Marvin Pitts' new gas system review
Join Today
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Marvin Pitts' new gas system review

Marvin Pitts' new gas system review

This is going to be a short review with pictures of the new gas system for the ACR that Marvin Pitts has created. It's like an AR-18 gas system.

There are many advantages to this gas system, as I understand it, the parts used are lighter weight that the standard bushmaster parts. Also the whole system comes out as one piece for easy cleaning, without removing the barrel or handguard. It also can be adjusted to whatever ammo you have, and whatever setup you are running at the time, all without changing the barrel gas port diameter. Hopefully the pictures will show you how it works.

uploadfromtaptalk1366923360997.jpg

First, the regulator can be setup however you like it, mine is setup for unsuppressed to the ejection port side of the gun, and suppressed to the left side. It's also tuned to function with my wolf .223 military classic ammo.

IMG_6126.jpg

To take it out, you just push the button in and turn it to the 12 oclock or 6 oclock position, then pull out.

IMG_6129.jpg

It all comes out attached together, as you see.

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

Then to take it apart you pull the regulator away from the op rod/piston.

IMG_6132.jpg

You can see the hole that the gas goes through from the gas block, into the chamber, and pushes the piston back. It has gas rings that seal it, then once the piston moves back it vents through the holes in the piston.

IMG_6133.jpg

Basically, this setup allows you to adjust it to anyway you want, with just changing the regulator out. You can have multiple regulators if you want, one for each type of ammo, one regulator with a hot load setting, and the other setting can be low power loads. Whatever you want.

IMG_6134.jpg

To take the spring off of the piston you just pull it apart, there is a little detent that the spring slides over on the rod that keeps it attached for taking it out.

IMG_6138.jpg

And then to get it back in just put it all together and slide it back in and push the button and turn it to whatever setting you need. Also it is dirty, the parts are not black, they are mainly shiny, I just didn't feel like cleaning it before taking pictures. I may one day do a video on this. And I'll follow up with more about how it functions, but so far after it was tuned for my ammo and gun, it is 100 percent. No failures suppressed or unsuppressed, I have about 100 rounds on each setting. as ammo becomes available I'll test it some more.

Hopefully this helps everyone understand a little more about how it works and explains the advantages. obviously one advantage is the price, it is quite a bit cheaper to get these parts than to get the bushmaster parts. As of right now the only thing Marvin needs from you to make a barrel like this is the lock ring, everything else he supplies. and of course I must post his contact info, because I know there will be 100 people asking for it:

Marvin Pitts [email protected]

Thanks for reading.

Edit to add: the barrel assembly as shown weighs 2 pounds flat. according to my scale which may be kind of sketchy. but the dimpling took pretty much exactly 3 ounces off the barrel.

Here is a link to a video review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LzBoGX0ZU
    Last edited by ACR500; 03-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Good stuff, Nick. If I had an acr still, I would jump on it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team A.P.W.R. - Tactics and Training Chief

I'm an idealist, with an assault rifle

Nice review with pics bro..... Thanks

And Super Nice Job from Marvin....

He did a great job on my 10.5" barrel with the standard bushmaster parts, aftermarket barrel but using his low gas support rod.

Thrilled with the ACR after this work was finished, much better balance with Argo Inc's lightweight front handguard....
    I am Rick from Pawn Stars.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

So is this gas block small enough to fit under the charging handle for a 300blk 10" barrel?

Never mind, I just read where big dog said it won't clear.

So the main advantage of this is weight reduction and running cleaner? How does it run cleaner?
    Last edited by RussTBullet; 05-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.

By design it vents most of the gas where the holes are in the piston, and the most of the gas flows through the regulator to the piston, and doesnt actually use the gas block as the chamber, so therefore you shouldn't really have to clean the gas block that often, only the regulator. Does it run cleaner? Probably not, is it easier to clean? yes.

It's adjustable as you could ever want it. it still will not clear under the charging handle I don't think, but one reason Marvin doesn't even want to do that is because you'd have to take the barrel out of the rifle to be able to access the regulator.

This is all my opinion by the way, Marvin is the expert. I love the gas system and think that it is far superior to the stock system. The most important advantage in my opinion is being able to adjust it and customize the gas settings.

Uxi
    Bad ass. I gotta get one.
    ---
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom — depart from us in peace. We seek not your counsels nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" -- Samuel Adams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote Brown Basic Folder (pinned, thanks to the absurd laws in California)

hey guys if I send Marvin a 7.63X39 barrel and bolt and nothing else would he be able to build be a barrel or would i have to send him some parts from Bushmaster? I have a few parts but Bushmaster says they are on back order with the parts I need. I would like to get that barrel built soon.

Wise Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorUSMC View Post
    hey guys if I send Marvin a 7.63X39 barrel and bolt and nothing else would he be able to build be a barrel or would i have to send him some parts from Bushmaster? I have a few parts but Bushmaster says they are on back order with the parts I need. I would like to get that barrel built soon.
    Read the bottom of the first post............
    ACR500 likes this.

Thanks very much for the pictures, review and explanation of the new gas system. Marvin has really work some voodoo into that and it really looks very promising.

Glad to see Marvin is pushing the platform forward.

Again, Thank you!!
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Thanks my bad i did not read the whole post.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast