7.62x39 conversation light strikes any fixes?
    Forum Lurker

7.62x39 conversation light strikes any fixes?

I recently bought a 7.62x39 conversation barrel and bolt. I have a giesselle trigger in it. Apparently the person I bought it from never shot it but it was made by someone on this forum. He bought it used on here.
    I took it to the range for the first time and experienced a string of light strikes with intermittent ignitions with wolf and golden tiger . The rounds that didn’t ignite would never ignite in the acr as I ran them a second time. Although they did in my Romanian akm. I’m looking for a way to either extend the pin or get the round seated Deeper in the bolt. I’m open to any suggestions or anyways other people have fixed or made the ignition more reliable.
    Thank you

I've been posted about this exact issue here:
    https://www.acrforum.com/forum/acr-g...s-steel-3.html

Short version. You need a extra power hammer sprint AND a firing pin that extends further out than the stock firing pin. The ar15 "enhanced" x39 firing pins are around 0.041". I bought a steel firing pin on gunbroker years ago and machined it so it extended further. That plus the Wolff extra power hammer spring gave me reliable ignition on all ammo. I'm trying to find a source of steel firing pins now with no success.

Forum Lurker
    Thank you so much.
    Is there anyway we could find someone to make steel firing pins? Possibly contract with someone or find someone with your expertise and equipment? Do you think there’s a big enough market for someone to sell these? I assume if and when bushmaster ever starts selling 7.62x39 kits there might be .

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

I emailed firingpins.com to ask if they'll do a steel batch since they already do a titanium one. Couldn't hurt if multiple people pinged them to ask so they could know the actual interest.
    Last edited by jamesavery22; 05-16-2019 at 05:59 AM.

I ended up trying to machine the titanium firing pin last night. Went much easier than expected. Made sure the piece was very secure. Used new or newly sharpened carbide bits. I machined the 3 shoulders back so the tip of the pin extended 0.055" from the face. Will do some testing this week.

Let me know how it goes. Do you think that it will affect the heat treating since you cut it? If this is a problem that I’m going to run into I will probably send a bunch to get ionbonded. I have 3-4 conversions here that I’m sending out within the next 2 weeks.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No clue. My experience with titanium is 0. Will report back after initial testing and hopefully a fair volume of testing after.

First two mags worked fine:

Forum Lurker
    Thats great news, glad I found this thread. Here we are 3 weeks later, is it still working to your satisfaction?

Yup yup. Haven't shot it a ton though. Right at 250 rounds. Will report back after 1k.