So I Finally Got to Shoot my ACR
Join Today
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So I Finally Got to Shoot my ACR

I think the only thing worse than craving a gun is actually having one and not being able to shoot it. So a week after I got my ACR I finally got to take it to the range. Pics a little later.

Overall, I really liked it. It felt nice and shot accurately with almost no problems. I only shot about 140 rounds or so, American Eagle 55 gr. .223 FMJ. We zeroed it in from 25 yards because, without binoculars there was no way to tell if we were hitting the target at all, much less where. Still, it was nice to go get the target after shooting it and not getting any feedback as to whether it was hitting anything or not.

At 25 yards, it was very consistent. It was shooting low (you'll see what I mean in the pics), yet consistently. I had some dead-center bullseyes which was nice. Everything went great except for one jam when loading a fresh magazine. Somehow the first round did not seat properly so when I tried to cycle in a new round the first one got stuck between the bolt and the top of the chamber. I freaked out for about two seconds because it looked pretty stuck, ejected the magazine, two unspent roundss came out with it, then was able to clear the chamber of the stuck cartridge without too much trouble. I'm not sure what caused that, and it could have been user error. I'll just keep a watch out for any other problems. No FTF/FTE's or any problems of any kind aside from that.

About the only thing I did not like about it was the sights. Not that they're bad, they're the stock flip-up sights, however I'm used to more open (I guess Dovetail) sights, so that threw me for some reason. I also always shoot w/ both eyes open and found it hard to do with these sights. This is not really a problem, just personal preference. I noticed the weight, probably because I was aware that it was heavier than an AR-15, however it was not at all bad. I thought the ambi-safety would bother me, however if I left my finger inside the groove of the lower receiver just below where the safety reaches it was a non-factor.

Everything else was positive. I need to zero it in, however it grouped very well. It was smooth with light recoil, felt nice, very familiar controls going from the AR to the ACR. It felt very intuitive to use. I really want a nice optic for it though. I'm normally an iron sights guy, however the closed-circle rear sight just threw me for some reason. However practice should help a lot with that. I am glad I got it.

Other than that, pics coming soon . . .

-Cheers
    Last edited by Dave_I; 08-20-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Forum Lurker
    It took me a month to get mine off to the range for a 150-round function check. And only 11 months to get the order filled.

Anyway, I feel your pain. A week can be a long, long time to wait.

Thanks for the range report. The feeding mess, eh, chalk it up to..........

As far as the sites go, just like you said, it's personal preference. I used to be a dovetail post guy, but after using a peep site, I find it hard going back.

Glad your outing was positive!!
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Good to hear you got to put some rounds through it. I also keep my trigger finger in that groove down by the bolt release, and have never had a problem with the selector lever hitting my finger when I thumb it off safety.

So I finally got around to getting a few pics, two from me shooting and a few of the gun and my first targets.

First, here is me with the gun. I'm not sure what I'm doing here; I think I'm squinting trying to figure out where my shots are landing. I look like a slackjawed jokel, but for what it's worth I did not know I was being photographed.

Here's another shot of me aiming. Riveting.

So here is the gun. Pretty standard Basic ACR. However...

While it did not show up too well, I have an AVG2, which I really like, and I put Magpul L5 polymer rails on the bottom and sides. I could put two smaller rails on the bottom for more real estate, however the L5 fits the AVG perfectly and I do not really see a need for more railing. The L5 fits the side spacings perfectly as well and it give me the option of putting something on there in the future. It also looks cool, however that only matters for about 2.5 seconds after which I doubt I'll ever notice it again. The only thing else I want for it for now is a nice optic and the folding stock. And lots of bullets.

Another closeup of the front w/ the rail & grip from the other side.

And here is the right side from a distance.

As for the target, I need to zero the gun in. We started at 50 yards, however forgot field glasses and could not tell what we were hitting (I was hitting it, just low and could not see). Then we moved to 25 yards and I could tell I was hitting it low, yet without binoculars it was hard to know where after a while. I think the gun was very consistent, I was moving it around to try and figure out how far off I was from my sight picture. Hence the one lone duck upper-left. Still, it grouped fairly consistently, if unimpressively, and I'm pretty sure it's a goner.

So this is one my friend was shooting my PPQ. I thought I'd try and switch to this (they were right next to each other at the range) and see if I could tell how low I was aiming after adjusting the front sight. My first shot with the ACR is the one on the right side of the bullseye (the other two are I believe my shots with the PPQ). So I got it just about dead-on for one shot, then most of the rest ended up low except for when I tried to compensate and aim higher. Again, I think field glasses would helped a lot since I felt like I was practically shooting blind.

And a money shot of my bull's eye from the second target.

Anyway, once I get sighted in I think it will be great. It was a lot of fun and I should be able to improve quite a bit with it. I cannot wait to get out there again with it.

-Cheers

Forum Lurker
    What range is that? Weird buildings behind, and off to the right looks like a farm. And the grass is kinda weird too.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedoom View Post
    What range is that? Weird buildings behind, and off to the right looks like a farm. And the grass is kinda weird too.
    Twin City Rod & Gun Club in Neenah, WI. One of the buildings is the club house. I'm not sure if it started out as something else. There are homes kind of close by, however it is out in the country a ways. The grass? I'll blame that on the drought.

-Cheers

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_I View Post
    Twin City Rod & Gun Club in Neenah, WI. One of the buildings is the club house. I'm not sure if it started out as something else. There are homes kind of close by, however it is out in the country a ways. The grass? I'll blame that on the drought.

-Cheers
    No no, I'm talking about there being grass period. I've never seen outdoor range that wasn't either cement or dirt.

Every range i have been to has had grass. Some had cement at the firing line, but everything else is grass

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team A.P.W.R. - Tactics and Training Chief

I'm an idealist, with an assault rifle

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys229 View Post
    Every range i have been to has had grass. Some had cement at the firing line, but everything else is grass

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Well I guess a more accurate depiction is ones that aren't has full of grass as the one, or even well taken care of.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast