ACR Forum banner

5.45x39

34K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  Danno 
#1 ·
New to both the forum and the ACR so please bare with me if this has been discussed already. I am considering on purchasing a ACR at the end of the month and love the idea of caliber change. (currently have a XCR and use it for that exact reason) But I cant find much info on the ACR and the 5.45x39 round. I shoot .223 consistantly, but I like to train (more like long practice) with 5.45 due to it being much cheaper. (surplus ammo) And if I can save a hundred bucks after a day at the range I welcome it. So is there a conversion available? Discussed, or even thought of? Already looked around here on the forums and came up somwhat short so I thought I would post a thread to see if there was any interest in it, or more info that I may have missed?

#32 ·
The whole ammo sticking in the chamber thing has kinda got me cautious about shooting it. When hand cycling, some rounds eject normally and some i need to bang the CH to get it to open up. Anybody else had any problems like this before?

#33 ·
If you have not checked headspacing you may want to. If you don't know what I am talking about you might want to hit up a gunsmith and have him check it for you.

And if you do test shoot it, I would put sand bags all the way around it and use a string for the first few shots.

#36 ·
That's great. Now start making that whole kit for sale and I'll buy one. Been doing a little research on 5.45. seems like a good shooting round and it's cheap, but the non corrosive shit will eat your gun up if you don't clean it every time you shoot it

#39 ·
I could make the whole thing except the op rod support and any other parts BM won't sell. unless you have spare barrel assemblies laying around.

The 5.45 round is a great round. Not nearly the selection of ammo as 5.56 but it's cheap. I see melonite touted as being corrosion resistant and all that but picked up my ACR this morning and the inside of it is rusted already. My Adams Arms 5.45 M16 is so pitted inside that it's keyholeing like crazy. So it's ok to shoot 5.45 surplus but you have to clean your shit. If your not shooting surplus you might was well shoot 5.56. Ammo price wise. Unless you have a thing for odd calibers.

Now to make one in 7.62x25 :D

#37 ·
Viper I saw your post over at ARFCOM, nice work my brother. The Russians called that round the "poison needle". I would be extremely interested in a conversion like this. As asked over at ARFCOM did you use standard AR 5.56 mags?

#46 · (Edited)
Shit, i would have done it for the 100pack, but if your tossing in $100 i might as well just throw in the whole gun. I'd feel bad taking advantage of such a good offer.

I'm Using ASC 5.45 Mags. I heard magpul windowed ones work so i modded a bunch and they worked in my AR but would catch between the barrel extension and the receiver on the ACR. I loaded them and left them and now they just suck and wont work. The springs wouldent push the rounds up. ASC is basically c-products but without the crappy coating CP has that chipped off.

#54 ·
Bossfoss,
No, my conversion used a standard Bushmaster 5.56x45 bolt. It was opened up just a little to fit the 5.45x39 bolt size. Any competent gunsmith should be able to do the conversion for you. Viper's gunsmith did my bolt work. My conversion did use the same barrel that you mentioned though. Mike's bolt will not work with the 5.45x39, as the 7.62x39 bolt head is much bigger on that caliber.

#56 ·
Sounds good, I will get one coming from BM. I thought that the 6.5 would be a bit big, but i couldn't find a lot of info on the web about it and I don't have any 5.45 ammo yet to check against. Thanks SamM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.