Marvin Pitts Lightened Bolt Carrier - Page 4
Join Today
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Marvin Pitts Lightened Bolt Carrier

The piston makes contact much lower which is ideal. It hits about 1mm above the Buffer spring, and there is lots of material to support it. Honestly I think it would take alot of other factors to induce carrier till that would cause damage as you have the rails and the buffer assembly guiding the carrier. However that last sentence is a deduced assumption.

Yea it looks like the piston hits the main body of the carrier. The charging handle latches onto the top of the carrier so in order for it to hit the top portion we're cutting into, it would have to be a design similar to the AR charging where the rod passes through but it's not.

I think the cuts in the body may be a little too thin, I'd be worried about cracks. I do like how light that looks though. If you want it tested for a few thousand rounds next season and at some training classes let me know. If it's ganna crack or fail, that would do it.
    Last edited by DDustin; 12-15-2013 at 02:56 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like and subscribe to my shooter pages

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

List of interest in ACR parts

When this shit gets worked out, I'm on it like me on rice.

68fbjjz109 and dirty.30 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Just get in touch with Marvin Pitts. The design I'm using is good to go, I was just wondering if we could go lighter.
    Last edited by DDustin; 12-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Like and subscribe to my shooter pages

List of interest in ACR parts

I only want to do this once, so when it gets figured out how far we can safely go I'm on it.

That looks awesome DDustin! Did you get a weight difference between the two carriers? I'm curious how going lighter with the bolt carrier would work with heavier caliber conversions, ie 6.8, 300 blk, 6.5grendel... Etc. Anyone get a price yet from Marvin? I also agree with SDDuc, I'd rather not dish out money multiple times vs waiting and doing it once.
    Lord, make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those that who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine, and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

The factory carrier weighs approximately 13.4 oz's This combined with a lightened or dimpled barrel could drop the weight overall by approximately half a pound.
    68fbjjz109 likes this.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

This might be the ticket for 300blk in the acr. I think if I were going to run a 300 blk kit, i'd get a spare carrier and do this to it. But I doubt I'll do this to my only carrier. I wouldn't trust it with my life.
    Smokescreen1030 likes this.

I pulled apart my buffer spring assembly and measured the spring under, and with out load. Just need to get an accurate scale to measure the pounds of force it take to move the spring. When I put the dimensions into spring calculator I got recommend part numbers which is a good sign. If we wanted to go lighter looks like we might be able to without to much trouble.

I am not rushing to have my carrier cut, but do I want to yes. However I want it to be the best it can be. This being said, if we can get away with drastic cuts without excessive bolt speed, and a negative impact on function I would also do it. There is alot of excessive material here, which may not be needed outside the fact its cheaper to manufacturer as is.

Frankly the scariest thickness of the bolt carrier with in terms to failure in my opinion are in the OEM piece. My assumption is if it is going to fail, it would as a high round count OEM piece, partly due to the amount of weight being thrown around. The dimensions I highlighter are some of the thinnest, and have alot of forces acting on them in comparison to other portions of the bolt carrier. As long as bolt speed isn't excessive the lighter it is, the easier it will be on the rest of the parts.

How a lighter bolt carrier plays into other calibers, I can only speculate.
    Last edited by 68fbjjz109; 12-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.

I'm planning on a 300blk Acr this year with tax money, Rainier makes a carbine length 14.5". I'm gonna try that one with the factory setup and see if it works ok. I'd also like to have a lightened carrier just in case. I think 2-4 oz's should be plenty to help give it the boost it needs. The 300blk Scar's that were made up had lightened carriers to function correctly. (not factory ones)

I'd like to have a SBR Acr in 300blk but since its my primary rifle the 5.56 will have to do for now until I can get a spare SBR made up for testing
    68fbjjz109 likes this.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast