ACR Forum banner

What Caliber Would You Pick If Available? (Ver2.0)

What Caliber Would You Pick If Available? (Ver2.0)

23K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Well, it's been a year since I created the last thread / poll with this question and thought it was time to create another one. Here are the results from the 1st poll:

6.8 SPC 23 votes
6.5 / 264 LBC 10 votes
300 BLK 17 votes
30 Remington AR 2 votes
7.62x39 24 votes
22 LR 2 votes
other 4 votes
total of 82 votes

Figured with the new members since and some more info about whats on the horizon, time for a new one..... :cool:

#35 ·
Mike,

I chose .300 Blackout in the poll but I am still looking at getting a 6.5/.264/7.62 bolt. I am presently waiting for factory 1/7" 5.56 (and .300 Blackout) barrels to be available. Once that happens, I want to get my current gas system parts moved to an 18" .264/6.5 barrel for my longer range ACR solution. I don't really have much use for 7.62x39 in comparison to supersonic .300 Blackout but I am interested in the possibility of 5.45x39. I also definitely want a .22lr conversion kit if you are thinking about one. :)

-Craig

#5 ·
300 BLK because I rarely get to shoot out past a couple hundred yards, and the power within that with supersonic ammo is awesome. Plus, the option of subsonic ammo..

And only having to change the barrel, not mess with bolt or mag issues.

But really, for the ACR to live up to the "adaptive" name, BM should sell gas blocks, barrel nuts, and piston parts freely to allow people to develop for the platform.

#6 ·
You don't have to change the magazines for the 300 BLK? I thought they would have to reduce the forward guides that engage the shoulder of the 5.56 case. Could probably buy Pmags and run a broach through them to shave them down but it would be trickier with metal mags. I think logistically the 300 would be cool. It would interesting to see a SAW chambered for it.

Mike

#7 · (Edited)
There is a SAW chambered for it. There is a video on youtube showing it. Really kool!!!!

ETA: Found it!!

And another (not sure this is a M249, but still kool)

#13 ·
I see that the .300BLK is winning! What is the benefit of it over the 6.8SPC? I know that the BLK would only require a barrel change. Is that the only benefit? Is Magpul going to make .300BLK marked P-MAGS? I'd consider the .300BLK over the 6.8SPC, if there was a benefit. The 6.8 conversion kits are supposed to be released in January 2012. When can we expect a.300BLK conversion kit?

Honestly, what I'd like to see is a barrel manufacturer step up and support the ACR. Noveske is a no-go! Already contacted them. They aren't interested.

SamM

#14 ·
Well first, for all the 6.8 fans- 300 BLK and 6.8 SPC are different rounds for different applications. If you regularly shoot past 300m, the 6.8 is better.

That said, out to 300m, the 300 BLK's selling points:

- Uses standard 5.56 mags to full capacity with no mods

- Uses standard 5.56 bolt (arguably stronger than 6.8 bolt heads- in an AR-type system)

- More muzzle energy than 6.8, more retained energy out to 300 (Using the latest 300 BLK Barnes bullets)

- 300 BLK has much less powder resulting in much-reduced muzzle blast

- 300 BLK uses fast burning powder that provides very efficient performance in SBRs and VSBRs.. 5.56 and 6.8 are flashy, blasty, and overall uncomfortable to use in short barrel guns.

- 30 cal. for those in states that require 30 cal to hunt larger game

- premium ammo is around the same cost as 6.8, but the upcoming (this month) UMC remington ammo for 300 BLK is half the cost of 'low cost' 6.8

- FACTORY subsonic ammo available for incredibly quiet shooting- factory sub ammo cycles the guns just fine with no adjustments to the gas system. - ie switch from subsonics to supers instantly.

- EASY to reload- uses either new factory brass (cheaper than factory 6.8 brass) or can be easily formed from 5.56 brass. Uses standard .308 bullets.

- over 75 companies building products for it already in it's first year of availability- more at SHOT this year.

- Larger bore diameter, slower bullet, less powder all adds up to a more durable system.

Negatives:

- NOT a long-range round- some 300 BLK supersonic ammo has been tested to remain supersonic out to 600 yds, so it is capable, but at that range, the bullet drop is excessive (for me)

- cheap ammo not that widely available yet (it is widely available on the web, though)

Additional- I doubt Magpul would make 300 BLK PMAGs, since they are exactly the same as the standard PMAG, but if it continues to take off it woul dmake sense to have them at least to sell with the factory 300 BLK guns...

#16 ·
Im really beginning to want the 300. I picked the 6.8 cause id hunt and hope to shoot past 300m if I move or join another range. If it does take off like it seems to be im sure the factory 300 guns could just have pmags with the different cartridge in the molding.

#18 · (Edited)
I said 6.8 because it would the quickest to get out since the piston and gas block parts are the same. That said, 300BLK is growing on me so seeing a conversion get out on the streets wouldn't upset me. So, whoever gets it up and running first would probably get my money, for my ACR or XCR, respectively.

#19 ·
To be done reasonably cheaply and correctly (at least in the short term), this would require BM to sell the individual bbl parts to barrel manufs... that would be awesome, but I am doubtful.

At the very least, when BM releases factory barrels, you can take all the parts off and have any competent machinist replace the barrel itself with anything your heart desires.
That's exactly why Noveske said that they would not support the ACR. They would need to manufacture gas system parts and they don't want to. I don't understand this line of thinking. I don't need a turnkey barrel, just someone to make one that would work. If they would just sell me a barrel without the gas port drilled it would work for me. Eliminate one step and sell me a better M4 barrel without the gas port. My gunsmith could fit my gas system parts and drill the proper gas port for me. This isn't a big deal. I guess everyone just wants a piece of the pie. Very sad!

I voted 6.8. I don't shoot SBRs and I actually do shoot further than 300 meters.

SamM

#20 ·
6.8SPC but 300 Blackout is raising rapidly.

#24 · (Edited)
I think the barrel would be the easy part. Dana (bigdog) as looking into doing a mod to make it work and it turned out there was some serious work to make a gas block fit in the right spot on the barrel. The charging handle slide wants to occupy the same place apparently.

ETA: I'm still thinking that given the group of companies involved that the 300BLK will eventually, sooner than later, make its way to the ACR family. I'd be cool with that. Though Robinson does have 300BLK in their Micro uppers now, if they can make it work in their Mini uppers I'd be cool with that too.

#23 ·
Could AAC get complete barrel kits going in a deal with BM?

#29 ·
i didnt even know that you were talking to/about me lolz

i have been thinking of the 300 blk project some off and on, the big thing stopping me is i stumbled on an extremely good deal on ammo 2k rounds of factory m855 for 450 was hard to turn up so now i'm broke (That and a baby)

i think i'd like to try the carbine length barrel and cut it down to 10.5" but i dont have any suppressors for a 7.62 so i couldnt completely tune one. i only have an evo45 and dont wanna ruin the warranty

#32 ·
Probably time for ver 3.0

#34 ·
I just read this whole thread, and before I read it I already wanted a 300 blk setup for my ACR. But now I REALLY want it. Ether in 10.5 or 12.5. Probably 12.5. I still want a 6.8 kit too, but not as much as 300. I would probably get 6.8 in an 18.5 inch barrel. I am going to do the same thing though: wait for bigdog to do it then learn from him. I just wish BM would start selling barrel nuts and gas system parts, and other companies would sell barrels without a gas port drilled. Those two things alone would solve alot of problems. Why has nobody started machining these parts thierselves and selling them? Is it a patent issue? because I would be doing it if I had the equipment.

#36 ·
Newer member here. I voted 6.8 SPC. I've spent all my gun budget for the year (and then some) but some day, when barrels and bolts become available, I'd like to pick up another ACR and set it up with a scope for intermediate range use, 200 - 300 yards, which is about the farthest I ever shoot. I'd like either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. This is also partly an excuse to have a coyote brown ACR basic setup. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.