said. works just Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Metal Tool
fine

#64 ·
The way you explained it made no sense at all. With a stop on the piston it may work. But that's added weight to the piston.

But the bullshit flag still flies high. The way you explained the gas system is no where near how it works. Maybe you really don't understand it. In that case, you shouldn't be working on it.

#66 ·
James, most of these promises were made multiple times over the years so having a new member stating that he can produce a product is taken with a grain of salt here. How many times has someone said they can make a rail system, 300blk barrel set or magnesium lower on here then disappear right after, never to be heard from ever.

The pic shows some proof that you are capable of making parts and conversions but overall a video would shut all of the naysayers up quick. Also, somewhat correct sentence structure might help also.

#68 ·
My partner was right nothing good would come from being a member of this forum.
I will no longer post on open forum. Yes most of you can be grouped as asshole
For the good guys that are truly interested in upgrading their ACR I will accept PM

#69 ·
You STILL have not addressed my concerns. You will not come onto the forum trying to sell people parts to a gun that can blow up if not done right, and spew ignorance about how the system works, and not be called out about it. I want you to clear this up. You cannot make those statements and then call us assholes for correcting you.

#70 ·
I would like to add a few facts to this. That bolt in the picture sure looks like one I sold to this 'James'. It got to him well after his post about having a system up and running but strangely just before he posted pics. He was close to upset with me because I took about a full month to get him the part from the time it appears he sent me the check (my fault but there were a few weekends, the check took awhile to clear, shipping both ways and a holiday in the mix of that month) and then he didn't realize that he had it for 2 days after he was still hitting me up on email and pm(post office verified this). James appears to be affiliated with SoCal Firearms (SoCal Firearms). Given his forum behavior and my correspondence with him, I would probably elect not to do business with him in the future. I thought about posting this in the feedback forum but it seems more appropriate here.

Facts over.

Ducky said we got 'Lionharted'(which is sort of funny if you have been around long enough to know that history, use the search if you want to learn about it), this guy strikes me more as a 'APWR' type. Not trying to bang on Ryan but it just seems more like that sort of situation to me.

What people fail to realize when they come to this site is that the majority of the people here are a bit(italics for sarcasm) jaded since Bushmaster, Remington, Magpul and just about a thousand other people/manufacturers have let the ACR fans down. It comes off like we are assholes but you have to understand the group here and that this is more like a bar room of fans of the biggest underdog team on the worst losing streak ever than an internet forum. To continue the metaphor, most people that come here and spout that they are the new coach for said team and that they are going to turn it around, we tend to be the skeptical fans and tough on talkers with nothing to back it up. Basically we are in a temporary Catch 22, no vendors want to support the ACR with new stuff because there is no market, there is no market because no vendors want to support the ACR. From the vendors perspective, there is no money to be made on this platform (because its a small market, small market means few parts, few parts means high cost to manufacture, high cost to manufacture means no/small profits). Just keep in mind when someone comes on here saying they want to make parts for the ACR they usually figure this out after they have already opened their mouths about making things.

I would say, 'Do your best to be nice to new people,' but I have a feeling it might rightfully fall on deaf ears given most of the history for this platform. Also, I have not abandoned the ACR. I will post something similar to a blog in our subforum but won't muddy this thread with what we are up to.

#71 ·
I'm all for new people trying to help and make things happen. I gave Sir James the benefit of the doubt for a long time despite my gut feelings. Nothing has been put forward to prove any statements made by him. I don't like being taken advantage of, and nor do I like spending money on an invisible project. He hasn't tried to take money yet, but this is where it is heading ultimately. As ACR community members I hope we would all try to be hopeful that something will change our "losing streak".

James, I would like to apologize for my remarks. If you can show us your work and any progress you are doing then we would have more reason to believe you and do what we can to help you move this forward. We know it is a long, difficult, and complicated road to accomplish what you are telling us. Give us some better updates and we will support you 100%. We have seen the rise and fall of a lot of ideas, so make us believe that you are going to achieve what no one else has promised us. There will always be skeptics no matter what field of work anyone does. It's a given fact and we all deal with it. There is a saying on most forums "pics or it didn't happen". When we see what you are doing is actually happening, then we believe you and those skeptics will shut up an get in line behind you marching and waving the metaphorical ACR flag. I can tell anyone here that I'm the king of Norway. Unfortunately most people here know enough and have seen enough to disprove most anything you tell us, so if things sound fishy we need visuals to disprove those thoughts.

We all want the ACR upgraded, but if we are going to be your customer you have to gain our trust and work with us. I won't go buy a car from a guy who says his vehicles last 100 years on the road if I have never heard anyone buy from him and make it to 100yrs. Telling us we don't need a support rod is the same. No one has seen it or done it. Show us and we can all rejoice in your genius for fixing that problem. Occasional updates and pictures of your work will solidify us as your customers and you will get us coming back for more of your product when you get it finalized. It's called salesmanship. Products don't sell themselves. You have to sell it to us..... except for that miracle hair tonic and enhancement pills. That shit is no lie. Thank you wandering salesman. He also sold shrimp... out of his van... down by the river....

#79 ·
Telling us we don't need a support rod is the same. No one has seen it or done it.
In his defense this does work, and it has been done before by another member.

I'm not sure what he is talking about with the hole for the S, but he is correct if you bought a standard blank AR barrel then you would drill 3 holes, one for the gas port and two for your taper pins to hold the gas block on.

#72 · (Edited)
I'm willing to give just about every bit of obvious BS a chance and be polite about it the whole time. But I whole heartedly believe you are trying to rip us off. Either that or you are pretending to do the work someone else is doing in order to sell for them. Similar to the guy at the front desk of a tire shop. They know absolutely dick 99% of the time, their sales, which are recommended by the mechanic, depend on you thinking they know their stuff. Anyways I don't think that's the case here.

I'll explain because some still seem to be entertaining this guy. His explanation of the gas system isn't just wrong, it shows he's never ever taken apart an ACR barrel. If he had he would obviously only see one single hole. On top of that, he has never ever used a standard AR barrel on an ACR. Otherwise he wouldn't have made this statement

"With out the bracket any AR15 barrel will just drop in. You only have to drill 3 holes into the barrel. One is an extra gas hole the piston system uses for suppressed barrels. When you move the
piston valve to the S position you are opening a 2nd gas hole. The other two are for mounting the Gas Piston housing on to the barrel. You do not have to have any machining done to a replacement barrel"

If you drop an are barrel straight in, you'll be incredibly over gassed, possibly to the point of damaging the rifle. Most people here know that an AR barrel has a much bigger gas port which needs be plugged and then re-drilled. I can't say what would happen if you drilled a second hole because well, that's just stupid. Finally you have to mill down near the chamber for the lock ring to fit. I've had 3 AR barrels and that lock ring hasn't fit on a single one. Given all this, I'm guessing you were also hoping that we would assume that lock ring you polished up was something you machined yourself.

You want to prove it, explain how the gas system actually works then post a picture like this...

Don't forget to order a conversion from Marvin first though.

Like I said I'll be polite in the face of a lot of obvious bs, but I don't believe in pussyfooting around someone who's trying to run a scam. If not a scam then your trolling.

#80 ·
Who has done it? I will say that I haven't been on here as long as anyone else, but seeing that no on else does it and never hearing of it doesn't look promising. Others who have been here a while have voiced that it can't happen. Who did it and where can I see video of this working/how to make it happen? I can take a look tomorrow and fiddle with my rifle and see the plausibility, but it may require a range trip and a slow-mo camera to check a few things.

#84 ·
Unless you have taken the time to move your gas block to the carbine position it will not work so don't waste your time trying to fiddle with it at the stock position. somebody back me up here, was it goeteron that did this with his 300 blk? somebody did it and I don't have time to sit and search this out. This is redic not sure why I am even arguing this.

#86 ·
I believe you are thinking of pistol length. Carbine length is too long. Goteron's 300blk barrel has no piston support and it also has a pistol length gas system.

#87 ·
If I had the profiled carbine length rod it probably wouldn't be too difficult to just make a whole new rod with a machinist that has the springs stop made into the rod rather than a set screw attached. My issue is how far does the op rod travel? Does it actually leave the gas block and go back in while cycling, or just cycle enough and never leaves the gas block? If it doesn't leave we could easily drop the support. I doubt that occurs though. If we drilled holes in the top of the gas block towards the exit of the op rod, it would vent gas and potentially keep it from leaving and thus eliminate the support, but the question is will it cycle enough to move the bolt?
Anyone get what I'm saying or is that complicated? It would take me a while to figure it out and I don't have the equipment to watch it. I also don't have extra gas blocks to randomly drill into to do trial by error and see what kinda of venting would be required. The obvious other option is Marvin's gas block seems to already be set up closer to how it would need to be in order to drop the support.

#102 ·
No it doesn't leave the block in travel, the spring when compressed acts as a stop. The end of the op rod has that cut out that vents the excess gas when it reaches "full stroke" if you will, it appears to me. I could be wrong on the venting but the rod def doesn't leave the block

#91 ·
It actually supports the rod as well. Early versions didn't like being run full auto with no support and they had a tendency to bow after awhile. The only other way around it was to make the op rod even heavier with tool steel. That said, it could have been made differently to not have to cut into the barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.