Gas system length
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hob
    Forum Lurker

Gas system length

Obviously there are two different lengths of the ACR gas system. A shorter system where the gas block is covered by the handguard and a longer system. Why that? I'd prefer the shorter one. It looks much better.

Forum Lurker
    Yes, it does appear so. IMO the barrels in the 2012 BM catalog look to be shorter than carbine length as well.

Wise Member
    The shorter carbine gas system has not been released from Bushmaster. They show the shorter system in the new catalog but you can't buy it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Hob
    Forum Lurker
    Ok, but why are there two different gas systems?

Hob, please look around the forum. There is a god awful amount of information on the carbine vs mid length and what works, what is factory, and what is custom. It will save a lot of time and you will become much more informed by reading up on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob View Post
    Ok, but why are there two different gas systems?
    I believe the same reasons as the AR15 has different gas systems. There was supposed to be a rifle length as well but you know how that goes.
    ''Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.''

Hob
    Forum Lurker
    HK has one length for all barrel lengths on the 416. FN with the SCAR, too. It would be more economic to have just one length.

I've read that a shorter piston rod would be better because it will not bow as much as a longer rod would do. This would cause trouble with its reliability. So its evident why the rifle length piston system was canceled.

Personally I would want carbine length. It would be nice if the gas block/system was made to take standard AR gas port size and shares the same taper pin mounts too along with no need for a milled out space for the piston support. And while I'm at it somehow use the same bolt too.
    ''Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.''

Uxi
    Quote Originally Posted by BoovarBjarki View Post
    Personally I would want carbine length. It would be nice if the gas block/system was made to take standard AR gas port size and shares the same taper pin mounts too along with no need for a milled out space for the piston support. And while I'm at it somehow use the same bolt too.
    That's the original plan Magpul had in their tech note: standard AR barrels. Instead of a notch and support, the piston rod was connected/supported by the locking ring/handle.

I am curious if there was a technical reason for deviating from that plan or if the interest was to lock us into BM for gas system and barrels instead of the existing AR aftermarket. It looks simple enough to ditch BM's idea and just make a ring with a hole to do the job... might need to shim/grind out some space on the locking ring (and/or replace some of the current components...) but that sounds like something apwr could have done with his eyes closed. The tricky part being the regulator and/or gas block changes but that can be solved by bigdog's method (set screw in the gas block), too....

Regulator was supposed to have been 3-way (“S” for Suppressors, “R” for normal opera- tion, and “H” for high-altitude, extreme cold, fouled weapon or other impaired function conditions.)
    Last edited by Uxi; 04-29-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    ---
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom — depart from us in peace. We seek not your counsels nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" -- Samuel Adams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote Brown Basic Folder (pinned, thanks to the absurd laws in California)

i wish we had more than 2 gas settings, the shorter gas systems have slightly more recoil due to the higher pressures generated. not sure if thats completely true for a gas piston operated platform as it is for an ar15
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast