ACR Forum banner

What Caliber Would You Pick If Available? (Ver2.0)

What Caliber Would You Pick If Available? (Ver2.0)

23K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  TXHogTrap 
#1 ·
Well, it's been a year since I created the last thread / poll with this question and thought it was time to create another one. Here are the results from the 1st poll:

6.8 SPC 23 votes
6.5 / 264 LBC 10 votes
300 BLK 17 votes
30 Remington AR 2 votes
7.62x39 24 votes
22 LR 2 votes
other 4 votes
total of 82 votes

Figured with the new members since and some more info about whats on the horizon, time for a new one..... :cool:

#37 ·
Just to clarify the gas system parts are available from Remington, except the operating rod support brackets. The barrel locking nut and shim are the only other parts needed. I suppose technically the op rod brackets are part of the gas system but I refer to them as barrel parts. Anyway, I went for the 7.62x39 Russian. It seemed like the best choice since Argo ReInc. has released the bolts for that conversion. It shoots like a dream! Put a box through it today! Awesome! A range report is coming. The 5.45x39 Russian and 1/7" twist 5.56x45 NATO are easily accomplished as parts for them are easy to find. You'll need to restrict the gas port on them, if shooting hot ammo. Here are my conversion barrels and a picture of my 7.62x39 ACR. Until the barrel parts are released we'll need to chose a caliber and then wait, wait, WAIT!

#38 ·
easy 6.5 - at least 4 rifle manufacturers currently making 300 options said they feel with the introduction of low cost 6.5 ther market will dry up for 300 - Wolf said today they are still in testing with the bimetal but by the holidays it should be available at pricing around 40 cents per round in bulk.

#40 ·
correct me if i'm wrong but the 300blk works really well with the short barrels, iirc it burns most of the powder in the first few inches unlike the 5.56.

i'd almost think they are talking about the 9" barrels

#41 ·
In most cases, it's impossible to tell who's talking about what...

300 is VERY efficient and with good supersonic ammo (Barnes TTSX), it will fully expand out of a 9" bbl.

That said, it'll still have a lot of drop. Even with a 16". I'd be more conservative and keep it inside 200 realistically.

That also said, if you have enough elevation adjustment in your optic, the supersonic 300BLK round doesn't go subsonic until after 600yds (I don't have the actual number in front of me). So, go ahead and lob those bitches. ;)

#48 ·
It's almost a no brainer at this time for Bushmaster/Remington to manufacture 300 AAC Blk.
1. AAC is in the freedom group.
2. the only thing you would need to change is the barrel. Same bolt & Mags.
3. the 300 is great suppressed, which a piston gun excels at
4. No mods to lower receiver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.