Can't remove barrel.
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Lurker

Can't remove barrel.

Ok, I have searched the forums and now am too buzzed to continue. So here's my problem, I just bought my ACR a few days ago, I am loving it very much, but when I decided I wanted to remove the barrel, I found that it wouldn't come out. I have tried everything short of smashing the upper receiver on a rock. Ok maybe not everything, but I have been tapping on it with a rubber mallet, I have also tried the two person tug of war. Right now I have some cleaner soaking on the trunnion. Mainly I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if anyone has any ideas. Unfortunately the place I got it from has a no-return policy and the guy even told me that bringing it to them would just result in them sending it to BM for repair. I plan on calling them tomorrow, but as many people have said their CS may be lacking in the help that I need. So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Much
    Last edited by r_beaver; 04-29-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Lurker
    I was a little tight the first time. But not that bad. I had to wiggle it a bit.

Hold barrel in one hand, tap receiver with rubber mallet downward with the other. If needed, apply more force. if that doesn't work, use work bench as place to slam into while still holding barrel in one hand. It will come out, trust me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

stupid question but is the bolt locked back?

they are a pita at first but they arnt that bad, sounds like something isnt right. when i pull then i lock the bolt back, rotate the handle and remove the whole qd screw/barrel nut assembly from the receiver then pull the barrel out
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Lurker
    bigdog2003_99I have tried it with the bolt back, forward and removed. No go. I will try the way bfelts1ak said and hope that works. I am just really concerned about damaging it. I will have to wait till tomorrow though, I don't want to try this while buzzed. I am sure I will get it, I just wanted to know if it was normally this tight, or if mine is just being an a$$.

Forum Lurker
    I had to tap mine with a rubber mallet the first few times. It comes off much easier now, but still requires a fairly sharp tap with my hand.

Forum Lurker
    Ok after hitting the right spots with the mallet it worked. Wasn't hitting hard enough either. Was concerned about breaking something. This is actually my first rifle, so hitting it hard wasn't something I was prepared to do until someone else said it was alright.
    Thanks for the info. Now to clean and lubricate!

Forum Lurker
    Good deal. Glad it worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bfelts1ak View Post
    Hold barrel in one hand, tap receiver with rubber mallet downward with the other. If needed, apply more force. if that doesn't work, use work bench as place to slam into while still holding barrel in one hand. It will come out, trust me.
    This.

Happened to me as well. I'm sure it has happened to many here but who is gonna admit it?!

bfelts1ak trick does work especially with the way I tighten it down now which is the reverse. Two healthy whacks to tighten it down two notches.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " -George Orwell

Celer, Silens, Mortalitas
    "Swift, Silent, Deadly"

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwind View Post
    This.

Happened to me as well. I'm sure it has happened to many here but who is gonna admit it?!
    Well I did, and so did you. So many people will. Being my first rifle, I just wanted to make sure this was a normal issue and I shouldn't send it off to be fixed. I also didn't want to break anything. I actually also tap it in to re-seat it. Hopefully I will get it to the point that it easily swaps out. Especially when they release new calibers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast