ACR Forum banner

5.45x39

34K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  Danno 
#1 ·
New to both the forum and the ACR so please bare with me if this has been discussed already. I am considering on purchasing a ACR at the end of the month and love the idea of caliber change. (currently have a XCR and use it for that exact reason) But I cant find much info on the ACR and the 5.45x39 round. I shoot .223 consistantly, but I like to train (more like long practice) with 5.45 due to it being much cheaper. (surplus ammo) And if I can save a hundred bucks after a day at the range I welcome it. So is there a conversion available? Discussed, or even thought of? Already looked around here on the forums and came up somwhat short so I thought I would post a thread to see if there was any interest in it, or more info that I may have missed?

#3 ·
No full conversions of any kind available yet.

5.45x39 doesn't get much mention around these parts for an ACR conversion. I think that with .223 / 5.56 starting to get more realistic in price, it may be awhile before we see one.

#4 ·
You can get factory 5.45 barrels for your XCR. If you don't have his contact info go over to the XCRforum and look for Kermit. He posts as 'Gramps96k' or something like that over there. He's a dealer that can more often than not get the goods out of RobArm in a decent timeframe. I've got his e-mail around here somewhere too if need be.

As for it an ACR, I suppose it could be done though I don't know if there would be enough of a market for it seeing how we can't even get additional 5.56 barrels at the moment. The cheap 5.45 being on the wrong side of corrosive would make many folks turn into snobbish gun owners, "I'm not shooting that through my $2K rifle!" The non-corrosive 5.45 is comparable in price, not to mention performance, to cheap 5.56 so even then there isn't much gain. But don't get me wrong as I happen to like the 5.45 round and wish it was available for the XCR a lot sooner than it was as the boom for that cal has come and gone.

#5 ·
You can get factory 5.45 barrels for your XCR. If you don't have his contact info go over to the XCRforum and look for Kermit. He posts as 'Gramps96k' or something like that over there. He's a dealer that can more often than not get the goods out of RobArm in a decent timeframe. I've got his e-mail around here somewhere too if need be.

As for it an ACR, I suppose it could be done though I don't know if there would be enough of a market for it seeing how we can't even get additional 5.56 barrels at the moment. The cheap 5.45 being on the wrong side of corrosive would make many folks turn into snobbish gun owners, "I'm not shooting that through my $2K rifle!" The non-corrosive 5.45 is comparable in price, not to mention performance, to cheap 5.56 so even then there isn't much gain. But don't get me wrong as I happen to like the 5.45 round and wish it was available for the XCR a lot sooner than it was as the boom for that cal has come and gone.
Well said, +1.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses, I mainly use 5.45 for the price point. Even though .223 is getting cheaper I can still get a 1080rd spam can of 5.45 for 140$ locally which is much cheaper then what I can get cheap 5.56 for. Head spacing definitely is more of the issue, and the bolt. I'm sure some people would shoot 5.45 down a 5.56 barrel if it were able to chamber right, but the accuracy would be terrible. As for getting snoobish on the crap round through a expensive gun I am more of the opinion that the more expensive the gun the more it should be able to eat the junk I give it, but that's just me. Plus the corrosive stuff isn't bad if you clean your gun a day or two later. I have looked into the 5.45 for the XCR but since my funds are being saved for a ACR I don't think I will get one soon unless I decide to sell my M&P-15R. (my current 5.45 rifle)

#7 ·
I'm thinking that if you want 5.45 in an ACR it's going to be custom and that means $$$.

I'd still recommend the conversion kit for the XCR. Kermit could probably get you one at a decent price. I've considered it myself just to be able to shoot on the cheap.

#8 ·
I have a mp15 r right now and i absolutly hate the 5.45 bullet. For one its so dirty and although its easy to clean it still leaves ressidue and almost imposible to keep it all the day clean. Also i have found that after not.shooting it for a few months that the A2 flash hider was loaded with rust but a quick brass brush.to it took it off..just a few opinions on what i think of the 5.45x39

#9 ·
Most of the cheap 5.45x39 ammo that people are using is corrosive russian surplus. (as DSM mentioned) The rust on the flash hider is no more then incomplete removal of the corrosive salts. A good douching with warm soapy water just after a range session, followed by normal cleaning should help reduce the rust.

Also, it is not the most accurate stuff, (im being nice) its for blasting, drills and cheap fun. When you get into the non corrosive 5.45 stuff, your almost to the cost of 223.

Again, (as DSM mentioned ;) ) a 5.45 conversion for the ACR would be custom and probably offset the ammo savings. XCR conversions can be had for aprx $550. That would be your only reasonable option right now. (if you own a XCR) or the AR upper from S&W if you have an AR.

Ofcourse an AK74 varient would always be an option.........

#10 ·
I mainly use it for drills and quick acquisition training. (which is great for that) The precision/long range I leave for the quality stuff. I have never had my rifle rust on me though I have noticed some cans get the gun dirtier then others. So if you are having major gunk in your m&p try a different year of surplus. (forhttp://www.acrforum.com/forum/member.php/1476-warrior84evr warrior) The bad stuff is fed to the AK as cjt50 suggested. I guess the XCR conversion will have to be my option. Though it might not be for a while since the ACR is next on the wish list. What can i say I love guns and just have to feed the desire to have one of each kind. :)

#19 ·
Sadly, I am ready to purchase but have been unsuccessful at reaching Ballistic Advantage. I have called and emailed them numerous times and have not been able to reach them. There has been no return contact of my messages. Either nobody is there, as the phone just rings or they are VERY busy.

SamM

#21 · (Edited)
5.45x39 SBR Update in OP

Machining wise everything is done. Piston rod cut and reprofiled, op rod support turned down, barrel shortened to around 11" and threaded, Bolt opened up and gas block holes redrilled. Need to trim a tad bit off the end of the handguard to give more room for the suppressor.

Haven't gotten to shoot it yet. I just got the bolt back from the gunsmith tonight. That and redrilling the gas block holes was a step i wasn't able to complete myself. Just handle cycling they go in fine through ASC and Pmags. The only problem so far is rounds getting stuck in the chamber. 1 or two of them the extractor would keep letting go of the round and would not pull it out. Most of them will come out if you lightly whack the charging handle with a rubber mallet. Will try heavier extractor springs and polishing the chamber.

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun accessory Composite material
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

ETA: I was skeptical on bringing the gun out with the rounds sticking in the chamber but the only way to know was to shoot it. I brought out every tool i could thinking i might need to get this thing working and fully expected to spend most of the day working on it. Got to the range, loaded a mag and it worked. It worked great. Put my can n and switched the gas setting and it still worked. Grinning from ear to ear. Couldn't believe it and kinda still can't. They never work right out of the gate but it did.

#28 ·
Adams Arms Carbine length. They sell a 5.45 conversion kit with spring, mag, bolt and FH. WAY cheaper then the one from Model1Sales. I waited on M1S for several months and they finally sent me a shorty barrel. Got it all setup and drop a round in it and they sent me a 556. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.